HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:08 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
I have a really reliable stabilization system on my aircraft.

It also has an autopilot, so if you get into trouble and lose signal,
your airplane will turn around and fly back to you, then do circles in the air above you
That is a very cool setup, I really liked the video.

I have always wanted to try FPV. Can you please share more details? I don't even know where to start to get something similar to what you have there.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
aight gotta noob question. looking at the gyros/stabilizers and see where i need a ubec. my pk t-28 has a switching bec with the esc. do i still need another bec?

also how good is the i86 gyro? really looking hard at the A3 pro or the KK 2.0
Have a look over on the KK2 thread or the OpenAero2 thread for info about BEC usage.
Basically if you use the KK2 with servos you need a separate BEC on the M2 to M8 outputs to drive the servos.
I also wrote a version of openAero for the i86 board but it has WAY less features than OpenAero2 on a KK2 and NO autolevel function as it has no accelerometers.
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
I have a really reliable stabilization system on my aircraft.

It also has an autopilot, so if you get into trouble and lose signal,
your airplane will turn around and fly back to you, then do circles in the air above you

http://youtu.be/n9Vwv3XxFnI
For $285 I might get one if I was losing planes due to them flying off on me, but since I don't have that problem I'll stick with the Guardian at 1/4 the cost.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Can anyone recommend a device targeted at merely keeping the takeoff roll straight?
I have 49" taildragger that's devilishly squirrelly on the ground, especially in the swirling toilet-bowl crosswinds that are common at my field.
Is there simple, inexpensive gyro, that would hold the heading, and then after takeoff could be turned off from my DX6i?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Quote:
Melnic, thanks, just watched the 2-part video - which was great!!!

Follow-up: I'll be using a DX6i. I assume that the GY48V would be controlled by the flap/gear switch, and programmed in the flaps menu. Any special instructions for that? (The flaps menu shows "FLAP" and "ELEV," and toggles between "NORM" and "LAND.")........Again, thanks.
Dave
Well, my GY48V arrived today, and I've set it up with my plane and DX6i.........but I'm having a problem.

When I power-up, it goes into HH mode and deflects the rudder accordingly. However, I can't get it to switch out of HH and operate normally. I can turn off HH (by flipping the gear or flaps switch, whichever it's setup to), but then the rudder doesn't ever center......it just stays at the last-commanded position, until I command it to a new position - where it stays until I move it again.

And I can't get it to switch into rate mode at all.

Basic question: Does the GY48V work with the DX6i?

In the Melnic videos, he sets the travel adjusts using both positive and negative values. But in the DX6i, the travel adjust values go only from 0 to 125%. No negative values.

Could that be stopping me from being able to switch into rate mode? (If that's not it, then what am I doing wrong?)

The DX6i has no gyro menu in its airplane mode. But it does in its heli mode. Do I need to be in heli mode? If so, can I still fly an airplane normally in heli mode?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Well, my GY48V arrived today, and I've set it up with my plane and DX6i.........but I'm having a problem.

When I power-up, it goes into HH mode and deflects the rudder accordingly. However, I can't get it to switch out of HH and operate normally. I can turn off HH (by flipping the gear or flaps switch, whichever it's setup to), but then the rudder doesn't ever center......it just stays at the last-commanded position, until I command it to a new position - where it stays until I move it again.

And I can't get it to switch into rate mode at all.

Basic question: Does the GY48V work with the DX6i?

In the Melnic videos, he sets the travel adjusts using both positive and negative values. But in the DX6i, the travel adjust values go only from 0 to 125%. No negative values.
I do not have a DX6i. Here are some guesses, for what they are worth:

*2 guesses for the DX6i travel adjust:
1. On my Tx (an old Hitec), travel adjust will only seem to adjust 1 side of travel.
To be able to adjust the other side, I need to move the switch/stick to the side not being adjusted (neutral being arbitrarily associated with one side) and then
I can adjust the other side.

2. Perhaps the DX6i travel adjust is meant to be a multiplier of something that can go positive or negative.

Anyways, my memory is that on most gyros, HH will be on one side (+ or - ) of travel and rate will be on the other side of travel of the channel controling the gain. So if it seems stuck on HH, something else to try is to reverse the servo direction on the channel being used to control the gyro gain.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Thanks, Brother Llama!

Those are some interesting theories.

But I still have to ask for help from you guys on this forum: Can anyone confirm the basic question?

That is, Does the GY48V work with the DX6i? If so, does it need to be in heli mode? If so, will it fly an airplane in the normal fashion?

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Brother Llama!

Those are some interesting theories.

But I still have to ask for help from you guys on this forum: Can anyone confirm the basic question?

That is, Does the GY48V work with the DX6i? If so, does it need to be in heli mode? If so, will it fly an airplane in the normal fashion?

Not an answer to your question, but may be of interest.
On page 15 of the EN Dx6i manual: how to get both + and - travel on the flap switch:
---------------------------------------------
The Flaps function adjusts flap travel. The elevator column is an
optional flap to elevator mix in switch position 0 (NORM (normal))
and position 1 (LAND (landing)) mode.
A Flap/Gyro switch position shown by + (0=Norm, 1=Land)
B Position value ( \/ 100 to 0 to /\ 100)
-------------------------------------------------
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Thanks, Brother Llama!

That's interesting info about your manual.

But p. 15 of my English manual doesn't have anything like that. (See my p.15 below.) And I can't find anything like that anywhere in the manual.

So..............I still have to ask for help from you guys on this forum: Can some one confirm the basic question?

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
If you are using the gear channel, hook up a standard servo to it to visualize what the switch is doing.
You should be able to use the gear channel with 100% travel adjust for each side and the servo should move about 45 degrees in each direction from center. If you were to set the travel adjust to 0 & 0 then the servo should stay in the center no matter what the gear switch does. at 100% travel ajust, one direction will be HH, the other Rate. GY48V LED light is ON solid when in HH mode. Off when in rate mode and blinking when you power it up.

hook up the servo like I say just to make sure you have an understanding of how the servo out put is changing as you are adjusting the travel adjust. Once you have that understanding, then hook up your gain channel from the gyro back to the gear channel.

You can do the same thing with flaps, the values will just be different in the Tx.

I know others that have a DX6i running a gyro using gear switch. It should not be a problem. I'm going to see if I can borrow one and do a setup video or web page.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Nope.

Doesn't work.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pugsam; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
It works just as Melnic states. I also did the servo visualization on thing to see what was up. I use the same gyro on the rudder of my H9 P-51 to keep it straight down the runway then turn it "off!"
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:12 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Brother Llama!

That's interesting info about your manual.

But p. 15 of my English manual doesn't have anything like that. (See my p.15 below.) And I can't find anything like that anywhere in the manual.
I see that I have an old version of the manual.

In the newer version:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...anual_DX6i.pdf

flaps are discussed on page 68 of the manual.

LATER: It does seem that the D6Xi manual does mention travel adjust in both directions. On pages 64 to 65 of that manual:
"The Travel Adjust function allows the precise end-point adjustments of all six channels in each direction
independently. The travel adjust range is from 0–125%."

"Move the respective stick or switch in the desired direction that you wish to change the travel adjust."

-------------------------------------
One side question about the switch that you have the gyro gain hooked-up to:
is it 2 position or 3 position?

Also, with a servo hooked-up with that channel for gyro gain, try the different switch positions with both channel reverse on and off. In some of the switch positions, switching the channel reverse from off to on should move the servo arm from one side to the other.
Last edited by flying-llama; Oct 19, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
It works just as Melnic states. I also did the servo visualization on thing to see what was up. I use the same gyro on the rudder of my H9 P-51 to keep it straight down the runway then turn it "off!"
That's encouraging!

(You're using the GY48V gyro with a DX6i transmitter?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
......flaps are discussed on page 68 of the manual......the D6Xi manual does mention travel adjust in both directions. On pages 64 to 65 of that manual: "The Travel Adjust function allows the precise end-point adjustments of all six channels in each direction independently. The travel adjust range is from 0–125%."
"Move the respective stick or switch in the desired direction that you wish to change the travel adjust."
-------------------------------------
One side question about the switch that you have the gyro gain hooked-up to: is it 2 position or 3 position?
Also, with a servo hooked-up with that channel for gyro gain, try the different switch positions with both channel reverse on and off. In some of the switch positions, switching the channel reverse from off to on should move the servo arm from one side to the other.
The DX6i has 2-position switches only.

Interesting suggestion about reversing the channel. I'm playing with that.

At the moment, I have the GY48V hooked-up to the flaps channel. When I go to the DX6i's "Reverse" menu and change the flaps to R, flipping the flaps switch lets me toggle the GY48V between HH mode and rate mode -- which I haven't been able to do until now. (Why that works, I don't understand.......but I'll take it!)

I'm still experimenting and fiddling-around. But it might be test-worthy at the field...if the WX cooperates.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
DX6i Gear switch for Gyro:
For the DX6i, when you use Gear channel, Travel adjust will be your gain value.
One switch direction will be Heading HOld, the other RATE.
Whichever switch direction makes the LED come on, that will be Heading HOld.
A travel adjust value on each side closer to 0 lowers the gain of that side.
You can change the switch direction by doing a reverse (I like when my gear switch is down to be RATE mode).

DX6i Flap switch for Gyro:
Reading the manual, This is what you should do for flaps if you want to use the flaps(Aux) channel on the DX6i:
Flaps screen will look like this
FLAP ELEV
Norm+ 0 0
Land 0 0

Make it like this:
FLAP ELEV
Norm+ -30 0
Land +30 0

This will give your switch the HH/RATE functionality
Figure out which direction is HH and which is RATE.

If you want the flap switch to be RATE/OFF
move the HH side of the flap switch value from 30 to 0.
Then adjust the subtrim for flap channel so that the LED is OFF when the switch is on the 0 side.

When using flaps on the DX6i, it's different.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,954 Posts
Thanks, Melnic, that's great!

I feel like Harry Houdini just shared the secret to one of his amazing stunts.

(Did you know that Houdini was an aviation pioneer?)

RCG Plus Member