Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,917 Posts
Quote:
First, this approach will only work if both gear and flap channels are used for nothing else, only stabilizer control.

On my DX8 I was able to set up the following control, the stabilizer control would be plugged into the gear channel. This approach should work on many other radios as well, I think the 6i has this capability:

GS=Gear Switch, FS=Flap Switch

G F Gear(stabilizer control)
S S Output

0 0 50% (off)
1 0 -100% (2D)
1 1 -50% (2D half rate)
0 1 +100% (3D)

The settings are Gear Travel position 0=50% 1=100%, Flap travel unchanged. Mix Flap>gear 0= -100% 1= 0%

The polarity and % could be tweaked to suit. Awkward but doable. You could instead mix gear to flaps if the switch locations on your transmitter suit you better.
Flybynight2:
If you have an available custom mix as well as both gear and flap switches available you may be able to work out something like the above which did not use sub-trim.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Last edited by choochoo22; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, SC, Hollywood
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Zee - Can you tell me how you set up your wing with a gyro as well as your TX? I've been all over the forum but obviously not the right place yet.
Many thanx,
DB
DrBlade is offline Find More Posts by DrBlade
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:47 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,731 Posts
Melnic a question. You say to put the gyro on the gear channel, but on the plane I intend to use this on it has gear and flaps. I want the gyro to always compensate rather than heading hold. Your input as to how to set this up is greatly appreciated.
Mike
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Melnic a question. You say to put the gyro on the gear channel, but on the plane I intend to use this on it has gear and flaps. I want the gyro to always compensate rather than heading hold. Your input as to how to set this up is greatly appreciated.
Mike
For a gyro that REQUIRES a gain input, You need a spare channel. Do you have a spare channel and can you tie it to a switch or a knob? Gear or Flaps are just examples that I give. For a Gyro like a Futaba GY240, you don't need a spare channel for it, but it will always be on.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,731 Posts
I do have spare channels on my Rx's in that plane I have an 8 channel rx and the SD-10g has s buttload of switches and knobs that can be assigned to different channels
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Just do what is shown for the gear channel using your spare channel and it will work fine. Use travel(endpoint) adjust for the gyro gain and subtrim for adjustment of an OFF point (if you need it).

Gain input is just looking at a servo position. YOu can see that in my videos:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/switchprogramming.html
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, TX, San Marcos
Joined Apr 2012
238 Posts
I have been flying a Floater-Jet with gyros for a while one the aileron and elevator, I was flying in 20 mph winds yesterday and I came out of a dive at about 20 feet to come in and land, as soon as I start to come out of the dive I guess the gyros came off their mount and pitched forward, which made the plane go full elevator and pull straight up with basically no throttle catch the wind like a kite and slam into the ground. I think I literally broke every part of the plane! Prop, motor mount, both wings, rudder, esc!, control linkages, rudder servo, and the battery will go to the end of the line since it took some damage. I even almost lost the receiver!

So in summary, gyros are great, but make sure they are well attached
kfennell is offline Find More Posts by kfennell
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2010
59 Posts
Possible damaged analog servo

Hi Guys,

I hooked up a JR Sport MN 48 servo in digital mode (dumb) on the Detrum Gyro and did a quick test.

Worked OK and then I realized my mistake and changed to analog mode. The servo seems OK.

Do you think I have damaged it internally and should replace it before I fly?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
LakeTahoeJim is offline Find More Posts by LakeTahoeJim
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,166 Posts
My silly question is - if I wanted to put gyro stabilization on an ELEVON wing that only has two servos - elevator and aileron mixed - do I need TWO gyros in line - one on each channel just oriented differently?

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
My silly question is - if I wanted to put gyro stabilization on an ELEVON wing that only has two servos - elevator and aileron mixed - do I need TWO gyros in line - one on each channel just oriented differently?

Hillbille
You need a V-Tail mixer. I have one for free, just pay shipping.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeJim View Post
Hi Guys,

I hooked up a JR Sport MN 48 servo in digital mode (dumb) on the Detrum Gyro and did a quick test.

Worked OK and then I realized my mistake and changed to analog mode. The servo seems OK.

Do you think I have damaged it internally and should replace it before I fly?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
If it's working OK I wouldn't worry about it. I did the same thing. Hooked everything up and the rudder wasn't responding correctly. Took a few minutes to realize I had switched the Gyro to digital mode by mistake. I'e since been using that same servo for a while now without any issues.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post

Hillbille
2 gyros like this:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/elevongyroinstall.html

or 1or2 using a mixer. Just know that some people have had issues with jitter when using a mixer.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
2 gyros like this:

or 1or2 using a mixer. Just know that some people have had issues with jitter when using a mixer.
That's a cool solution, did not think of that before.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
2 gyros like this:

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about! Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

I suppose I might mention exactly WHAT I am wanting to try. I want to set this up - exactly as you have it described - and then use the "wing" ( a superfly will be my initial choice as it is mid motor and almost indestructible) for a video platform to follow or side shoot video using small keychain cameras. Being able to fly out to a point and "set" the gyros to maintain some degree of stable flight while another few planes fly past for in flight video is what I am after. Also a nice look down - video down - stable STRAIGHT line flight over a video "target" is also desirable to me.

Hopefully the weight of all of this will be absorbed by the plane fairly easily. If not then another "wing" is in the waiting to be built stage! LOLL!!

Again - Thank You so much!!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:14 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
the gyros will not auto level the plane so it's going to need to be under remote control.