HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
That ebay vendor adds shipping so that's about $10 a gyro. Not that bad at all.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
That ebay vendor adds shipping so that's about $10 a gyro. Not that bad at all.
Yeah! I thought they were a pretty good deal as well... He's quoting in British Pounds, but at the current exchange rate, you're right that's about $10 USD... But he also does shipping discounts if you mail him and ask him. So if you're ordering four or more of them get him to invoice it, and ask for a shipping discount, it gets even cheaper. He's got good feedbacks too and lot of other good stuff in his store. I bought quite a lot from him. I'm in the UK by the way....

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

P.S. Just a quick note to the "if you need a gyro, you shouldn't be flying a plane" crowd. I personally fly planes because I want to make them fly (obvious no?)... I don't see why having to fight a plane to force it to fly is more fun. When we design a plane we design it to achieve specific things in the air. Why make the job more difficult.

In the late 1960's there was a similar argument from a bunch of Luddites, who said that "If you need proportional control, you shouldn't be flying a plane" DOH!!! (although I suspect that was more to do with the cost of propo sets at the time) I haven't heard that one lately.

As far as I'm concerned the whole point of fitting gyros is that you can get the plane to self stabilise in situations where a human being couldn't react fast enough, no matter how hard they tried, whether that is in high wind or high rate aerobatics or high alpha 3d on a plane that otherwise wouldn't perform in those conditions.

It's much like the argument from some Luddite Gasser pilots, who think that if it's not made of balsa wood and making 100db screaming and farting noises, then it's not a "REAL" plane. If that's the case, then I'll just carry on playing with my unreal planes and getting them to do things that gasser pilots and anti gyro luddites can't do QED.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Last edited by FozzyTheBear; May 17, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Can I use a gyro on ailerons that have two servos?
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Last edited by bobf; May 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:16 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Good points Fozzy, I'll have to add your quote to my website.

Bobf, check out my website and read the FAQ.

http://www.mycoolheli.com/gyro

I've put a gyro on ONE of the ailerons on a plane that had 2 ailerons w/ flapperons.
I've also put a gyro on a plane w/ 2 ailerons that use a Y splitter. One thing I'm going to have to look into is POWER distribution. I would imagine that on larger servos, the gyros are not designed to think about a servo needing alot of power like say a 100ozin servo. I've done 2 standard sized servos servos w/ a Y splitter before, but not a giant scale servo.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:16 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
I would imagine that on larger servos, the gyros are not designed to think about a servo needing alot of power like say a 100ozin servo.
That's a very good question.

It's possible though that it might not matter. I suspect that the power is a direct pass through to the Servo on the 5v or 6V red line in the Servo lead. The Gyro is only modifying the signal in the servo signal line, to increase or decrease the number of pulses per second. So It's possibe that it makes no difference what the power of the servo is. As long as it works before fitting the gyro it should still work afterwards.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old May 18, 2009, 07:13 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I was actually thinking about the traces on the gyro board and if they made them too thin, they would drop some voltage. It would be easy for me to do a test at home w/o taking a gyro apart. I have a 100" gasser w/ some giant scale servos I could experiment with.

-David
Old May 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Hi again David,
Quote:
I was actually thinking about the traces on the gyro board and if they made them too thin, they would drop some voltage.
Curiosity is a devil! LOL I just opened up one of the Esky ones to have a look..... No problem... The power and return lines are both connected to the same pins on the board, just paralleled through on both the input and output connectors. So the servo is still getting the full voltage down the line, and the circuit tracks in the Gyro have no effect on that. The Gyro circuit itself will have a very nominal current draw and as I suspected, It's only modifying the pulses on the control line which run at nominal logic level.
Quote:
It would be easy for me to do a test at home w/o taking a gyro apart. I have a 100" gasser w/ some giant scale servos I could experiment with.
Should work fine... The test will prove that one for you. It's probably worth doing just to see how a big servo responds.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Last edited by FozzyTheBear; May 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old May 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Cool Fozzy. I'll not bother messing with the Esky.
That forgotten stepchild of a gyro is quite often thrown out by heli pilots. It's turning out to be a decent airplane basic gyro it seems.
Old May 22, 2009, 05:21 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Cool Fozzy. I'll not bother messing with the Esky.
That forgotten stepchild of a gyro is quite often thrown out by heli pilots. It's turning out to be a decent airplane basic gyro it seems.
They work great for me.....

I got hold of some of those GWS Gyro switches you recommended, way cheaper than the lighting switches I used on my previous plane. Ran them up, on the bench they work great!!

Perfect for testing because you can get up to altitude before turning the Gyros on , and test the settings on them with a greater degree of safety for the plane.

They're also great for being able to switch the Gyros off when I want the highest roll rates. Very nice .... You are the daddy!!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old May 22, 2009, 10:03 PM
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
I put up a thread and got zero response on the new FMA auto pilot. They use the difference in temperature between the ground and sky for information. Not too sure if you can use separate aileron servos or switch it in or out in flight. What happens if your flying over hills and the ground is not level?

The latest issue of AMA's magazine MA had a review of the original FMA auto pilot. As I remember I think Futaba had something similar. The Review couldn't say enough about how great the FMA unit was. I'm a curmudgeon and don't believe nothing anymore after a long life of being lied to on just about every thing. So does thing work? Claims you can even fly upside down etc. Really? Humph.

The new one sells for about $200 so I'm not about to buy one until someone else bites the bullet first. Seems like in theory it would be better then a gyro for airplane use. You override the system by using the sticks and it takes over when the sticks are centered.

So I'll ask again whats the deal on this thing compared to a gyro?
Any body really know?
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Old May 22, 2009, 10:19 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Here is my take on my Co-Pilot(org) It will correct back to level flight as soon as you center the stick. This means the plane will not maintain a turn with out sum stick. I found it would fight me to much so I stopped using it. I really did not try that hard to get it work.
While I think a gyro will try and maintain what ever is the current condition. I use a gyro on the rudder of my NewBee for easier taxing. It all so helps in the wind.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old May 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty IV
So I'll ask again whats the deal on this thing compared to a gyro? Any body really know?
CPD4 MMMmmm!! Don't bother unless you're a beginner..... That would be my take on it.

I got fed up with the damned thing fighting me in the air. Which is why I moved to using gyros, and yes it does get confused by hills and by different weather conditions (hates snow and water) and as far as I know you can't switch it off in the air. The other problem with it is as bobf pointed out... the plane won't hold a banked turn unless you have some stick input. so you're constantly fighting back and forth with it to get the plane to turn well. Not a great product IMHO.... and way more expensive than gyros.

You can only use it on twin aileron servos if you use a Y cable and even then it's not recommended to do it by the manufacturer.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old May 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Dunno anything about a copilot but Just for your info, Gyros are for stabilization from movement, not for correcting the airplanes's attitude.

Think of a gyro as correcting "UNWANTED" or "UNCOMMANDED" movements, not for getting out of trouble. My purpose of using a gyro in the airplanes is to minimize the affect of wind on smaller planes.

I know some helicopter pilots use the most recent helicommand and they can switch it off and on. They unfortunatly report that once you go aerobatic, your fighting it. I kinda think unless you normally have it turn off and ONLY turn it on when you "loose it" then it's a crutch. But I've not tried it and I am an experianced pilot so I guess I can't give a review of something I have not used, but I don't like the concept unless your flying w/o an instructor helping you out. So if you could use it as a "parachute" or "get out of jail free card" then I'd think it would be helpful. A trainer from tower hobbies is $69 plus labor so I'm not sure what spending all that amount of money is saving anyone if your spending time on a simulator and are flying at an AMA sactioned field with an instructor. I know our field will NOT solo a pilot who is using a Co-Pilot system during the solo test, they have to disconnect it for the test.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the answers on the FMA autopiliot. Doesn't surprise me at all. For some reason AMA in just about every issue of MA gives FMA a lot of PR. You should read the article and review. Bummer.
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Old May 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
the fma unit works on a totaly diferent priciple then the gyro's
The fma "looks" at the horizon and wants to keep cold (sky) up and warm(earth) down.
A gyro reacts on a g force and gives a correction based on that g force.
So a gyro will for example work indoors , in the dark , over water and snow while the fma unit will not.
WHat the fma unit WIL do is level the model with the horizon as reference and a gyro wil NOT level a model just stop the movement (in rate) or try to return to the original angle (in heading hold) REGARDLESS IF THIS IS HORIZONTAL OR NOT.

For beginers the fma unit has it uses but to "tame" a plane (or atleast one axis of it) a rate gyro is the simple way to go.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder