SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
On my a3 pro if I go into HH mode and there is any trim set the control surfaces will go to max deflection. I had to mechanically trim everything to be able to use HH mode. Is that the same with the GY48V?
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Ok Mate. I think we're on the same page. I'm running four Micro Servos on my plane. I know I've got the gyro hooked up like it's supposed to be. But there is some setting I don't recognize compared to the JR, or Spektrum TX's. I've found that by adjusting the STRIM I can get the ailerons to center in HH mode. But if I move them they stay, pretty much, where I moved them to. When in Rate mode (I'm assuming I've turned on the gyro) then it will goto center and work as it should. I've changed so many rates and settings I've lost count of what's what. But other than the ailerons everything is in perfect working order. So back to Big "M" ... What do I do now? I can manually wrestle the ailerons back into center (assuming I have time) or just flip the gear switch.

Another thing is the gyros are always on. I noticed that when you were demonstrating yours that when you turned the system off into HH your ailerons stayed put. Mine don't.

Also, on the page you pointed me to, I couldn't see what part of the TX you were into. If nothing else write out the steps, 1 through, how many steps there are. I'll, meanwhile, study your videos more. Maybe it'll just sink in thru osmosis.

Russ
In HH mode, the ailerons WILL stay there. It's doing what it is supposed to do. Holding the heading/movement. You move the ailerons with the stick when the HH mode LED is on and you have some gain to the gyro, it will move and stay there till you rotate the plane.
If the GY48V LED is ON, your in HH mode.

From what your describing, nothing is acting the way it should not.

If you want to effectively turn the gyro off, you MUST get to a point where your gain is low and the LED is off. It looks like your not able to do it, once again, OFF would be a Rate mode with nearly zero gain.

BTW, I mentioned how to get there in this post #3
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2712

Once again, look at 3:20 in video 2
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html

Whichever side of the gear switch gives you rate mode, leave that alone.
As per the video, I'm taking a RATE/HH configuration and making it RATE/OFF by altering the HH side of the switch by setting Travel adjust to 0, then playing with the subtrim till the light goes off.

Don't do anything further till you do that.
thx
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 19, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
On my a3 pro if I go into HH mode and there is any trim set the control surfaces will go to max deflection. I had to mechanically trim everything to be able to use HH mode. Is that the same with the GY48V?
With the Gy48V, it takes the stick/trim positions as center when you turn it on. So no matter where you turn it on, it should not drift in HH mode unless you move the sticks or gyro when you turn it on.

Folks, let me say this, You should not do your maiden in HH mode if you are not hightly confident in what you are doing. I almost Never maiden a gyro enabled airplane in HH mode. Helicopter, yes. Airplane No.

BTW, as mentioned in my A3 Pro review, the gain sensitivity in HH mode of the A3 is not the same as w/ the Rate mode, Mine oscillated on the elevator axis and nearly ripped my plane apart. Even with an A3, I'm not likely to fly it HH mode.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
The A3 Pro HH mode is terrible. The only reason to get the Pro over the plain A3 is to have a switch to turn Rate Mode off. I changed the endpoint of the switch so I can never accidentally go into HH Mode. Although I always leave Rate Mode on, I am comforted in having an emergency disconnect switch in case something malfunctions on the board, or it become dislodged.
I am using this for a stable FPV platform, I suppose if you are using the Pro for short 3D flights it might be able to be set up properly, but is a pain in the butt.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Russ The Flyer: I also fly two GY48V's on my PEAK; no problems, however I do fly Spektrum. I follow Melnics site literally. I do not know about Futaba, but if your gain switch is off (HH position) and the gyro light is on, and you have control surface movements, I believe that is your problem. Go to subtrim for whatever your gain switch is plugged into, put the switch now in rate mode; and again, if the gyro light is on, click the subtrim one direction or the other until the light goes off, plus another 5 or so clicks. JUST MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THE SWITCH IS IN HH, THERE ARE NO MOVEMENT OF CONTROL SURFACES !!

When in HH, the gyro light is ON, but there should be no gain so it is ineffective as HH. When in Rate mode, the light should be OFF.

Melnic: Chime in if I am off base somewhere........

Please be patient and keep reviewing mycoolrc website again and again. It took me some time for it to sink in.

Love my PEAK biplane......fly it sans gyros on days <5mph and if over, I use gyros for takeoffs and landings. I keep exponential at 60% on ailerons, differential at 75%. On rudder, expo at 80% and expo at 75% also. Four ailerons makes it quite exciting if not enough expo. I am just an average fun time flyer......modicum of loops and rolls, no fancy stuff yet.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Gyros

Hey Lads. Thanks so much for your help here. I've been posting on RCG since 2008. Only the best on RCGroups Mates .. eh? I think I'm beginning to see the light here. It's starting to make sense.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Russ The Flyer: I also fly two GY48V's on my PEAK; no problems, however I do fly Spektrum. I follow Melnics site literally. I do not know about Futaba, but if your gain switch is off (HH position) and the gyro light is on, and you have control surface movements, I believe that is your problem. Go to subtrim for whatever your gain switch is plugged into, put the switch now in rate mode; and again, if the gyro light is on, click the subtrim one direction or the other until the light goes off, plus another 5 or so clicks. JUST MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THE SWITCH IS IN HH, THERE ARE NO MOVEMENT OF CONTROL SURFACES !!

When in HH, the gyro light is ON, but there should be no gain so it is ineffective as HH. When in Rate mode, the light should be OFF.

Melnic: Chime in if I am off base somewhere........

Please be patient and keep reviewing mycoolrc website again and again. It took me some time for it to sink in.

Love my PEAK biplane......fly it sans gyros on days <5mph and if over, I use gyros for takeoffs and landings. I keep exponential at 60% on ailerons, differential at 75%. On rudder, expo at 80% and expo at 75% also. Four ailerons makes it quite exciting if not enough expo. I am just an average fun time flyer......modicum of loops and rolls, no fancy stuff yet.
It's nice to know another Peak lover. It was blowing between 7 and 8 mph last time I flew it. So no gyros to fall back on. I've got the damaged wing from a bad landing to prove it.

Russ
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:59 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
can i use a heli gyro for planes or there is a specific gyro for planes? i am thinking to put it in a 3D plane.
The Detrum I'm using is intended for Helicopters, just make sure your orientation is correct for whatever surface you wish to control...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I categorize the gyros as label up or label sideways on this page, then follow the appropriate link to show orientation on each axis (Link and Misc Info below the chart)
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html

EDIT: I updated the page so that clicking the LabelUp or Label Sideways description in the table takes you right to the PDF showing you the mounting orientation for each axis.
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I categorize the gyros as label up or label sideways on this page, then follow the appropriate link to show orientation on each axis (Link and Misc Info below the chart)
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html

EDIT: I updated the page so that clicking the LabelUp or Label Sideways description in the table takes you right to the PDF showing you the mounting orientation for each axis.
Thanks Mate. You sure do have a handle on this stuff.

Russ
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Gyros

Well talk about the luck of the Irish. And I'm Welsh. Anyway I took my Peaks out to the flying field to try out the gyros. It was interesting, to say the least. The plane took off and shot straight up into the air with no help from me. Well I finally trimmed out the elevator so that it would fly level. But the ailerons were shaking like they had a bad palsy. I decided to bring it in for a landing to see if I could figure out what the problem was. As I was trying to level it for a landing the plane sort of nosed into the ground and came to a skidding halt. No damage.

It just so happens that one of our club members was there flying too. It just so happens that he's in the military as a helicopter pilot. He also flys RC helicopters, and he knows all about gyros. So he told me just what to do and we found that I had the elevator gyro backwards. Sheeeesh! I set it that way thinking it was backward in the first place. So I bought the plane home, removed the bottom wing and reversed the elevator gyro and set it to about a gain of 10. Set the aileron gyro to around 15. Now I'm going back out to the flying field tomorrow and give it another test flight.

Thanks again for the help. Now I think I know it all.

Russ
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Russ:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyrotestpage.html
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
I found out when my buddy pointed it out to me. It just visually fooled me. The ailerons were perfect but it was the elevater gyro that I had changed.

Now I come to another problem. Flew my Peaks today. Interesting, again. Even tho' I set the elevator gyro to about 10 and the ailerons to around 15 I still ran into problems. For one thing on either HH or R the ailerons still flutter like crazy, altho' not like they did yesterday. Also the elevator gyro seems to be in HH mode all the time. But when I move the nose up it wants to stay that way and I have to fight it into level position. So I'm at a loss on that one. And my heli buddy wasn't there today. So I'm at a loss as to how to stop the flutter in R mode and HH mode. Also don't know what it's going to take to get the elevator to quit putting the plane into hover position once I've pointed it up. Any ideas?

Russ
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:27 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Russ,
where is your Aileron gyro Gain wire connected to?
Wher is your elevator gyro gain wire connected to?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
I found out when my buddy pointed it out to me. It just visually fooled me. The ailerons were perfect but it was the elevater gyro that I had changed.

Now I come to another problem. Flew my Peaks today. Interesting, again. Even tho' I set the elevator gyro to about 10 and the ailerons to around 15 I still ran into problems. For one thing on either HH or R the ailerons still flutter like crazy, altho' not like they did yesterday. Also the elevator gyro seems to be in HH mode all the time. But when I move the nose up it wants to stay that way and I have to fight it into level position. So I'm at a loss on that one. And my heli buddy wasn't there today. So I'm at a loss as to how to stop the flutter in R mode and HH mode. Also don't know what it's going to take to get the elevator to quit putting the plane into hover position once I've pointed it up. Any ideas?

Russ
Russ, this is what I don't understand, why put a 'Head Lock or Head Hold' gyro on an airplane. If you are a competition 3D flier maybe. Otherwise use an Eagle A3 rate board. Set it and forget-it. If you want to fool around with stuff on your TX while flying then so be it.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor