HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,973 Posts
Refresh my memory please .. delay on a gy48v leave at 12 o'clock or turn fully down? Going on the ailerons...
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,049 Posts
I've got mine at 11:00, and don't use it. Mine's hooked up to Ch.5 on my receiver, off a toggle switch...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
the delay is a sort of "lag" that is used for helicopters to keep the tail from bouncing when you return the rudder stick to neutral. Since airplanes are more stable than a tail rotor w/o a gyro, you don't need the delay function so set it fully CCW to make it ineffective for an airplane. If increase it, it will "delay" (lag) the aileron response to your stick making it feel "spongy"
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,172 Posts
How they work

52Sabre posted this link on the HK Orange stabilizer thread. Since he isn't on this thread I thought i would put it here.

It's fascinating how much precision is inside one of these things!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhon...eardown/3156/1
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Gyros certainly have their place in today's RC world, what with the advent of ARF's and other planes that come already built and flyable. However, scratch builders and people who REALLY know how to fly rarely need to regress to the use of gyro's so as to fly a model airplane.

Just my $0.02. M
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
Gyros certainly have their place in today's RC world, what with the advent of ARF's and other planes that come already built and flyable. However, scratch builders and people who REALLY know how to fly rarely need to regress to the use of gyro's so as to fly a model airplane.

Just my $0.02. M
You just make stuff up as you go along.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,279 Posts
Quote:

Just my $0.02. M
Yawn.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yawn.
mikhail tupulov This is a thread about the operation and use of gyros and the discussion thereof. Everyone has their opinion on the use of a gyro, some like it others don't. That's just fine. You obviously are of the opinion that gyros don't belong in airplanes if you know how to fly an airplane. Fine ,you've made your opinion perfectly clear and since you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion of gyros, why don't you move on. I'm sure you can find a thread where they are discussing using mixes or something similar and you can let them know that you are a Man because you don't use them.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Herman, sorry. I had a few responses asking me questions, so I had to clarify my original post. I hope people can take my information in my two posts and apply it to themselves, so they can become better people and grow as good pilots-wind or shine. mike
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Herman, sorry. I had a few responses asking me questions, so I had to clarify my original post. I hope people can take my information in my two posts and apply it to themselves, so they can become better people and grow as good pilots-wind or shine. mike
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Rising star,So it sounds like the Gyro is allowing you to have 2 planes in one!
A T28 that flies in the wind like it is a calm day.
And a T28 that flies like an Extra 300

As mentioned in the previous post about the Stick centering, did you use the stick centering function in the A3 Pro or did you set the trims up mechanically so you did not have any subtrim used?
Melnic:
I believe we need to do precise mechanical trims and also stick centering ( which is nothing but calibrating the gyro to the receiver and transmitter).
You will probably not see any difference without stick centering in the rate mode. But it makes a LOT of difference in the heading hold mode. Because in the HH mode the movement of control surfaces continues even if you stop moving the stick. So any offcenter trimming (even 1 or 2 clicks) will send the control surfaces moving in the direction of the trim all the way till maximum travel ( even when the sticks are in the neutral position). This can cause disaster during flight.
To see it in action, do this simple test:
With the plane on the ground (ofcourse), setup your gyro as usual, sticks in neutral position, trims in neutral, turn on transmitter, plug in battery on the plane, wait till gyro initialises(in off position if switch available). At this stage you shouldn't see any movement. Turn on rate mode, and try to move the trims up or down a few clicks(any channel EXCEPT THROTTLE PLEASE). You should see normal slow control surface movement every time you click, and no movement when you stop clicking.
Now bring back the trims to a position half way through their total travel either way( not neutral), and then turn on HH mode. You will see the control surfaces should start moving without any stick movement, and continue moving till full servo travel.
This is just an example of what can happen if the trims are not accurate. So always better to do mechanical trims and leave the trims and subtrims in neutral position on the tx if you intend to use heading hold mode.
I freaked out when I saw this happen during a preflight check. It disappeared after bringing trims and subtrims to neutral, and then stick centering(or calibrating) the A3pro.

Again I have experience only with A3 pro and can't speak for any other gyro system.
Cheers
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
Last edited by risingstar; Aug 23, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,172 Posts
But isn't this just because you are doing the test on the ground? In the air the small trim change causes the model to tilt slightly on that axis until the gyro thinks it is level at which point it holds at that angle. You might get a very small climb or dive or roll but it would only be a fraction of a degree or so. On the ground, the plane cannot respond to the gyro input so the gyro keeps adding more and more correction trying to come back to level since it is in heading hold mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
:
With the plane on the ground (ofcourse), setup your gyro as usual, sticks in neutral position, trims in neutral, turn on transmitter, plug in battery on the plane, wait till gyro initialises(in off position if switch available). At this stage you shouldn't see any movement. Turn on rate mode, and try to move the trims up or down a few clicks(any channel EXCEPT THROTTLE PLEASE). You should see normal slow control surface movement every time you click, and no movement when you stop clicking.
Now bring back the trims to a position half way through their total travel either way( not neutral), and then turn on HH mode. You will see the control surfaces should start moving without any stick movement, and continue moving till full servo travel.
This is just an example of what can happen if the trims are not accurate. So always better to do mechanical trims and leave the trims and subtrims in neutral position on the tx if you intend to use heading hold mode.
I freaked out when I saw this happen during a preflight check. It disappeared after bringing trims and subtrims to neutral, and then stick centering(or calibrating) the A3pro.

Again I have experience only with A3 pro and can't speak for any other gyro system.
Cheers
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
jj604:
The gyro interprets the tiniest amount of trim change as an actual stick input and keeps moving the control surface/servo. This continues even after the angle or attitude of the plane changes in flight or on the ground.

What you have described is when in the HH mode, the attitude is changed and the gyro tries to bring the plane back to its original. When this happens the control surfaces will not keep moving till full servo travel. They would just move as much is necessary to bring the plane back to its original. And yes, in flight the control surface will come back to its center, but on the ground it will remain there without any further movement till you move the plane.
Both are slightly different scenarios.
Hope I have clarified this for you
Cheers
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,172 Posts
Ah thanks - makes sense. Tthe gyro doesn't know the difference between a stick movement and a trim change. As far as the A3 Pro gyro is concerned they are both just a pulse width change telling it to move the servo.

It seems as though it is a bit complex and depends on the actual implementation of the system. I'm pretty sure in some modes the Eagletree Guardian for example doesn't work that way. It has so-called "fly by wire" where the deflection of the stick is translated into an angular movement.

I better try it at the field at the weekend and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
jj604:
The gyro interprets the tiniest amount of trim change as an actual stick input and keeps moving the control surface/servo. This continues even after the angle or attitude of the plane changes in flight or on the ground.

What you have described is when in the HH mode, the attitude is changed and the gyro tries to bring the plane back to its original. When this happens the control surfaces will not keep moving till full servo travel. They would just move as much is necessary to bring the plane back to its original. And yes, in flight the control surface will come back to its center, but on the ground it will remain there without any further movement till you move the plane.
Both are slightly different scenarios.
Hope I have clarified this for you
Cheers
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Quote:

Just my $0.02. M
They don't need to participate here then.

I don't HAVE to put a gyro on ANY of my planes. I can fly each and every one of them w/o a gyro in any of the wind conditions my fellow pilots fly. I have no problem flying and feeling that I can control the plane in many conditions that send many of my fellow pilots home. I CHOOSE to put gyros on them so that the effect of the wind is reduced and I enjoy flying them more when I am flying.

I have a stick built BALSA USA kit 1/4 Scale WWI biplane. I can CHOOSE to only fly it when the wind conditions are right and no crosswinds. I don't fly much on weekends and mostly 1-2 hours at a time during the week. However, I CHOOSE to put a Rudder Gyro on it and when I fly it, I don't have to worry as much about wind or crosswinds and the plane yawing on me from a sudden change of crosswind and flipping over. It's an expensive plane (for most people) and I want to enjoy flying it. I don't know how many times, I"ve seen guys sitting on $1000+ planes and not flying cause the wind conditions are not right. Good pilots, but scared to rip up a plane on landing. Well, they can sit and watch me fly.

There are a few pilots in my club that are significantly better than me, they are IMAC pilots, with $1000-$200 100cc+ planes, wind does not bother them at all. They fly when they want. Great, for them. I don't think the majority of the people here in the thread are those people.

IF you want to boast about how good of a pilot you are why not shoot some video and post it to some other thread so that people can look at it and oooh and awwww at your skills?

Your $.02 is spent already
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic