HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:26 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I've got an A3 rate only on all my planes. I don't understand why anyone wound put a 'head hold' gyro on a regular airplane.
...
Rate gyros may not be enough to maintain a plane's roll orientation during a hover or vertical take-off. In those cases, head hold may help maintain roll orientation without needing large manual interventions on the aileron stick.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:30 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Rate gyros may not be enough to maintain a plane's roll orientation during a hover or vertical take-off. In those cases, head hold may help maintain roll orientation without needing large manual interventions on the aileron stick.
Yes, I understand that for 'special' flight maneuvers. But the vast majority of fliers don't do that stuff and HH only gets them in trouble.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:33 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
... Below that plug is one marked Aileron with a 3 wire plug (with the wrong end) and the next is the Rudder plug. Plugs below that are marked, "CH2, CH2, CH1, and CH4", respectively. ...
You listed CH2 twice, is one of these supposed to be CH3?

I hope this is not a 3 axis gyro for a CCPM CP heli. Those gyros tend to have servo outputs that mix aileron, elevator and collective pitch (an addition to, but somewhat similar to throttle) inputs (this is the CCPM mixing) that will probably be a large mess to untangle for an airplane (unless they have a special setting for airplanes).
The first 3 axis gyro units that I heard about were for CCPM CP heli's.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Oct 01, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Yes, I understand that for 'special' flight maneuvers. But the vast majority of fliers don't do that stuff and HH only gets them in trouble.

DJ
Just mentioning that because in the confined spaces that I fly, I normally will be doing "special" flight maneuvers.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:59 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Ok. My 3-axis came in today. But even tho' they mention it's great for airplanes and gliders They mainly tell you how to set it up for a helicopter.
.
.
.
Russ
Russ, to help you out, I'm going to be blunt. Your using too many words to describe your problem without giving anyone here enough actionable information.
There are LOTS of airplane as well as quad and helicopter multi axis gyros out there. Giving a text description like you have is not going to give us what we need to help.

1) What Gyro did you get (post a link to it)

2) What Tx and Rx are you using?

3) Do you have 1 or 2 Aileron servos?

Lets start with those 3 questions above, then we can help you.

thx

BTW, if anyone is looking to buy a gyro and they are not sure about it, go ahead and post a link here and maybe someone knows of a specific thread on it
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Yes, I understand that for 'special' flight maneuvers. But the vast majority of fliers don't do that stuff and HH only gets them in trouble.

DJ
DJ,

Heading hold is a hoot to fly with in a plane. Don't knock it until you try it. The Guardian has a nice range of adjustments for heading hold in both 2D mode and 3D. The downside is the pilot workload drops tremendously and when you return to regular plane you can forget.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:16 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Bill just be aware that the Guardian is a rather special case as it does fairly sophisticated "heading hold" because it contains accelerometers as well as gyros. Agree it is fun to play with.

Simple heading hold gyros on the other hand can result in some very odd effects.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
DJ,

Heading hold is a hoot to fly with in a plane. Don't knock it until you try it. The Guardian has a nice range of adjustments for heading hold in both 2D mode and 3D. The downside is the pilot workload drops tremendously and when you return to regular plane you can forget.

Bill
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:32 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
DJ,

Heading hold is a hoot to fly with in a plane. Don't knock it until you try it. The Guardian has a nice range of adjustments for heading hold in both 2D mode and 3D. The downside is the pilot workload drops tremendously and when you return to regular plane you can forget.

Bill
Bill I think I hear what your saying.

But the point I'm speaking too is doesn't an average flyer want or need HH. But what I'm hearing from you and others seems to be a defense of having HH for an average flier.

Bill I'm not being contentious but that doesn't answer the question. Your telling me "don't knock it until you try it" I damn near can't fly the plane now and we got wind. I thought the gyro helps that and I know it does from experience.

Someone needs to clear up who needs HH and who doesn't.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Bill just be aware that the Guardian is a rather special case as it does fairly sophisticated "heading hold" because it contains accelerometers as well as gyros. Agree it is fun to play with.

Simple heading hold gyros on the other hand can result in some very odd effects.

John
John,

Agreed. I have tried both and the Guardian is well designed and provides a superb heading hold feature.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:04 AM
It flies or it dies
Russ The Flyer's Avatar
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Russ, to help you out, I'm going to be blunt. Your using too many words to describe your problem without giving anyone here enough actionable information.
There are LOTS of airplane as well as quad and helicopter multi axis gyros out there. Giving a text description like you have is not going to give us what we need to help.

1) What Gyro did you get (post a link to it)

2) What Tx and Rx are you using?

3) Do you have 1 or 2 Aileron servos?

Lets start with those 3 questions above, then we can help you.

thx

BTW, if anyone is looking to buy a gyro and they are not sure about it, go ahead and post a link here and maybe someone knows of a specific thread on it
Hmmmm ... Ok. Sorry for the messy input.

1. The gyro is a Helicox TG-1

2. TX/RX are Futaba 6J6

3. I have 2 aileron servos.

Here is the link to the Helicox site.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Registered User
wizard of odd's Avatar
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
DJ,

Heading hold is a hoot to fly with in a plane. Don't knock it until you try it. The Guardian has a nice range of adjustments for heading hold in both 2D mode and 3D.
I have my guardian set up in 2D for centre stick wing leveling only and small "box" size, which still lets me do reasonable aerobatic manoevres but returns to straight and level when I centre the sticks. I tried the heading hold mode in 3D, but have changed to 3D rate mode only as it feels more natural to me. I suppose the heading hold feature is just one I have to play with a bit more!
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:38 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Hmmmm ... Ok. Sorry for the messy input.

1. The gyro is a Helicox TG-1

2. TX/RX are Futaba 6J6

3. I have 2 aileron servos.

Here is the link to the Helicox site.

Russ
ok, never seen that one. I'll look at it some more. I see the manual download so I can help you out.

The Pitch on a helicopter is an AUX or ch6, i expect you won't connect it for anything (but we'll consult the manual).

I'll get a reply on this during my day (Eastern USA time)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:08 AM
Registered User
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I've got an A3 rate only on all my planes. I don't understand why anyone wound put a 'head hold' gyro on a regular airplane.

DJ
I use a single axis gyro on rudder on all of my tail draggers. I use the HH mode for take off then turn off (switch to rate mode with three percent gain) the gyro as soon as the plane leaves the ground. Doing it this way the take off of the tail dragger becomes a non event (unless you forget to turn off the gyro). When in the air the gyro is always "off".

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:27 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
landeck
do you fly off of pavement or grass?
Tail dragger or nose wheel?

Everyone can do what they want, but I'm not much of a fan of hands off the rudder on take off. It seems like it keeps you from learning the rudder in my opinion.
In Rate mode, you still have to touch the rudder and stear it, expecially at the beginning.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
Registered User
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
515 Posts
Melnic, our field has both pavement and grass runways and I fly tail draggers off both. Just about 100% of the time we have crosswinds. I have been flying RC for 40 years, the first 38 without help of a gyro. Many times on short coupled tail draggers I would have to take off cross runway into the wind. With the help of a gyro I no longer need to do that. I know you do not like to use HH hold on take off but I find it works very well for me making the whole flight much more enjoyable.

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Check on an RC Bike (Again, lol) RastaManBob Motorcycles 9 Nov 04, 2004 01:52 PM
First time on an RC airfield. Mendnwngs Fuel Plane Talk 18 Aug 03, 2004 10:57 AM
The most ridiculous use of an RC Airplane soholingo Electric Plane Talk 64 Dec 23, 2002 04:16 AM