SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
If you turn it off, it must still be in HH mode if it's not returning to center.
Are you using a GY48V?
If so, OFF is Rate mode w/ a low gain. You have to adjust the subtrim on the gain channel to get the LED off.
If you are sharing the same gain channel with both Gyros then the problem is if the gyros have some variance, you may not be able to get them both off at the same time.
Personally, I get the off condition to work but almost always fly with it ON. When it's OFF many gyros don't give linear throws with the sticks.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Melnic- Thanks for this thread and all the related info on your site. I've got gyros on two (so far) of my planes, both installed on the aileron channel. An HK401B on my Bixler and a GY48V on a PZ F4F Wildcat. (I got 2 GY48V's on sale from xheli for $9 each. Awesome deal IMHO). I have the gain assigned to the HOV_THR channel on my FlySky 9x, which is a knob that allows me to dynamically adjust the gain on the gyro while I'm in flight. This is very nice My question lies in the fact that I have the gain on the GY48V in my Wildcat at ~30% as you suggest, and it works fine. The HK401B in my Bixler works as well, but I have to keep the gain down to ~10% to avoid flutter and at this rate it doesn't seem to smooth things out as well as I'd like. Are these differences attributable to the aerodynamics of the airframes, or the gyros themselves? Would turning up the Delay on the HK401B to higher than 0 help with the flutter?

Thanks to anyone with enlightenment.
rickthebrewer is offline Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Gyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
If you turn it off, it must still be in HH mode if it's not returning to center.
Are you using a GY48V?
If so, OFF is Rate mode w/ a low gain. You have to adjust the subtrim on the gain channel to get the LED off.
If you are sharing the same gain channel with both Gyros then the problem is if the gyros have some variance, you may not be able to get them both off at the same time.
Personally, I get the off condition to work but almost always fly with it ON. When it's OFF many gyros don't give linear throws with the sticks.
Ok this is gonna be hard to explain as I'm new to this.

First, I'm using the GY48V. One for aileron and one for elevator.

I've got my gyro plugged into channel 5. This is the gyro/gear switch. I've got the strim set for sw on. I've set this for 30%.
The trim position won't let me make any settings on channels over 4.
With the switch set to "on" the gyro works. With the gyro switched off the ailerons get a little wild. They'll move to full right roll or full left roll when I move the control stick. But when I release the stick the ailerons stays full on. I can move the stick the opposite direction and same thing happens. When I turn the gear switch to the on position the ailerons level out and work like they should.

I did forget one thing. I can't see the gyro because it's mounted to the bottom wing inside that fuselage. Only way I can get to it is to remove the bottom wing. That's a lot of trouble. But, then, so is picking up the pieces of a wrecked plane.

Anyway I guess I could just leave the switch on and fly with the gyros in operation all the time.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, NE, Elgin
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
could horizontal and vertical stabilizer be installed at the same airplane?
Fernandoluis is offline Find More Posts by Fernandoluis
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandoluis View Post
could horizontal and vertical stabilizer be installed at the same airplane?
???
rickthebrewer is offline Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
KK2----AAahhhhhh

I recently aquired the KK2 board for a micro quad I'm putting together for my son. Yeah, I shelved the flying lawnmower gift for a 10y/o idea for now, so I tried to find other work for the KK2. I bought a Bixler2 from HK for my first attempt at FPV flying - to get to know the airframe before I mount expensive electronics on it. So, I installed the KK2 board and went through the motions of calibrating and setting it up on the desk. It looked pretty sweet with an oddety or two. If the motor is not going, then no power supply to the control surface servos....mmmmm. I have flown it many times before without KK2 and decided it was time. I launched the Bixler and flew a few rounds without stabilization. I swithced on stabilization and found that it dipped down. I disengaged and tried a few times to see the exact symptoms. Eventually decided to land and brought it onto final approach. At the start of the runway I cut the motor for the landing and all the electronics was disengaged by the KK2. The bixler did a vertical 90degree down and whacked the ground with a thud. It happened so quick, there was no time to respond. So, my verdict - I could not get it not to occilate on a quad and it killed my Bixler. The damage this has caused due to poor programming is unforgiveable. Why would you disable control on motor cut???? I'm sure I'm not the only one. So KK2 sucks
antoniekruger is offline Find More Posts by antoniekruger
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Russ,
It sounds to me like you are not able to achieve a RATE/RATE setting with your switch. Spektrum does this well but my old futaba can't.

unplug the gain wire from the gyro and then plug in a servo instead to visualize the gain setting. You can also plug in the spare servo and the gyro gain wire using a Y connector to see what the LED on the gyro does. 3:20 on 2nd video
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
821 Posts
antoniekruger,
something isn't or wasn't wired correctly obviously, as for the "dipping down", that sounds like when the acc's calibrated the plane was in a "not level" state.
you say it was it was killing response to the servos when chopping the throttle while sitting on the ground? (or desk) i would be afraid to fly it in that condition.
were you by any chance powering your board and rx and servos with the same power source? mr kk warns against this as it can cause the processor to reset unexpectedly... just a thought, sorry about your foam.
i've got 2 kk2.0 boards, both with "OpenAero2" software. Imu, pid controllers, CCPM & PWM input & output plus many more features not found on fc boards. OpenAero software turns "multi" boards into strickly "AeroPlane" boards, OpenAero2 does the same for the kk2 multi fc boards. it's all about the software.
coming soon... OpenAero32 for the AfroFlight32 boards (32 bit processors)

michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Sep 19, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
I'm using the GY48V on mine, and I find if I "leave it on" I have to return the control surfaces to center manually (with the stick), whereas when it's in Rate mode, they center automatically. If I turn the remote on, and do a right turn, unless I return the surface(s) to neutral, they'll stay that way, and the plane will roll.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
I'm using the GY48V on mine, and I find if I "leave it on" I have to return the control surfaces to center manually (with the stick), whereas when it's in Rate mode, they center automatically. If I turn the remote on, and do a right turn, unless I return the surface(s) to neutral, they'll stay that way, and the plane will roll.
That's darned near what my problem is but in reverse ... or I'm misunderstanding what you just wrote here.

You say that when you leave it turned on you get the same problem I do. I think you meant turned off didn't you?

In other words, if I flip my gear switch to the off position then the gyro turns off. Then the ailerons go nutty. When I turn the gear switch back on then the ailerons works fine, altho', twitchy. I need to lower the gain somewhere. Probably some kind of trim setting I've gotta figure out.

Russ
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Russ,
It sounds to me like you are not able to achieve a RATE/RATE setting with your switch. Spektrum does this well but my old futaba can't.

unplug the gain wire from the gyro and then plug in a servo instead to visualize the gain setting. You can also plug in the spare servo and the gyro gain wire using a Y connector to see what the LED on the gyro does. 3:20 on 2nd video
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html
I already tried that. When I unplug the gain wire the system seems to shut down. (Ailerons only here) In order to get even the the on settinig to work I had to incorporate the PMIX1 and set channel 1 as master and channel 5 as a slave. Me thinks I'm walking in circles instead of a straight line to get the same thing done.

I think my problem is the difference in TX's. They both do the same job but come at the solution by different routes. One of the problems is that the Futaba is built based on the assumption I know everything about the technical side of this stuff. They seem to think I know what all connects to what. The Spektrum is, most likely, user friendlier.

Russ
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Russ, Seems your doing several things unusual here.

#1, my suggestion to unplug the gain wire and hook up a servo was only temporary to "visualize" what your gain output on the RX was doing. Go ahead and do it so you can see what your gain output is doing and compare it to my vids.

#2, When your gear switch is in the ON position, the LED on the GY48V should be OFF and that means your in Rate mode. You adjust the travel adjust for the gear channel to adjust the gate.

#3, when your gear switch is in the OFF position, the LED on the GY48V should still be OFF, this still denotes Rate mode, If it's ON, it's in heading hold mode. To get it to be in a low rate mode gain, you must set the travel adjust for the Gear switch OFF position all the way down to zero, then adjust your gear channel subtrim to get the LED off. If you can't adjust the travel adjust for the gear channel to zero, then you can't likely get a workable "off" position for the gyro.

#4 Why did you do a pmix from 1 to 5? If 5 is your gear channel, don't mix aileron to Gyro gain. That is really going to mess things up. You want your gyro gain to follow the switch.

Again, temporarily hooking up a servo to the gear channel (where you have the gyro gain) like in my videos will help you visualize your gain ouput. A Rate mode OFF (low rate gain) position is typically just CCW of center on the servo when you have the servo hooked up temporarily to the gain output (CH5 for you if your using gear switch)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
No, I have my remote hooked up to Ch.5 on my TX, and if I hit the toggle switch to the "on" position, if I work the control surfaces, I have to manually return them to their neutral position, if I hit the toggle switch "off" the gyro is in "rate" mode, and it corrects the ailerons like it's supposed to do to keep the plane level. It gets all "squirrelly" when the remote cable is unhooked (on the GY48V). Another thing I have to make sure about when initially setting the gyro up is to make sure it's set for analog servos...on my gyro there's a switch to go from analog to digital servos. I was advised to keep that set at analog...and as was previously mentioned you have to make CERTAIN the planes as level as you can get it when you power it up...if it's not level, then the plane will try to correct for whatever angle it was at when you powered it up...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
No, I have my remote hooked up to Ch.5 on my TX, and if I hit the toggle switch to the "on" position, if I work the control surfaces, I have to manually return them to their neutral position, if I hit the toggle switch "off" the gyro is in "rate" mode, and it corrects the ailerons like it's supposed to do to keep the plane level. It gets all "squirrelly" when the remote cable is unhooked (on the GY48V). Another thing I have to make sure about when initially setting the gyro up is to make sure it's set for analog servos...on my gyro there's a switch to go from analog to digital servos. I was advised to keep that set at analog...and as was previously mentioned you have to make CERTAIN the planes as level as you can get it when you power it up...if it's not level, then the plane will try to correct for whatever angle it was at when you powered it up...

Ok Mate. I think we're on the same page. I'm running four Micro Servos on my plane. I know I've got the gyro hooked up like it's supposed to be. But there is some setting I don't recognize compared to the JR, or Spektrum TX's. I've found that by adjusting the STRIM I can get the ailerons to center in HH mode. But if I move them they stay, pretty much, where I moved them to. When in Rate mode (I'm assuming I've turned on the gyro) then it will goto center and work as it should. I've changed so many rates and settings I've lost count of what's what. But other than the ailerons everything is in perfect working order. So back to Big "M" ... What do I do now? I can manually wrestle the ailerons back into center (assuming I have time) or just flip the gear switch.

Another thing is the gyros are always on. I noticed that when you were demonstrating yours that when you turned the system off into HH your ailerons stayed put. Mine don't.

Also, on the page you pointed me to, I couldn't see what part of the TX you were into. If nothing else write out the steps, 1 through, how many steps there are. I'll, meanwhile, study your videos more. Maybe it'll just sink in thru osmosis.

Russ
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
508 Posts
can i use a heli gyro for planes or there is a specific gyro for planes? i am thinking to put it in a 3D plane.
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: antique gas station pics