iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:52 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
841 Posts
from cyclops2,
"I always wonder if we are falling into the same problem as full sized passenger airliners have.

A person CAN NOT fly the airliner. It needs the abilities of a computer to fly."

i hear you.
have you ever seen an su-37 or an f-16 or even a yf-22 fly without the aid of gyro's the answer is NO, except maybe for the su-37 performing a "cobra" maneuver where the pilot has to turn off or temporarily override the flight gyro's to allow the aircraft to attain such a high aoa that abruptly. in the 70's when the f-16 rolled out nothing could u-turn as sharp (180 in 100 yards without exhaust vectoring) but, it was also the most inherently unstable airframe ever manufactured up to that time. it could not be flown without gyro's in charge of the flight control surfaces. when you see the su-37 land, not only is it evident that the thing was designed very very tail heavy but if you can get close enough you can see the control surfaces making a bunch of very fast movements all the way to the ground. those are not being done by that hung over, underpaid kgb wannabe behind the wheel. NO SIR, those things has been infiltrating our flight systems for a long time. i wish they would infect our f-22's so we could do "walls" ,aka "the cobra maneuver"
wait, our engines won't run with an interrupted or unstable airflow like the russian engines will... uh, never mind.
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Apr 01, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: you know
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Flight Report

I got a chance to test my FPV Slow Stick with flat wing, ailerons and GY48V on roll today. I was impressed to say the least. The forecast was breezy with gusts over 15mph, no steady wind to speak of. I could see it correcting in the air in the crosswind and I landed in a crosswind, while in a crab with rudder and pulled it off. I think gyros will have a home on all my planes from here on out. No more cancelled sessions due to gusty conditions.

I had it setup on rate ~ 30% and also on a low off setting on the gear switch, but never needed it on the maiden.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:10 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
o.k. i plugged it in, it initializes, then it does nothing but stutter with any movement at all.....
what am i doing wrong????
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
o.k. i plugged it in, it initializes, then it does nothing but stutter with any movement at all.....
what am i doing wrong????
Is the gyro firmly mounted in the plane or handheld/loose? Big difference in response/jitter.

Other options:
Gain set too high.
Speed set to high.
Make sure proper servo type is selected - digital/standard
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
i think i got it!! WHEW!!! thanks to all who guided a blind man thru the darkness and helped me understand this (not new)high-tech gadget... i can't wait to test fly it...i have it set-up on a well flown
Parkzone Extra 300....but i want to set 1 up on a larger warbird i have, in order to make take-offs on pavement easier... i'm hoping that it will help.....
Last edited by iflyrc1012; Apr 01, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:07 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
glad to see the success stories. Don't forget to make sure gyro reversing is set correctly.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
melnic,
i don't think this gyro has a reverse setting... only 2 adjustments on it delay and limit....
light on is hh mode, and that is turned off, light off is rate mode, and i have that set at 50%
and i will fine tune that after a flight or two with the gyro on. i'm sure the direction of the throws is right as per your video.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:01 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
i found the reversing switch,,,, but how do you reverse it? i've poked it,tried to slide it up or down with a lil' jewelers screw driver,,,, wait a second.... it's a tiny dipswitch
GOT IT NOW!!!!!!!! geeze
nope.... i don't know why but the rev switch does nothing as far as i can see.
the movement is the same way either way the dip is switched. and i need it reversed......
Last edited by iflyrc1012; Apr 01, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:25 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
i found the reversing switch,,,, but how do you reverse it? i've poked it,tried to slide it up or down with a lil' jewelers screw driver,,,, wait a second.... it's a tiny dipswitch
GOT IT NOW!!!!!!!! geeze
the movement is the same way either way the dip is switched. and i need it reversed......
Use an xacto blade.

turn it on/off after switching and reinitialize. It should work.
Sometimes the dip switch does not move all the way even though you think it really did.

Did you see the surface test at mycoolrc?
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyrotestpage.html
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:56 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,097 Posts
Quote:
GOT IT NOW!!!!!!!! geeze
Any changes to Gyro settings on the GYRO need to be done with power off ... so that when you power up - it initialises with new settings. If you do with power on - they usually do not apply until you cycle power off - on.

Tx settings though can be done any time power on / off gyro
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
South Africa, FS, Sasolburg
Joined Apr 2011
38 Posts
Assan GA250 AVCS Gyro

Hi Guys

I bought this gyro for my axn floater jet to be used on the ailerons but
as i need 2 gyros (have flaps mixed in) I decided to use it on the elevator

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15318

The problem is that i can't get it into setup mode, the light stays blue
I am using a hitec optic 6 Tx.
The tail plug is in Ch2 & the gain plug Ch6 (gear ch on Tx)
I have set the % between 20-50% but nothing. It does not go into
setup mode no matter how much i toggle the switch.

Can you please help me to set it up. I tried the "LAND" option in the radio as that controlls ch2 & 6 but still no luck> the manual only helps with gyros in heli mode
Jeandredubois is offline Find More Posts by Jeandredubois
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,093 Posts
On an Optic 6, if you're using Flaperon ON option, channel 6 is your left aileron. Gyro gain should be on Ch 5.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wood shavings
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeandredubois View Post
Hi Guys

I bought this gyro for my axn floater jet to be used on the ailerons but
as i need 2 gyros (have flaps mixed in) I decided to use it on the elevator
That gyro has a thread of it's own
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362819

Keep in mind that if the instructions ask you to move the rudder stick, you will have to move the elevator stick instead.
I have used 4 of these on cheap helicopters.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
stabilizing a longitudinally-unstable aircraft on the pitch axis.

Has anyone ever tried to make an RC aircraft unstable on the pitch axis--on purpose---then stabilize it with a gyro so that it is flyable? I'm trying to get extreme pitch capabilities in a standard airplane and was wondering if this would be possible?

I envision taking a normal plane, adding a Detrum GY48V gyro to the pitch axis, and moving the C.G. back, re-trimming and retesting, moving it back, re-trimming and retesting, moving it back, etc., until the plane is literally unflyable without the gyro. I want the plane to be SO UNSTABLE that I can turn the gyro off in mid-air and watch the plane tumble end-over end, then I flip a switch on the Tx to turn it back on, and the plane suddenly rights itself and starts flying straight agaiin.

I think this may be possible, and I wonder if I will need to use HH mode on the gyro in order to maintain stable flight. I imaging flying in HH mode on the elevator is doable, but would require some serious practice and feel really weird.
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001
Last edited by panther3001; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:25 PM.