HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
I'm back to study gyros some more sense I started flight school people at the Field want to know about them.

First question. Should I set the rudder travel to max to help on take off? My rudder on my 63" Cessna 182 seems to have so little travel I don't see how it can keep the plane straight during the early part of the take off.

Thank you,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Yes, expo will also help.
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Melnic: Gy48V gyros now used on several of my planes with standard hitec servos and using rate only...ailerons and rudder; using your website and have had no issues Thanks again.

Two questions:

Question one: Now experimenting with digital MG servos.....everything works great, same as above; however when switched off (heading hold at 0), all is quiet, but when switching to rate mode, the digital servos emit a constant barrage of constant buzzing. Is this normal with digital servos? Will they overheat?

Second question: Per your website instructions, when tx is switched on then rx battery, we wait a few seconds absolutely still for the gyros to activate. What happens when after takeoff on a windy day, I switch off the gyros, then on again for final approach....the plane of course is not sitting still.......will the gyros reactivate normally in flight ? I have often thought about this....? Thoughts?
Thanks
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:03 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Melnic:
Second question: Per your website instructions, when tx is switched on then rx battery, we wait a few seconds absolutely still for the gyros to activate. What happens when after takeoff on a windy day, I switch off the gyros, then on again for final approach....the plane of course is not sitting still.......will the gyros reactivate normally in flight ? I have often thought about this....? Thoughts?
Thanks
I think you will find that after you bind that the gyro is always powered via the red/black leads. When you switch your gyro on/off you are only switching the signal channel or white lead/cable that tells the gyro to move. So the gyro is already set powered up to go just like the servo's.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Thanks Bravo47.........makes good sense! Appreciate the feedback.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I'm back to study gyros some more sense I started flight school people at the Field want to know about them.

First question. Should I set the rudder travel to max to help on take off? My rudder on my 63" Cessna 182 seems to have so little travel I don't see how it can keep the plane straight during the early part of the take off.

Thank you,
DJ
Yes, get more mechanical travel with the gyro set to 100% travel. There is a balance between travel, gain, slop that all comes into play.
Your best situation is minimal slop, full rudder movement where it can move to the max difflection without hitting the elevator, but there is little error in servo centering. (moving stick left/right and comming back to same point).

If you increase mechanical movement by changing the limit dial or control horns you MAY have to reduce the gyro gain. However, the rudder can in my experiance handle the highest amount of gain.

BTW, using Expo will not do JACK to how the gyro responds, only how you respond to the plane. I have expo on all my planes because control surface response is non linear and expo helps correct that. Expo helps with smoothing things out so I use it for gyro as well as non-gyro planes.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
1911tex,

Digital servos have more resolution and a tighter deadband (minimum amount of pulse width change that will cause a servo movement). With a gyro, you lose a little bit of resolution in the conversion. You may find that the more expensive gyros won't do the jittering that you are seing. My $140 GY520 does not jitter like my $20 GY48V. Cheaper digital gyros will jitter more than better ones too with the same gyro.

Like Bravo said, OFF is really a low gain rate mode as I explain in my vids.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Melnic: Thanks. Question: Can the GY520 heading hold gyro be set up for rate like the GY48V? The GY520 is a Futaba gyro I believe; any problem using it with spektrum tx/rx?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Yes, get more mechanical travel with the gyro set to 100% travel. There is a balance between travel, gain, slop that all comes into play.
Your best situation is minimal slop, full rudder movement where it can move to the max deflection without hitting the elevator, but there is little error in servo centering. (moving stick left/right and coming back to same point).

If you increase mechanical movement by changing the limit dial or control horns you MAY have to reduce the gyro gain. However, the rudder can in my experience handle the highest amount of gain.

BTW, using Expo will not do JACK to how the gyro responds, only how you respond to the plane. I have expo on all my planes because control surface response is non linear and expo helps correct that. Expo helps with smoothing things out so I use it for gyro as well as non-gyro planes.
Thank you Melnic, The first day of flight school, buddy boxed, I had left all three gyros on at 100% and didn't know it. I flew well btw. Next lesson I had them all off (A3 board) and flew well but on take off it was snakey, he took it off. Next flight I ask him if he wanted me to turn the rudder gyro back on and we took off -good cross wind as before and the plane tracked straight down the center line. We were both impressed.

Several questions sir;
1. If the control surface is set to move say 1/2" max and the gyro wants to move 3/4
" can it do that?
2. With rudder gyro at 100% what should I set the the Elevator and ailerons to?
3. Is there any way you can tell me how much expo a beginner should use? The
ailerons a way touchy.

Thank you and all the rest of you. I'm going to get flying yet,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Melnic: Thanks. Question: Can the GY520 heading hold gyro be set up for rate like the GY48V? The GY520 is a Futaba gyro I believe; any problem using it with spektrum tx/rx?
Yes, you can do rate mode and depending on your radio, (I have spek DX8) you can set up Rate/OFF
That's how this is set up :
I have flown it in heavier crosswinds than the video since shooting that video.
1/4 scale Nieuport 17 take off in crosswinds (6 min 1 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
... Cheaper digital gyros will jitter more than better ones too with the same gyro.
Question: do you mean "Cheaper digital servos will jitter more than better ones too with the same gyro."?

Thanks! I am learning a lot from this thread.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Question: do you mean "Cheaper digital servos will jitter more than better ones too with the same gyro."?

Thanks! I am learning a lot from this thread.
The gyro makes most of the difference in "chatter".
with a gyro, Analogs chatter less than digitals in my experiance.
But Digitals perform better.
your best performance is with the best stuff if that makes sense
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
analog digital

what about instinct?
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)