HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:33 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Thanks-
Its a new flying ball design. There's some more info about it in the link. Its pretty crazy.
Sounds like the linking I mentioned above wont work then.
How would it fly with gyros on the top 4 surfaces (elevator/rudder) only, with the bottom 4 (dual "v-tails") slaved to teh top 4? I'm guessing this will not work when turning, as the top will fight or counter the bottom? The only way using traditional gyros is to gyro every channel, in this case 4.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Well got it together just now. Pulled a receiver out of another plane, since my one I just bought didn't show up today.
Also pulled my servo slower out of one of my copters to see how it would work. It is very realistic as far as the speed. But I forgot that mike50 made it so that it would go to the full position. Then slightly back off so it would have a load on the servos. So i can't use it for the flaps. As it goes back down about 5-10. So I am looking for one that will work with the flaps.
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Can anybody here report any experience with the Assan GA-410 yet? I know its fairly new. I just went looking and found HK is sold out.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7647

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT
NEVER MIND!! I though this was a new gryo offering, apparently it's not.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Jul 26, 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I am stupid
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:33 AM
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Ok Ok - I'm not such an idiot. The GA-410 on HK site is actually the updated and slightly renamed MEMS GA410Pro. this is reportedly larger than its predecessor but now has MEMS rather than pizo. Its currently out of stock but all future stock is the new MEMS version.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:51 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Ok Ok - I'm not such an idiot. The GA-410 on HK site is actually the updated and slightly renamed MEMS GA410Pro. this is reportedly larger than its predecessor but now has MEMS rather than pizo. Its currently out of stock but all future stock is the new MEMS version.
where does it say pro?
It still says quartz. which is Piezo
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:56 AM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
567 Posts
There is a new MEMS version of the GA-410, but I don't know what it will be called and I don't know how soon HK will start selling it. Meng has said that they have shipped to Hong Kong and Japan in the thread on the GA-250 MEMS gyro.

Has anyone had any luck with the GA-250 on planes? It's performance on my heli has been impressive and the price is right.
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
A bug was reported when using it the way we do here in this thread and how I set up the GY48V and my other gyros with a low rate gain to turn it off. They are supposed to fix it but don't know when. Using it on an airplane is not as difficult because most of us are not using heading hold mode so in rate mode, drift is a non-issue.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
A bug was reported when using it the way we do here in this thread and how I set up the GY48V and my other gyros with a low rate gain to turn it off. They are supposed to fix it but don't know when. Using it on an airplane is not as difficult because most of us are not using heading hold mode so in rate mode, drift is a non-issue.
As per my communication with Meng:
That "bug" was fixed very quickly and all those being returned for updates will have that update as well.

As for using in airplanes, I was very excited to use the GA250 in my planes after testing and simulating flight - then I discovered a midrange quirk that caused the gyro to jump to program mode and the servo to shut down until power cycled.

I'm anxiously awaiting my revised gyros and will give them a good test upon arrival. (bench first)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:29 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
As per my communication with Meng:
That "bug" was fixed very quickly and all those being returned for updates will have that update as well.

As for using in airplanes, I was very excited to use the GA250 in my planes after testing and simulating flight - then I discovered a midrange quirk that caused the gyro to jump to program mode and the servo to shut down until power cycled.

I'm anxiously awaiting my revised gyros and will give them a good test upon arrival. (bench first)
Do you know what color the label is on these new versions? Keep us updated! I'd like to use these on rudders.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:17 AM
Joined May 2009
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Do you know what color the label is on these new versions? Keep us updated! I'd like to use these on rudders.
I don't think the label color will change -- but for a fact -no I don't know.
What I do know is anything shipped from HK from the current batch will have the inadvertent entry to program mode issue resolved (although I've not tested the fix yet) -- and anything sent to be updated will have this taken care of as well if it was shipped after 7/20 (maybe earlier, but I'm not sure about that). I don';t think anybody could have had their gyros to Assan for updates before that date -- so I'm reasonably confident that all of those updated will have this update.

I don't think the label color is changing -- but when I receive my new gyros from Meng I'll let you know for sure. I'll also give them a thorough going over and see how they perform.

I have high hopes for them. If they work as I expect them to -- I'm going to be making an investment into a bunch of GA-250's. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy flying when I have this additional control when I want it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:29 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
I have high hopes for them. If they work as I expect them to -- I'm going to be making an investment into a bunch of GA-250's. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy flying when I have this additional control when I want it.
Yes, same here!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
There seems to be a lot of interest in the GA-250 gyro. Could somebody who is familiar explain the desirable features of this particular unit ?

Thanks,

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Size, cost. Although I put Size as a bigger emphasis than cost. It's only a few $$ less than the GY48V (to USA markets) when you factor in shipping.
The drawback (I keep saying this huh?) is that the GY48V is easier to set up in an airplane for those not familiar with Gyros.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:05 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrcman View Post
There seems to be a lot of interest in the GA-250 gyro. Could somebody who is familiar explain the desirable features of this particular unit ?

Thanks,

Dick
One big plus is it uses mem's gyro sensors, as opposed to piezo (also goes by "quartz" sensor).

http://www.rchelisite.com/how_do_gyros_work.php

It too is simple to setup since it does basically rate or HH, and you can change the gain via your tx.

The second big plus is that the manufacturer (lead engineer?) has an ongoing correspondence with us customers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362819

The third big plus, it is about the size of Spartan Quark.

The forth big plus is that is $9.99.

The fifth and most important big plus is that Scott Page will give it a thorough testing for us.

The big minus is that they used the public to beta test the software, and with no provisions on the unit itself for upgrades (usb, specialized cable interface etc). To get any updates you have to return the unit(s) to China.

Another big minus is that it is not feature riched as the Spartan Quark.

------------------

It makes me wonder if the revamped ga410 and ga510 will be as well recieved as the GA250 when it first appeared. I see that now the ga250 is well stocked as opposed to being always sold out. Maybe people have learned to become wary.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Aug 01, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
212 Posts
One of the things I wondered about was resistance to airframe vibration and overall stability. I have a Futaba 401 and a couple of HK 401b's. I think the Futaba is a MEMS and the HK is a piezo. Is that correct ?

The difference in operating behavior between the Futaba and the HK is night and day. The Futaba is a dream to use and once set up you never even know it's there unless you turn it off to see the difference in the airplane's behavior. On the plane with the HK's there was a lot of jitter and they seemed more vulnerable to limit cycle in the air. I finally removed the HK's because the improvement in flying quality was no more than a push relative to the added weight and bulk.

If I had another plane that really needed a rate gyro right now I'd go ahead and spend the money for another Futaba 401. I don't like spending money any more than the next guy, but from what I've seen so far, you get what you pay for.

Where would you put the GA-250 relative to the Futaba 401 and the HK 401b ?

Thanks again,

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Last edited by otrcman; Aug 01, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: expanded question