HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:35 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,510 Posts
sounds like its time for a new TX time to move to 2.4 i hear the Aurora 9 is great
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
sounds like its time for a new TX time to move to 2.4 i hear the Aurora 9 is great
Perhaps....but if I can manage for now by getting a different gyro, I think that will make it past the wife a little easier than a whole new Tx...LOL

Now it's a matter of actually finding an Esky ek2-0704....everyone's out of stock, or they only have the ek2-0704B versions......
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
You can get a CT6b Tx/Rx combo from Hobbypartz. They are pretty cheap but you need to always connect to a PC to program it.
Your far better off finding a computer radio.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
You can get a CT6b Tx/Rx combo from Hobbypartz. They are pretty cheap but you need to always connect to a PC to program it.
Your far better off finding a computer radio.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
Eventually I'll make the transition....still have all my 72mhz Rx's though....for now I'm stuck with the 4 channel. Is there any other decent gyro that has a built in gain dial (similar to the Esky 704? The 704 A or B won't work in airplanes for some reason? From what I've read, the 704 was discontinued and the 704B is supposed to be it's replacement (can find plenty of them around too)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:20 AM
New in the game
Nederland, ZH, Capelle aan den IJssel
Joined Feb 2011
126 Posts
The Esky 704-B works fine for me... you just need to play around with the TX to set it up right.

i used this site also to get the gyro's working for me.. : http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/
Remko is offline Find More Posts by Remko
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:04 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonj View Post
for now I'm stuck with the 4 channel. Is there any other decent gyro that has a built in gain dial
I just had a weird idea. You could use a servo tester to feed the gyros gain channel. Sort of an on-board fifth channel!
I believe the servo testers power supply would need to have a common ground with your receiver for this to work.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:29 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I have a TG-380 but the 2nd one I got was intermittant. I have yet to see if it was a loose wire or what.
Servo tester is a good idea.
rctimer.com is where I've gotten mine cheap. You will need some extra wiring to power it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:06 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Parkzone UM T-28 with Rate Gyro

Nearly the same install as the P-51D. The platform did not need to be raised from the foam - it was ca'd directly behind the rx. This one went together quick based from the P51 experience....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1325

I placed the board directly at the CG of the plane. See black dot on wing. The only issue is the access to the trim pots - this one does not have a hatch since the board sits directly underneath the canopy.

------
Notes after Maiden: Flew it in 5-12 mph winds, and it was horrible. With a cowl that acts like a parachute and a dihedral that's more extreme than the p-51, it was a handful in the wind. In a crosswind the T-28 rolled easily from the wider, longer, and angled wings. The gyro could not keep up due to the slow ailerons that is characteristic of this model. A strong gust head-on would literally stop this ultra micro and cause it to balloon upwards - powering into the wind made this worse. I added a throttle -> down elev mix that helped somewhat, but when the wind died down I got the opposite of ballooning. The airframe is just not as good in the wind as the torpedo shaped p51. :-(

Oh well, I'll keep the gyro in it just in case it gets caught in the turbulence of a butterfly.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Sep 01, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: final
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Melnic, I have a question for ya.
I set up the gyros OK, and linked them each to a knob (ch6/8) for adjustment. Works well. I have this Futaba FF8 radio:
http://mmi.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipa.../ff8manual.pdf
However, I have set an additional PMIX to allow shutting them off with 1 switch. I used this method, basically it mixes the knob to "0" when you hit a switch:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u-q52.html
It works, BUT it seems to activate HH Mode slightly when in the supposed "OFF" position. This is bad, as the surfaces quickly drift and lock, until switched back into Rate Mode.
Is this a case of a 'false zero'? My radio allows 3 values to change: the mix % (set at -100%/-100%); link (ON); Offset (0). These are the recommended values as per the instructions in the second link above. Yet the HH problem.

Can I cure this by altering one of the values?

Thanks
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
The Esky 704-B works fine for me... you just need to play around with the TX to set it up right.

i used this site also to get the gyro's working for me.. : http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/
Well...I found both an Esky 704 and a Futaba GY240 in the classifieds section of this site....bought them both, so between them, I should be able to get something in the air! (and of course delaying the upgrade to 2.4 ghz for at least the time being) heh
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:46 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
nice guy, Not sure I fully understand what you did but you need a way to set an offset or subtrim to that "0", OFF is a low rate gain. I don't think I EVER and up in the middle, I'm always offset a little to one end. In my vidoes I show how I adjust subtrim to get a low rate gain "off" condition.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:53 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Flite Test - Gyro on a Plane - FLITE TIP (9 min 44 sec)
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:35 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
cute video, glad it's being brought to the forefront more.
It would have been good if they had emphesized MORE that a gyro on the ailerons would help stabilize in the wind. SOOO many times, I go to my field and people are not flying because of the wind. Either because of a crosswind (rudder) or just windy and they fear the wings flipping on them during landing (aileron).
I dissagree that the HK401 is as good as a $99 gyro. (unless of course they mean an over priced eflite piezo gyro that your local hobby shop is selling for $99.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:30 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Yes, there seems to be a great deal of misconceptions in regards to using a gyro. I don't know why. I think it's a great tool to have on board a plane. You can use it when you need it, and if you don't want too just switch it to a low setting or turn it off entirely (best done with a bypass switch - like the gws unit. Some gyros do not like a value of 0 for a gain. Take Note!). What it does do is increase your flying opportunities, and even affords you with a bit of machine protection(assisting in landing & takeoff, windy days, ..etc...). Anyhow, I find it a neat piece of technology. Myself, I'd rather be flying then fixing.

The one that gets me the most is, "the gyro does the flying for you". Well guess what happens when I let go of the sticks? That video presents a few of these misconceptions, and I think if they had referred to your writeup and this thread, the video would've been more informative.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Sep 05, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:37 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
E-Flite UMX Beast with an Aileron Gyro

Installing a head holding gyro in an E-flite Ultra Micro Beast

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: With the announcement of the E-Flite AS3X rx's please keep in mind the following:

1. This IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE of that system.
2. This represents 2 seperate Heli gyros being applied to two control surfaces of an airplane.
- They work independently of each other, and so there is no mixing or master program that ties the two in influencing the flying of this plane.
4. This is a very crude form of stabilization. However, it excels in wind dampening, and in preventing ground loops (for those using gyros on rudders).
5. All parameters where adjusted to my flying style.
6. Like everything I do, it's always work in progress...Lol...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I modelled this a while ago in Real Flight G5.5. You can find it in the Knifedge forums. The real thing should be very close to the simulation model. For now the actual will only have one gyro whereas the sim has it on all three axis.

http://knifeedge.com/forums/download...=file&id=15712 (read the description, and just turn off the elevator and rudder gyros to get a feel of how the model below will fly).

For the Aileron's I'll be using a Turnigy Mini mems, and for the Elevator and Rudder it will be the GA250's (when they come back from Meng ---- October/November?). Hopefully the 6400LBL BEC can take the load of three gyro's. The Turnigy looks similar when compared to the Spartan Quark. The Turnigy, and GA250's will provide mem's, remote gain, HH and more importantly analog servo setting.

Pic's of the Spartan Quark from Ampdraw: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post15052566

----------------------
How is the UMX Beast in the wind?: Compared to the T-28 (similar fuselage shape) it is similarly slow, but with the pulling torque of a BL setup. Compared to the P-51 it too pierces the wind but at the same time it is much more manueverable. It's so far the best looking micro there is, and it's getting cheaper! Overall, it is by far the best wind flyer o ut of the three due to the bl motor and flat airfoils.

The problem with the stock UMX Beast (as is) in high winds is its sensitivity of the controls (needed for Aerobatics), and those first few feet from the takeoff/landing strip. You'll tend over control it, and once the wings reach a certain angle against the wind....it's over. That's where the HH feature of this particular gyro comes into play. You use it to guide you during takeoff, and into gaining a high enough altitude to play around in. Once your comfortable, you switch to your chosen value of rate mode, and fly like you normally fly. The flat wings literally slice into any oncoming gust. Strong winds however will demand lower gain values since It will flutter at times due to high mechanical gain of the four ailerons working in unison and the slow linear servos-this is the beauty of having a remote gain. Using a 3-pos switch an a tx will allow you to set 3 different gain values.

This particular gyro includes a Head Holding feature that can be adjusted with parameters via a hand held programmer. It is pricier than most rate only gyros.

Please read Melnic's guide on using gyro's in airplanes that is found in the first posting of this thread. It explains head holding.

Note #1: This is a guide for installing a single gyro for an external servo on the 6400LBL. I do not "think" it is possible to install an additional gyro to one of the integrated servos because the signal is processed on a chip and sent directly to the servo's power connection. There is no additional signal wire present. For more than one gyro we will need the newer 6400NBL board and three external servos.This will be the topic of a future build. (Post Note: I've been able to incorporate a 2nd gyro for the elevators. I removed a servo from the board, and used a mix to get one of the aux channels to control gyro)

Note #2: The Beast comes with two aileron servos that are plugged into two seperate ports on the rx from the factory. With this gyro setup they must be connected together into a "Y" and then plugged into the gyro and from the gyro to the aileron port/channel 2. One servo may have to be reversed with a special adapter from Spektrum (some of their linear servos come pre-packaged with this servo reverser adapter - the Beast does not come with it).

Note #3: Expos on your TX will no longer work as expected in HH mode. The gyro itself however has it onboard, and you can adjust it.

Note #4Controlling your ailerons in Head Holding mode is different from normal/rate mode flying. Basically the stick becomes somewhat like an off and on switch to roll. You stop the roll by centering your stick, and the gyro will also remember the planes orientation at that moment. It will then keep that orientation without you having to correct for it (try not to touch the stick in otherwords, unless you want the plane to roll and to remember a new orientation). It takes a bit getting use to. Remember that this particular gyro was designed to control the tail of an RC helicopter. This is why some people don't like using HH mode since it feels disconnected on a planes control surfaces; however, this is a programmable gyro. This translates to adjustments we can make that can somewhat make HH feel less disconnected.

Note #5: This is a programmable gyro and it comes with a hand held unit for programming. That's great since you can tailor the performance of the gyro, and as such the response of your plane. However, it can become a pain especially when it comes to tiny connectors, and a fragile foam fuselage. You can bet on tweaking the parameters more than once till your happy, and their is no guarantee that you'll get that same feel and performance before you added the gyro.

Note #6 Watch your battery limit carefully during the first few flights in high winds. The plane will consume more since you'll be powering it more often into the wind to keep it from being blown away.

Note #7. I've now flown the Beast in winds that range from 0-25+ mph. 15 mph gusts seems to be the comfort limit. Anything higher and it just harriers barely in one spot - you can still fly around, but you get pushed back downwind in a hurry with minimal chance of getting back. Plus it's nearly wot all the time. Neat for the first 10 seconds, and then it gets kinda boring.

----------------------------------
Installation instructions

1. Tools Needed:
- Soldering iron with fine tip, 60/40 solder, and flux
- Small gauge wire stripper
- Small wire nippers
- Xacto knife with new blades. There are various blade shapes and I used
the common fine point #11, and the narrow lightweight chisel type, #17.
It's important that you use new blades.
- Slow cure CA
- 5 min Epoxy (Optional)
- Dremel with thin cutting wheel, drum sanding wheel
- Pencil
- Straight edge

2. Materials Needed:
- Turnigy Mini Mems (Roll axis)
- Blue Arrow Nano Gyro (Pitch Axis)
- Liquid Tape or small diameter heat shrink tubing
- Nano JST
- Micro JST

3. Gyro and programmer wiring, and connectors

4. Fuselage prep, and modification

6. Gyro installation

7. TX settings

8. Gyro Programming

9. Test flight

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos

UMX Beast, Digital Camera & GoPro Mount (4 min 8 sec)

UMX Beast, HD Camera & GoPro Mount (3 min 44 sec)
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Draft In process - Been busy flying...sorry!