HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman munster View Post
just wanted to tell melnic, thank you, for your very informative videos on setting up gyros in an airplane. I just got through setting up a gyro on my rudder to tame down my aircraft during takeoff. The videos you made covering the rudder/gyro made it an easy and stress free project.
cool!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Over the past week I have been reading several pages a day, and am now over 3/4 of the way through this thread. I've also read a fair bit of the web page referenced in post #1. I can see how it must be frustrating when new people come on stream and keep asking the same questions over and over. The ones about "which way should my servo move" should be intuitive, but the ones about terminology are understandable as we are all using different gyros and different radios.

For example I am using a mems gyro that has a travel adjust screw on it. It works just fine where it is so I haven't played with it. Then there is a wire to be used to control the gain. To control the gain, I use the travel adjustment for the gear channel on the DX6i. I understand that it is actually controlling the gain even though my radio calls it "Travel Adjust".

Even after all that reading, and considering I have a gyro that works the way I want it to, there is still one thing I don't get. When I increase the gain (gear endpoints) on the radio, the ailerons travel a larger distance. If they also move faster, I have no way of telling. So if you are in rate mode, and you increase the gain should they move further or faster or both? There is no delay setting on this gyro.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; Mar 23, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Thanks for the Info! I use a 9x with ER9x. Ill just build a curve for a POT that maxes at 0. That way i can get a more precise rate control.
The 9x is a good radio for this sort of thing as it's possible to assign literally any switch to any fuinction including the rotary knobs. You have in fact reminded me of this and I shall be assigning my gyro not to the flick switch, but to a pot knob - so like you say - I can adjust in flight / without entering menu etc.

It's like the flaps on my Cessna ......... unlike most people who have to use flick switch for flaps on / off ......... I use the left front rotary knob and can infinitely adjust my flaps by just sliding my index finger across it. In fact I could if I wanted create a SPOILER - 0 - FLAP with that - but it would need a marker for zero.
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:27 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
.................Even after all that reading, and considering I have a gyro that works the way I want it to, there is still one thing I don't get. When I increase the gain (gear endpoints) on the radio, the ailerons travel a larger distance. If they also move faster, I have no way of telling. So if you are in rate mode, and you increase the gain should they move further or faster or both? There is no delay setting on this gyro.
Right .... think of it like this ....

The gyro is able to detect far faster and minutely any change in attitude of the model and corrects faster and better than you as a detached human ... so in effect smaller but more movements of the surface.

How fast does the surface move ? As fast as the servo can go. Nothing less, nothing more. Why ? The gyro is like instant Tx stick move to a position ... the servo will then follow at it's max speed. It is not like you moving the stick at a speed you want ... ie 2 seconds from neutral to full deflection - the servo will follow and mimic that 2 seconds. The gyro will INSTANTLY command a position and servo will do its best to instantly obey .. so at it's maximum operating speed.

It is part of the reason that digital are preferred .. so you get maximum speed of the servo, many people say it's power / torque related but in fact it's speed to position. If the servo is a slow servo - then the gyro will take that as another reason to input and the model may get badly affected by gyro flipping side to side in command but servo unable to keep up. That is why some gyros have delay adjust.
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:39 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Jovanx,
Gyros don't always act like other gyros. so If you make sure you have the same mechanical throws with the gyro as you did before the gyro, that's the best place to start. Then set your gain for 30% rate mode and fly after verify the gyro is reversed correctly.
Then go from there. If you already set up max mechanical throw, and you want more roll rate, just increase your surface travel adjust (like aileron for example). If you want more wind stability, then increase gain.
My advice is to not overthink it on the ground. Make sure you have it reversed and everything else that is mentioned on mycoolrc.com but don't get overboard looking at how the surface moves and how far with the sticks on the ground.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:54 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Does anyone have a 3 axis gyro they recommend in an airplane of have any experience using a Futaba CYG-750 in an airplane?

With all of the ASX3 micro airplanes and heli's coming out I am interested in experimenting with a 3 axis gyro in a larger plane and seeing what happens.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Dabbler View Post
Does anyone have a 3 axis gyro they recommend in an airplane of have any experience using a Futaba CYG-750 in an airplane?

With all of the ASX3 micro airplanes and heli's coming out I am interested in experimenting with a 3 axis gyro in a larger plane and seeing what happens.
No need to experiment. There are 3 axis units coming out specifically for rc airplanes...

Here are a few...

1) EagleTree Systems 2D/3D Guardian:
http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

2) Eagle Hobby A3 and the yet to be announced A6 units...
www.hobbyeagle.com

3) FY-Tech FY30A and FY20A

4) OpenAero for the KK board. See Hobbyking.com for the board itself.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568554

5) I know of one person who has successfully applied the mVbar to control an airplane

6) I know of one person who has successfully applied the SK720 to control an airplane

7) The Grand Daddy of them all - Gyrobot 900 Wing

8) There's a growing handful of cheap Chinese flybarless heli controllers similar to 5 and 6 that you might be able to setup for an airplane.

9) http://code.google.com/p/phubar/ and write your own code!

10)?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 27, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Don't forget MultiWii will work for flying wings and airplanes now.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Awesome!!

Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
No need to experiment. There are 3 axis units coming out specifically for rc airplanes...

Here are a few...

1) EagleTree Systems 2D/3D Guardian:
http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

2) Eagle Hobby A3 and the yet to be announced A6 units...
www.hobbyeagle.com

3) FY-Tech FY30A and FY20A

4) OpenAero for the KK board. See Hobbyking.com for the board itself.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568554

5) I know of one person who has successfully applied the mVbar to control an airplane

6) I know of one person who has successfully applied the SK720 to control an airplane

7) The Grand Daddy of them all - Gyrobot 900 Wing

8) There's a growing handful of cheap Chinese flybarless heli controllers similar to 5 and 6 that you might be able to setup for an airplane.

9) http://code.google.com/p/phubar/ and write your own code!

10)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Don't forget MultiWii will work for flying wings and airplanes now.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:42 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I can say the Eagle A3 works, but you can't turn anything off in flight.

My budd has it on an camera plane and he has to do coordinated ruder/aile turns.
It works like a 3 axis rate mode gyro. KK controller does airplanes too.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
So i have a new profile foamy and i want to use a GYRO for my ailerons. I have a dual servo setup with my DX6i and I do not want to move to a single setup with a "Y" for a couple of reasons...

Can I add a GYRO to just one side (I saw this on here somewhere) and how would I connect the Gyro as I have the extra servo hooked into my 6th channel and running the Tx in "areo" mode.

Can i still set it up in the gear channel and turn it off and on ans such? How would i configure it?? And this is the the GYRO I am looking at (due to size and price! )

HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15318
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
In reference to the use of gyros.

Great.

Now all pilots can blame the " computer " for a crash. Not poor piloting.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
cyclops,
why would need to make a post like that? you enjoy your hobby your way,
and with a little help from the computer, i'll fly rolling circles around you.....
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
cyclops,
why would need to make a post like that? you enjoy your hobby your way,
and with a little help from the computer, i'll fly rolling circles around you.....
We sometimes have to coax our elders into the 20th (now 21st!) century... six thousand posts, but he just got his first lipos a little over 90 days ago, so I'd imagine he might be a teech set in his ways...

We need to show him a Beast running 3 axis gyros running like a .40 sized gasser, and he'd be an instant convert.

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
So i have a new profile foamy and i want to use a GYRO for my ailerons. I have a dual servo setup with my DX6i and I do not want to move to a single setup with a "Y" for a couple of reasons...

Can I add a GYRO to just one side (I saw this on here somewhere) and how would I connect the Gyro as I have the extra servo hooked into my 6th channel and running the Tx in "areo" mode.

Can i still set it up in the gear channel and turn it off and on ans such? How would i configure it?? And this is the the GYRO I am looking at (due to size and price! )

HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15318
Yes, you can. set up the aileron gyro just like the one on mycoolrc.com
gain on ch5. It will not be as stable as using a Y though.
As always, I recommend using 30% gain in rate mode for maiden.