HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
That's the same as the FMA Co-pilot. Not quite like a gyro, you have to release the sticks for it to level the aircraft.
looking on FMA site - it's a lot more gear and also double the price !
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,149 Posts
Today there is still hardly any wind, so I haven't had a chance to really test out the gyro. I decided to take it out anyway and see what HH would do. When testing it on the ground, I could see there was more aileron movement than there was in rate mode, but at least they moved in the right direction.

I took it up nice and high and hit the switch. It started shaking violently (not like the little shakes I got yesterday in rate mode) so I switched it back and was happy to find I was still in control of the plane. All good - nice landing. I guess the gain is too high, but I haven't tried turning it down and doing another flight yet.

I've been following the recent posts about things like Co-pilot and Alien Command that use different methods to keep the wings level. The existence of these things makes me suspect that gyros are not ideal for that purpose, and people are looking for something more effective. If my goal is to take nice videos with a level horizon, is a HH gyro really going to do that?

I think I'm just going to forget about HH for now and see if I can get my DX6i to give me 2 different settings of rate mode (one about 25% and the other one so low as to be essentially off). Haven't found the magic button yet....
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; Mar 17, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Make sure gain channel has a signal.
GY192 or GY292?
GY192. I am not sure about the gain signal, I will try another channel and see. I thought it would work without an Rx signal too....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,149 Posts
Hand Launching

I'm still reading away...and am up to page 48. There is lots of good stuff here and I finally came across some info about my DX6i that helped. This radio doesn't have any 3-position switches, so choices are limited. I still haven't had a chance to fly in any wind that is more than a slight breeze. I am only using rate mode.

Is it normal for aileron gyros to be a little weird on hand-launches? It is a little unnerving as it goes through a little routine before settling down to steady flight. Is it just because there isn't enough speed over the ailerons to have an effect but it is trying anyway? Normally I am very comfortable with hand-launching this Mustang, can do it with either hand, and never have to use full throttle.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:42 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
GY192. I am not sure about the gain signal, I will try another channel and see. I thought it would work without an Rx signal too....
How ? The gyro takes power and controls the servo with one lead ... the other is the signal to decide the level of gain and setting it should work to.
Most radios will need the Tx aux ch set to Gyro and corresponding plug in Rx.

The gyrop should have instructions clearly about this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:31 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I believe the GY192 will operate in Heading Hold mode ONLY if you disconnect the gain wire.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I believe the GY192 will operate in Heading Hold mode ONLY if you disconnect the gain wire.
Just googled manual .... true - without gain sense wire connected it is HH only and you adjust HH by the pot on the gyro.

Not really ideal for a fixed wing .... but fine for a FP 4ch Heli.

I checked my G105 and no mention of use without sense wire plugged in. But the G105 is a bit more adjustable than the GY192 ...
Last edited by solentlife; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,149 Posts
I finally got some good gusty wind to try it out and it was impressive. When flying in calm air the last couple of days, I reduced the gain from 30 to 25 to get rid of the shakes. Today in the gusty wind it shook again and I reduced it to 20 and then it was ok. I can imagine that any play in the linkages would cause problems. What about the servos themselves? Do digital servos work better than analog when using gyros?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I finally got some good gusty wind to try it out and it was impressive. When flying in calm air the last couple of days, I reduced the gain from 30 to 25 to get rid of the shakes. Today in the gusty wind it shook again and I reduced it to 20 and then it was ok. I can imagine that any play in the linkages would cause problems. What about the servos themselves? Do digital servos work better than analog when using gyros?
This question come up alot, I just added a page to address that:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/optimizing.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx

This question come up alot, I just added a page to address that:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/optimizing.html
Answering this as a Heli guy .........

Digital are usually advised to give a crisper and quicker response to gyro command. But are not essential .. in fact for most sport flying are not necessary. Many will fly quite comfortably with analogue, moving up to digital as flying changes style.
Here we have a fixed wing that the gyro is not being asked ideally to "fly the tail" like a heli - but to damp down unwanted effects of torque, wind etc, On a fixed wing as you are not wanting to hover, you want to have gyro in background but with you in command. It assists you to stabilise the model. therefore suggest that a compromise is called for .. (actually Helis we have that as well - we can have different levels of gyro given different conditions but most will adjust to an average setting that works and then use the right stick anyway).

So find your average best setting and that will cover most of your needs ... if you have a variable knob on Tx as I have ... you can in fact dial as needed while flying but with some of the speeds - that is not so easy !
You can also use the "Idle-up" way to give you two levels of gyro sensitivity ... flick one way its low, flick it other and its higher ... so you can have two settings to cover most conditions.

Digital is best but analogue works ...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
You should also balance your prop and spinner. Also make sure your motor shaft is not bent. These are the primary vibration causing components on an aircraft that can cause a gyro assisted servo to behave erratically - especially in the roll axis. And will cause you to run a lower and ineffective gain level.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Parkflyrc has a few more of the Esky 704 (not A or B) gyros left but they aren't listed on their web site. Email Rom at parkflyrc@gmail.com and he can hook you up. Forgot to say it is rate only - no HH mode.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Last edited by LawnDartMike; Mar 20, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,149 Posts
Thank you guys for all the great info. I have one more item to add to the list of things that can create slop in the system and cause problems with gyros. Like most people, I'm starting out with my oldest and most beat-up plane. The wings don't attach to the fuselage as solidly as they used to and there is noticeable play in there. It has never caused a problem up until now, but you can easily imagine what would happen when you put a gyro on the ailerons.

All things considered, it is amazing that it works as well as it does. The little "shaking sessions" I mentioned were short in duration. It would just do it for a second or two and then stop. I don't understand why it would stop and not just keep oscillating.

I bet I'm not the only person out there with wings that are a little loose. I am going to try moving the gyro out of the fuselage and attaching it to the wing itself. I'm betting that will allow me to crank the gain back up to 25 or 30.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:49 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
If I had loose wing - i would sort that out as it can only get worse. Typical on foamies is that wing bolts crush the foam or the plate works loose. So a brace of thin plastic or ply works wonders.

I also found a use for old prop hubs that have the nut moulded hole ... I trim it back to a clean hub ... epoxy into a hole and I have a perfect trapped nut for wing bolts, canopys etc.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
547 Posts
I flew today in 8-10 mph winds. Made passes with gyro on and off, The higher winds made the wings flutter just a bit.

I still have quite a bit of drift to the right. So much so that trimming left does not correct the problem. Did I miss something?

T-28 with G48 gyro on DX8.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator