HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
I have my GY48V's gain switch on my flap(s) switch. Whatever you do, don't leave it turned on from the radio when you fly...and set the gyro for "rate", make sure you know what kind of servos you have (digital or analog). I've read if you have the gyro set for digital, and the servos are analog, you'll mess 'em up. Just what I've read, don't go quoting me now...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
I have my GY48V's gain switch on my flap(s) switch. Whatever you do, don't leave it turned on from the radio when you fly

I will leave my rudder gyro on when I fly if I did not have the gain set up to high. I also use rate mode on anything I fly if I'm not just "testing" it.

Pugsam, Here is the "more to come" I mentioned
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html
BTW, leave the ELEV setting at 0, that is an elevator offset that sometimes you need when using flaps. here you won't do anything with that, just leave it 0.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Hey Melnic, are you the one who wrote the "manual" for the Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer in the "file" section for it on Hobby King's site? I have this one coming in for my big P47, and while it doesn't come with a manual, whoever wrote that one will most definately come in handy...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Hey Melnic, are you the one who wrote the "manual" for the Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer in the "file" section for it on Hobby King's site? I have this one coming in for my big P47, and while it doesn't come with a manual, whoever wrote that one will most definately come in handy...
Yes, that was me. Manual is linked here on my website in ROW for the OrangeRx. Make sure you use Revision 3 as older versions that someone posted (without asking me) have an error in the test procedure.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniekruger View Post
I recently aquired the KK2 board for a micro quad I'm putting together for my son. Yeah, I shelved the flying lawnmower gift for a 10y/o idea for now, so I tried to find other work for the KK2. I bought a Bixler2 from HK for my first attempt at FPV flying - to get to know the airframe before I mount expensive electronics on it. So, I installed the KK2 board and went through the motions of calibrating and setting it up on the desk. It looked pretty sweet with an oddety or two. If the motor is not going, then no power supply to the control surface servos....mmmmm. I have flown it many times before without KK2 and decided it was time. I launched the Bixler and flew a few rounds without stabilization. I swithced on stabilization and found that it dipped down. I disengaged and tried a few times to see the exact symptoms. Eventually decided to land and brought it onto final approach. At the start of the runway I cut the motor for the landing and all the electronics was disengaged by the KK2. The bixler did a vertical 90degree down and whacked the ground with a thud. It happened so quick, there was no time to respond. So, my verdict - I could not get it not to occilate on a quad and it killed my Bixler. The damage this has caused due to poor programming is unforgiveable. Why would you disable control on motor cut???? I'm sure I'm not the only one. So KK2 sucks
Yup, the original KK2 software cuts control to the servos as this is fairly normal for multicopters. It's a serious bug though and one of the reasons I developed OpenAero2 for the KK2 board.
OpenAero2 is completely new software solely for aeroplanes and with many more features than the KK2 software.
Have a look at all the info and videos of happy users here.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
773 Posts
plus-plus on the kk2 B U T only with OpenAero2 firmware. i've got 2 of them and they offer more parameters and control over them than my guardian 2d-3d at half the price.
coming soon look for HappySundayS OpenAero32 for the AfroFlight32 hardware with 32-bit processor support, gps, altitude, 3-axis gyros, accel's, mags and...

michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
OpenAero2 on HK KK2.0

To build on what HappySundays said, I put together a video that describes how to setup the HobbyKing KK2.0 Multi-rotor control board on a plane using the OpenAero2 firmware developed by HappySundays. It's an inexpensive gyro option that not only gives your stabilization, but includes auto-leveling also.

Check out the setup video here:
Add Auto-leveling and Stabilization to Your RC Plane using HobbyKing KK2.0 Board (26 min 15 sec)

...and the flight test here:
HK KK2.0 Auto-Leveling & Stability Flight Test (20 min 40 sec)

I was very impressed on how well the board worked in the high winds. Works even better in low wind.

Mike
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
which would be the best for a noob for flying in the wind. been flying for couple months. would like to have something to use in my pk t28 trojan when its windy outside also for fpv for my slower planes.

first was looking at orange rx stabilizer, then the eagle brands, but then looking at the kk2.0 looks pretty sweet, i am kinda geeky with pc's, so that part doesnt scare me.

looking at getting something really soon(tired of wind keeping me down) so any and all replys are greatly appreciated.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
which would be the best for a noob for flying in the wind. been flying for couple months. would like to have something to use in my pk t28 trojan when its windy outside also for fpv for my slower planes.

first was looking at orange rx stabilizer, then the eagle brands, but then looking at the kk2.0 looks pretty sweet, i am kinda geeky with pc's, so that part doesnt scare me.

looking at getting something really soon(tired of wind keeping me down) so any and all replys are greatly appreciated.
The Eagle A3 works great but you can get the same from Hobbyking by looking up I86AP. They are the same. I have Guardians in several planes but the A3 standard in FMS T28 and it does the job for airplane stabilization in the wind. Great little setup.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:15 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,822 Posts
After returning to planes after a few years off I had a spare gyro from a helicopter that I decided to experiment with in a little PC9. It is a JR G410T and while probably outdated now still goes well as it had very little use. The little PC9 is very stable with Gyro on ailerons. I love it. It is a tight squeeze but worth it. Tail lock off. About 30%.

Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
If you grab a RC switch board, you can switch it on and off in flight. With that reciever, you should have a space channel.
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
how is that gyro held on? Make sure it does not come off in flight?

BTW, does anyone remember the teacher from the Peanuts cartoons? "wap, wapp, wapp"
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
aight gotta noob question. looking at the gyros/stabilizers and see where i need a ubec. my pk t-28 has a switching bec with the esc. do i still need another bec?

also how good is the i86 gyro? really looking hard at the A3 pro or the KK 2.0
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
FY31-AP Flight Stabilization System

I have a really reliable stabilization system on my aircraft.

It also has an autopilot, so if you get into trouble and lose signal,
your airplane will turn around and fly back to you, then do circles in the air above you

DragonLink RC System - 5km Distance for First FPV Test Flight! (13 min 16 sec)
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
how is that gyro held on? Make sure it does not come off in flight?
The gyro is held on by double sided tape and no hope of it coming off. I had to remove it one day and took the covering with it. I use the Aldis double sided tape and double it. Best double sided tape I have ever had.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid