HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
I flew today in 8-10 mph winds. Made passes with gyro on and off, The higher winds made the wings flutter just a bit.

I still have quite a bit of drift to the right. So much so that trimming left does not correct the problem. Did I miss something?

T-28 with G48 gyro on DX8.
?? is that drift flat to right or BANK to right as though aileron is acting ?

?? What was angle of model flight to wind direction ?

?? Is gyro on Heading Hold or Rate Mode and what setting / gain level are you using ?

?? You don't say what was difference of Gyro on / off ...
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Bank

into and with

rate mode 30

gyro on - bank, off - level

thanks
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Bank

into and with

rate mode 30

gyro on bank, off level
I assume that Gyro is aligned properly and not able to move ... if it's installed with Velcro - DUMP the velcro it's not stable enough. Even some double side tape is not stable enough if you use the thick stuff. The Gyro must be absolutely rock solid still to the airframe ... remember it's working on the tiniest of motion changes that we cannot detect literally ! That is also why vibration can be such a problem as well as damaging components.

Ok ... when you power up ... keep model level and still till gyro has initialised, if you don't ... if you immediately move model as soon as you power up - the gyro has no reference point .... this on many gyros despite claims can be in rate and heading hold. In flight - it then may be erratic or decide on a different attitude as you find.

If that doesn't solve it ... we try with gain adjusted down ... see what effect you get.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
bug bitten, Rate mode gyro itself should not drift. If it's rolling, trim it out. If you have it trimmed all the way, then the problem is mechanical. I tend to fly all of my planes w/o the gyro first, then adjust the mechanical linkages to the servos so that if flies well with zero trims or subtrims. Gyro does not like initializing with trims, even in Rate mode.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
+1 on the floppy wing, I will add that to my list.
Incidently, my buddy had the Eagle A3. He commented that it was not helping much. Well, his gains were pretty low and he has the EPP wing Hobbyking FPV plane and the coupling from the fuse to the wing is not the best. he flew it and it was all over the place. He landed then we looked at it and his Aileron and Rudder gyros were reversed! I'm surprised he got it down. He's got to reverse them in the A3 and will do that and try it again. Good thing his gains WERE LOW! I never checked it for him cause he said he checked it. I should have done the work and doublechecked it for him. So the Jury is still out on the A3, maybe it's going to be fine once we get him straightened out.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
................Gyro does not like initializing with trims, even in Rate mode.
That is the general accepted view - but has been shown enough times to not actually be true. It was a full blown discussion on one forum I used ... and finally people tested and found trims did not upset the gyro as usually stated.

How ? The trim whether centred or clicked to trim out - has same basic signature to the gyro ... it does not care. What it sees is the nuetral signal Tx to Rx ... when it initialises.... Tx and Rx are in synch before Gyro initialises.

But I expect as was seen on the other forum - the above will not be accepted ... no problem ...

BUT - do agree that trim should be performed w/o Gyro so that model is trimmed out normal for gyro to then act on.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
many gyros won't initialize if the trim it too far off. It depends on the gyro. I know my Esky 704 did not like it, nor did my Gy401. others don't mind the trim off.
If the gyro WILL initialize, yes, no problem. But I recomend people trim it mechanically anyway, that way you will have full range of electronic trimming in the end.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
many gyros won't initialize if the trim it too far off. It depends on the gyro. I know my Esky 704 did not like it, nor did my Gy401. others don't mind the trim off.
If the gyro WILL initialize, yes, no problem. But I recomend people trim it mechanically anyway, that way you will have full range of electronic trimming in the end.
None of my Esky 704 rate gyros would initialize if there was any trim. So, my belief is not imagined but true.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
None of my Esky 704 rate gyros would initialize if there was any trim. So, my belief is not imagined but true.
Fair enough ........... have to say though that the long drawn out thread on that forum was with Helicopters and generally gyros like the 704 are for cheaper end of market ...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,870 Posts
So i have been reading on the GYA351 and what iv depicted from the useless documentation I have found is that:

No gain sense wire - HH only
Gain sense with Signal above 0 - HH mode?
Gain sense with Signal at 0 - Neutral?
Gain sense with signal below 0 - Rate mode?

am I even close to what this should be?

I got the for $11 and they initialize with any trim settings, even if im throwing my sticks around it will start up fine. Iv just been using default HH mode on my planes and im fine with it so far but i would like rate...
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Mar 21, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Fair enough ........... have to say though that the long drawn out thread on that forum was with Helicopters and generally gyros like the 704 are for cheaper end of market ...
Yes, they are cheap if you can find them.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
So i have been reading on the GYA351 and what iv depicted from the useless documentation I have found is that:

No gain sense wire - HH only
Gain sense with Signal above 0 - HH mode?
Gain sense with Signal at 0 - Neutral?
Gain sense with signal below 0 - Rate mode?

am I even close to what this should be?

I got the for $11 and they initialize with any trim settings, even if im throwing my sticks around it will start up fine. Iv just been using default HH mode on my planes and im fine with it so far but i would like rate...
The gain settings on Tx depend on the radio used ... Spektrum is 50% is Neutral ... over 50% is HH, under 50% is Rate mode.

9X ... 0 is neutral, +ve % is HH, -ve % is Rate Mode.

So you have to check what applies to your radio. Second the Gyro itself can affect the gain ... my G105 has not only gain but delay settings as well ... see attached. It's a budget Gyro but has good following in sport Heli crowd.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
OK, my buddy has his Eagle A3 3axis system all configured right and saw him fly today. It's MUCH better now that the gyros are set up right!

I still need to try my Eagle N6 which should pretty much fly the same.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The gain settings on Tx depend on the radio used ... Spektrum is 50% is Neutral ... over 50% is HH, under 50% is Rate mode.

9X ... 0 is neutral, +ve % is HH, -ve % is Rate Mode.

So you have to check what applies to your radio. Second the Gyro itself can affect the gain ... my G105 has not only gain but delay settings as well ... see attached. It's a budget Gyro but has good following in sport Heli crowd.
Thanks for the Info! I use a 9x with ER9x. Ill just build a curve for a POT that maxes at 0. That way i can get a more precise rate control.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Just wanted to tell Melnic, Thank you, for your very informative videos on setting up gyros in an airplane. I just got through setting up a gyro on my rudder to tame down my aircraft during takeoff. The videos you made covering the rudder/gyro made it an easy and stress free project.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster