HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Good day Mr. Sculptor,

Nothing wrong with using gyros, like I posted. He was a beginner, as he stated in his thread. I mentioned here that they are crutches and that men learn how to rely on their skill. No contradiction here. Your turn
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
Good day Mr. Sculptor,

Nothing wrong with using gyros, like I posted. He was a beginner, as he stated in his thread. I mentioned here that they are crutches and that men learn how to rely on their skill. No contradiction here. Your turn

That makes no sense. As a beginner he shouldn't use a gyro, that would be the Crutch and he wouldn't be learning the basics and would rely on gyros to compensate for poor setups.

Your turn.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Good day Mr. Sculptor,

I'm done,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I'm done,

DJ
+1 some people's kids.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Hmm...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel6401 View Post
that makes no sense. As a beginner he shouldn't use a gyro, that would be the crutch and he wouldn't be learning the basics and would rely on gyros to compensate for poor setups.

Your turn.
+1. Dj
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I would never fly a plane or a helicopter with a gyro. Sure, gyros are delicious Greek sandwiches. I enjoy them as much as radio controlled helicopters or airplanes. But eating one with one hand and trying to fly with the other. Even with two hands we all have to admit they can be messy, what with the tadsiki sauce and all. While flying? That just doesn't seem reasonable.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
I would never fly a plane or a helicopter with a gyro. Sure, gyros are delicious Greek sandwiches. I enjoy them as much as radio controlled helicopters or airplanes. But eating one with one hand and trying to fly with the other. Even with two hands we all have to admit they can be messy, what with the tadsiki sauce and all. While flying? That just doesn't seem reasonable.
Now I'm hungry.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Good day Mr. Sculptor,

Mikhail,

Please stop the trolling because you are epitomizing what a troll is and does. You provide no value to this thread except to drain bandwidth and provoke.

If you have a point to make, go and create your own thread on why gyros are no good.

Thanks in advance

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Trolls have come and gone in this thread and the argument is clear. Most people are into this hobby to have fun, not to "prove themselves". computer radios, flybarless control systems for helis, digital servos, Electric motors, gyro stabilization and many other things are all advancements into the hobby to make the enjoyment factor better.

Take the inverse and go ahead and prove yourself and go fly an unstable tail heavy delta wing for all we care. IF your having fun good for you. But if people do something ground breaking that becomes more commonplace blazing a trail while others stay in campe, good for them too. The path to me is clear, gyro stabilization has really sprung on the smaller planes and helicopters to make them viable and more enjoyable. Gyros have been in use in larger scale planes since the 1990's to make a very expensive plane easier to fly an thus safer as well as to recoup the inventment by allowing the pilot to fly more often in various weather conditions. If one goes out and spend hundreds or thousands on a 100" wingspan 3D plane that is barely effected by 10mph winds, does that make one less of a pilot? You are what you are and to me, if your on the ground not flying, your not likely getting what you want out of the hobby unless what you do is enjoy just the company of other pilots. That's fine too. I like a crowd of people to talk to, but I like to get out there and fly and not have to drive home or keep the plane in the car. I've constanty flown planes in wind conditions that make most of my fellow club members stay grounded in fear of tearing up their plane. 2 weeks ago I was doing that with a $1500 1/4 scale WWI Nieuport 17 doing touch n go's in the cross wind while other pilots would not fly thier planes. I'm perfectly comfortable with what I'm doing and so are many other people who have found sucess in stabilizing their plane to make them more stable. Since you don't know what your talking about and you want to call a gyro a "crutch", its obvious you just want to troll. Keep presenting your false arguments all you want. No one here is FORCING you to use a gyro, People are here for the information and the help which is what I believe this forum is best purposed.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:32 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
REAL MEN don't need model aircraft to properly eat gyros. That would be just a crutch
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:39 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Dear Melnic,
May I ask you a few questions to broaden my understanding?

1) When using an A3 Pro in attitude hold mode, and I command a roll using ailerons only, will the rudder fight the ailerons? What about in rate mode?
For a rock-solid FPV platform, should I consider not using the rudder stabilization, just aileron and elevator?

2) If in attitude hold mode, and I cut the throttle, will the gyro hold the nose on the horizon, thus causing a stall rather than a descent?

3) Why must the neutrals be set mechanically only? What's the problem with a little trim?

Thank you for your knowledge. 
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
did you fly in HH or Rate mode? If both, which did you like better?
I flew it in both the modes. The HH mode is good for knife edges, crosswind take off and landings and inverted. It just keeps the plane in the position it was after the last user input. If you let go of the controls the plane will hold its attitude in all 3 axis forever till the LVC and then crash( that is if the plane is not heading towards the ground after the last input)
T28 has massive dihedral in the wings and because of that without gyros it would try to level the wings automatically after a banking maneuver. Also knife edges and inverted are very difficult to perform. But with the A3 pro, after a banking turn the plane will maintain the banking angle forever till the wings are leveled with user aileron input.
Rate mode just magically eliminates any wind at the field. It just like flying in dead calm. Good for practicing and perfecting any maneuvers even on a windy day. You still have total control and the plane behaves just like it normally would o n a calm day. (I felt the rolls and snap rolls were sluggish though even on high rates)
So IMHO,
Heading hold mode- to impress your flying club mates and show off your "skills"
Rate mode- Saviour on a windy day

I have not started FPV (yet). There may be more uses with FPV.
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Dear Melnic,
May I ask you a few questions to broaden my understanding?

1) When using an A3 Pro in attitude hold mode, and I command a roll using ailerons only, will the rudder fight the ailerons? What about in rate mode?
For a rock-solid FPV platform, should I consider not using the rudder stabilization, just aileron and elevator?

2) If in attitude hold mode, and I cut the throttle, will the gyro hold the nose on the horizon, thus causing a stall rather than a descent?

3) Why must the neutrals be set mechanically only? What's the problem with a little trim?

Thank you for your knowledge. 
I only flew my A3 Pro in Heading hold mode for a short bit of 1 test flight. I did not like it w/ the Hawksky which is an Easy Star Clone. It was very sensitive and did not feel natural. I'm planning to put the A3 Pro in a 3D plane instead and try that. If memory serves me, yes, I had to do coordinated Ruder/Aileron turns or when I banked the plane, the nose hung up on me while the rudder was fighting the turn. It was only a little cause the Hawsky does not have a big rudder.
Yes, Heading hold can cause a stall. I"ve seen that.

Setting the neutrals mechanically is simply a good practice over all, most of th gyros if you use rate mode, it is not a problem to set the trims with the subtrim on the radio. I recommend that as a general rule because doing it keeps you out of some of the obscure setup issues I sometimes see. With the A3 Pro, I first flew it w/ the trims out and in Rate mode, it was fine, but in HH mode, it was off. The A3 then has a "stick centering" function that I did not use.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Rising star,So it sounds like the Gyro is allowing you to have 2 planes in one!
A T28 that flies in the wind like it is a calm day.
And a T28 that flies like an Extra 300

As mentioned in the previous post about the Stick centering, did you use the stick centering function in the A3 Pro or did you set the trims up mechanically so you did not have any subtrim used?