I know.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
No I'm not trolling, I'm just commenting on all the fuss over gyros. No biggie I'll just leave.
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
No I'm not trolling, I'm just commenting on all the fuss over gyros. No biggie I'll just leave.
Thank you! That is the most constructive contribution you have made yet.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Melnic: Reference your airplane experience with the GY520......How do you mount it for ailerons; label facing forward, label toward the rear (pilots view), or face up? Per your previous advice, I will follow the same set-up proceedure as the GY48V on your mycoolrc.com website. Much appreciated!
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
For any of the single axis heli gyros, view the table to see what kind.
In this case it is a "Label UP" gyro (a definition type I made up to describe the gyro active axis).
Then click the link at the top that says "Orientation of how a LABEL UP gyro mounts"
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html
For a Gy520, it's a Label Up gyro and for aileron, you face label forwards or rearwards.
It does not matter, you just have to set the gyro reversing correctly.
For the Gy520, there is a USB interface cable you can buy for more $$ or you set it with a little push button on the side and your sticks.

Remember, for the price of a Gy520, you can get almost 2 of the Eagletree Guardians which I trust the same.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Melnic: At hobbywarehouse.com they had the GY520 on sale for $114 plus $5 shipping. I should have ordered the eagletree anyway......too late now.

edit: http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/GY520-...FQdntgodgAsAiA
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Sep 2005
114 Posts
gyro for landings

I got a GP Revolver 70 with a DLE 20.
This plane is stable but i am still an amateur on landings
I have been reading this thread and others and I will like to know what should I buy to aid my landings(SPECIALLY CROSSWIND LANDINGS)

Base on my research, people put a gyro on the rudder for landings and also for take off and I also see that people install one(or two Gyros) on the ailerons.
I can take off fine and i can fly fine...
I want to be able to turn on and off the gyro
I just need a little help on the landing
I saw this one...G370A Aircraft Rate Gyro by JR

MY questions are
FOR landings...
  • Should I put a gyro on the rudder or on the ailerons??
  • Or should I put it on both??
  • Whats a good combo(gyro(s) and servos?
  • Does the rudder servo has to be gyro servo?

THANKS
cerralvo78 is offline Find More Posts by cerralvo78
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
put it on the surface that gives you the trouble.
If the wings rock on a crosswind gust, put it on ailerons.

Gy48V/Hitec Analog servos have been my best inexpensive combo.
If your plane is $500 or more in value, I recommend just going for the Eagle Tree.
I'm testing the new bluelight gyro system and that may end up being a 2nd (or better) choice.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
I recently tried to mangle some code for a tricopter using an ArduIMU only. This required PPM which is a pain unless the Rx has that or you have an encoder, still a pain. Anyway, it almost worked good enough to fly the tricopter but the whole time I was thinking it would probably be easier to get it to work with servos and airplane mixing. I'll keep trying. It's 9 degrees of freedom and not all that expensive @ $70.00, compared to buying individual gyros.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
I recently tried to mangle some code for a tricopter using an ArduIMU only. This required PPM which is a pain unless the Rx has that or you have an encoder, still a pain. Anyway, it almost worked good enough to fly the tricopter but the whole time I was thinking it would probably be easier to get it to work with servos and airplane mixing. I'll keep trying. It's 9 degrees of freedom and not all that expensive @ $70.00, compared to buying individual gyros.
I recall trying the PWM function of the PIC process I did some work with and I did not get the resolution I needed. Which kit did you try? My 13 year old son expressed interest in playing with an Arduino board.

BTW, I reworked a little the gyro page at mycoolrc to put the gyro links at the top and trim some fat. Since there are so many 3 axis gyros systems out there now dedicated to airplanes, I'm going to start refocusing the website on those systems because the costs have come down so much for what you get.
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Melnic, over at DIYDrones.com is where I got the ArduIMU. I also have an original Ardupilot from Sparkfun. Together, the IMU and Ardupilot stabilizes my plane very well. The Ardupilot and code handles the PWM in and out and the IMU reports the attitude.

What I was trying was to have the ArduIMU read PPM, apply the attitude correction, then output in PWM. I found code for a different version of the ArduIMU and all the mangling of code I did was needed to work with the newer hardware.

The IMU only almost worked, too much sputtering and hiccups. A good programmer would know what to fix.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
The arduino boards are showing up in Fry's electronics. They are packaged under a different name, but they are the same. Same price as spark fun. The reason I bring it up is there is a Fry's about a mile from my house. Going there usually get's me in trouble with the wife.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Hi Melnic. I watched your video on how to install a gyro on my Peaks (Beast knock off, but, smaller) I'm using the same gyros as yours, from Hobby Partz. The problem I'm having is, with the gyro engaged, the ailerons work just fine. But when I turn them off, and if I move the control stick to the ailerons, they won't return to center. In the on mode they do. I suppose I could just fly it with the gyros turned on all the time but what's the fun in that?

If I keep moving the control stick I can usually manually get them back to center, but that's when I'm up close and can see what they're doing. lf you've ever flown a Peaks then you know what I'm talking about. With the plane 200 ft in the air you have just about 1 second to get it straightened out.

BTW I'm using a Futaba 6J6 system. Very nice TX/RX system.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
watch the videos again or other videos , your in Heading Hold mode, You want your first experiance in Rate mode.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
watch the videos again or other videos , your in Heading Hold mode, You want your first experiance in Rate mode.
I understand that. What I'd like to know is how do I get it to let the ailerons work as they're supposed to?

One other thing. You're using a different TX than I am. I'm second guessing what's on the video in places.

Funny. The elevator gyro works perfectly. BTW this is my first experience using a gyro.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer