HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:31 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Leet, I can't get youtube at work and did not see your entire video. Look to your PM. I'd like you to email me your T6config file.

mchldpy,
right, YOur just changing the gain. 0 gain is not necessarily center on the switch, you gotta play with subtrim or the flap position while looking at the lights for BEST results. Sometimes you can get lucky and 0/center works but not always I've found.
what Leet has done works on the CT6A/CT6B but those with other radios will do it differently.

http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Melnic, I'll do one for the DX7/GY401 combo if you're interested?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Melnic, I'll do one for the DX7/GY401 combo if you're interested?
It should be the same pretty much as the GY48V which is basically a copy except you gotta initialize in HH mode right?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Yep, but the initialization is the somewhat complicated part. Have to have switches in the right place when you power up radio and then flip to HH mode prior to plugging in the esc. I can get the sequence right most of the time now, but I still mess it up sometimes.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:36 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Do a vid and post it

I did add that comment to the gyro list:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:31 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
theleetbeagle,
so, when you flip the toggle to "off", it's not killing the power to either one it's just setting the gain to "0" in both and disabling the vr knob? when the toggle is set to on and the vr knob is in the middle position (theoretically not in rate or hh) is that basically the same thing except that the vr knob is still live?
100% correct.
theleetbeagle is offline Find More Posts by theleetbeagle
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
212 Posts
Correction please on your gyro comparison table

Quoted from here: http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
About the Turnigy 380 Gyro: "Has a gain wire but unusable. Small compact Rate only gyro. Gain dial is a bit hard to work with."

This is incorrect. The gain wire is not a gain wire, it is an on/off signal wire so that you can program an auxiliary channel on your remote to flip a switch and turn the gyro on or off in flight. This could be very useful for hovering, for example. Set the gain very high (60-80%) on 3 separate gyros on the plane--one on each axis. Then wire all three signal wires together from each gyro, plug them all into an aux channel in your receiver, and use a remote switch to activate or inactivate all 3 gyros together. Fly with them all off for normal flight, and turn them on in flight at the flip of a switch for literally hands-off hovering.

Hand-off hovering shown here:
3D Gyro AND Crash Testing! (see sidebar) (8 min 29 sec)

(though this video is *without* having the ability to turn the gyros on or off in flight)
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
panther3001,
when you say turn off and on in flight, are you sure it's killing the power or just killing the gain input so it reads "0" gain?
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
melnic and leet,
thank you for putting up with all my questions.

michael clyde
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3001 View Post
Quoted from here: http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
About the Turnigy 380 Gyro: "Has a gain wire but unusable. Small compact Rate only gyro. Gain dial is a bit hard to work with."

This is incorrect. The gain wire is not a gain wire, it is an on/off signal wire so that you can program an auxiliary channel on your remote to flip a switch and turn the gyro on or off in flight.
Can you shoot a video of you turning it on and off on the bench and your setttings. I've got like 3 other people confirming theirs did nothing.
I could never get mine to work. I expected it to be an on/off control but it did not turn it on/off. I played like 2 hours with it on the bench.

Video
RC powers was using a rate gyro (704) I've flown all 3 in rate mode, its NOT "autopilot"
Heading hold might work, but I've yet to tweek my gain correct.y
YES, 3 axis RATE mode will hover easier, but NOT in autopilot. SORRY, but I dissagree with what Powers is saying.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:19 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
melnic,
"The remote control channel does not control gain in this gyro. It controls the throw range - i.e. the amount of deflection for any given sensory input (angular acceleration).

The gain is adjustable only from the potentiometer.

In my opinion, the remote adjustment is useless in those gyros as it tends to mess with servos' centering."
this is a quote from dimitris76, after reading this i have sense found other post complaining of this gyro affecting servo centering points after people tried using the (gain) adjustment lead. even "chinglish" instructions would be better than none at all.

michael clyde
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:10 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
yes, I've noticed how the gain wire (yes, I'll call it gain wire cause that's what the wire is commonly called for gyros) has no positive effect. Thus my write up on the gyro page so that people don't get any false impressions. If it's caused so much confusion or problems,I'm leaving my statement as is.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
I could not get the wire to have any effect...if someone has a clue how to do it a DYI post would be welcome.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
dimitri76 seems to know more about this gyro than anybody else i've found. a partial quote from him "The remote control channel does not control gain in this gyro. It controls the throw range - i.e. the amount of deflection for any given sensory input (angular acceleration)."

if you pm him i'd bet my 2 cents he'd help
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Which would suggest its always "on"
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory