SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
On the bench my eagle tree pro works just as it is supposed to. (I am using my gear switch to turn the gyro on and off). I take off with gyro in the off position. Once I am in the air I flip the switch to turn the gyro on and the plane does a major down spiral. Does the plane have to be flying level when I flip the switch to turn on the gyro?
Eagle A3, its not an eagle tree right?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:40 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaoleamy View Post
3G-A 3D Gyro.
where can we buy it????
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:01 AM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
where can we buy it????
Here.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:22 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Other than a case, I don't see anything the bigaole offers that the Eagle A3 Pro already does at the same price.
The A3 Pro has a known history and you can get it both in the USA and outside the US for $30. That first US supplier gives you the cables too.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:02 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,857 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a hk401b I have on a RET plane, an Underball (Nutball variant). It has dual polyhedral, and the gyro would be mounted to detect rolling and correct it using the rudder.

I found an earlier post of someone who has done it, but does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintabilly_NS View Post
If you have a RET airplane you can mount the gyro to sense a roll and correct by giving rudder input. Handy eh? I like to think of it as "adding scale mass" to make the aircraft less sensitive...almost like reducing the Reynold's numbers by electronics. It makes my planes appear scale from a distance..but that's not really a feature. :P
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
I'm thinking about putting a hk401b I have on a RET plane, an Underball (Nutball variant). It has dual polyhedral, and the gyro would be mounted to detect rolling and correct it using the rudder.

I found an earlier post of someone who has done it, but does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks
Of course we have opinions

If the only control your plane has is rudder, then trying to keep wings level will mean that every time there is a gust, your plane will yaw violently. You will also lose some directional control in gusty weather. Is that what you want?

Try it, let us know.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:41 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,641 Posts
From experience, gyros aren't worth fitting on a rudder only glider. I took mine off as there was no advantage. Ailerons, yes. Rudder only, no. Maybe a heading lock gyro if you want it to fly straighter but rudder only will not stop the roll.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:18 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,857 Posts
The Nutball banks when rudder is used.

I also think it wouldn't work because the gyro will not have a way to directly correct wind effects. I just asked anyway because I saw someone has done it.

It is a headlock gyro, I could use it in that mode but it wouldn't change much.

Maybe I'll just put it on the elevator channel then... (controlling the elevator, dah )

EDIT: just found out that 3 people at the Nutball thread have had it working once upon a time. Asked there to see if they still do...
Last edited by cmavr8; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I"ll keep saying it but headlock is in my opion NOT the way to go to try your first gyro.
It's going to be hard to make a rudder-only plane fly well in the wind. even with a gyro.

I tried bypassin the aileron gyro on my hawsky once letting on the the rudder react as well as running the aileron gyro through the rudder. It just was not worth the effort. It would wiggle before it was doing anything useful. You could try it, but well, like you posted, seeing what others did on your specific airplane really is key. IF you do it, keep the rudder control tight, no slop.

Its good to ask nutball pilots (wouldn't that encompass everyone?) cause people who comment without any real world experiance with the gyros are just increasing their post counts anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:48 PM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I"ll keep saying it but headlock is in my opion NOT the way to go to try your first gyro.
It's going to be hard to make a rudder-only plane fly well in the wind. even with a gyro.

I tried bypassin the aileron gyro on my hawsky once letting on the the rudder react as well as running the aileron gyro through the rudder. It just was not worth the effort. It would wiggle before it was doing anything useful. You could try it, but well, like you posted, seeing what others did on your specific airplane really is key. IF you do it, keep the rudder control tight, no slop.

Its good to ask nutball pilots (wouldn't that encompass everyone?) cause people who comment without any real world experiance with the gyros are just increasing their post counts anyway.
Nicely put.
I'll just try it on rate mode next time I get a chance.
Will report back.
Thanks for putting things in perspective
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
291 Posts
Worth checking out the BL-3GRC ICE-MAN gyro too if you get a chance.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Looks like a big gun in flybarless heli units have joined in....

http://cortex.bavariandemon.com/en/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5oL7v2ekRB4

What they are capable of and known for - bailout/self-leveling without the use of accelerometers.

HC3sX Horizon Mode and Rescue Mode - Goblin 630 - Part 2 (1 min 28 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Looks like a big gun in flybarless heli units have joined in....

http://cortex.bavariandemon.com/en/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5oL7v2ekRB4

What they are capable of and known for - bailout/self-leveling without the use of accelerometers.
Curious how they do the self-leveling w/o accelerometers.
Do they use another sensor (like a horizon detector)?
Or another guess: they initialize at level and then add-up all the rotations recorded by the gyros to keep track of how far away from level they are (sort of like heading-hold on level).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:27 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Curious how they do the self-leveling w/o accelerometers.
Do they use another sensor (like a horizon detector)?
Or another guess: they initialize at level and then add-up all the rotations recorded by the gyros to keep track of how far away from level they are (sort of like heading-hold on level).
I don't have a clue.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,398 Posts
The heliCommand website which I think is the same guys says this about their helicopter system:

The supplementary attitude stabilisation features an artificial horizon and three electronic gyros, and works completely independently of the prevailing visual conditions.

Suggests accelerometers to me. Pure speculation though.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604