Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
Has anyone tried the HK KK gyro based controller on an airplane? Theyre about $30.00 and there is firmware for an airplane configuration.

What I was thinking of doing is using the KK as a stabilizer and a $25.00 ardupilot(waypoints and altitude hold) with version 1.0 firmware. The version 1.0 Ardupilot was written to work with an FMA copilot, but I figure its written for an external form of stabilization so shouldnt matter how that's done.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Oh great, I have Spektrum! I got 10 of the gyros today and the sheet that comes with them is, uhm, not so good. Back the the pages that Melnic has for us!
OOPs
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:28 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
I would bet that you don't use the rudder much in flight. Most people fly helicopters in HH mode and we use rudder all the time. I use rudder on all my planes.
Well you lose that bet. Just because I use a gyro on ONE of my planes that is extremely difficult in ground handling doesn't mean I don't use the rudder when flying my planes. I turn the gyro off after takeoff because it's no longer needed. In fact I got used to flying with the rudder from flying my helicopter.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Oh great, I have Spektrum! I got 10 of the gyros today and the sheet that comes with them is, uhm, not so good. Back the the pages that Melnic has for us!
This is Melnic's site and it covers just about everything for setting up a gyro, on any of the 3 axis, including video how tos He explains the set up for the GY48 in detail.

http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Has anyone tried the HK KK gyro based controller on an airplane? Theyre about $30.00 and there is firmware for an airplane configuration.

What I was thinking of doing is using the KK as a stabilizer and a $25.00 ardupilot(waypoints and altitude hold) with version 1.0 firmware. The version 1.0 Ardupilot was written to work with an FMA copilot, but I figure its written for an external form of stabilization so shouldnt matter how that's done.
I have one on order to try. I'll try it on an airplane to evaluate it, then I'm making a quadcopter. Since you have to flash the board and program it, it's not that straight forward for the purposes of this thread but I'll do it anyway.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:35 AM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Well you lose that bet. Just because I use a gyro on ONE of my planes that is extremely difficult in ground handling doesn't mean I don't use the rudder when flying my planes. I turn the gyro off after takeoff because it's no longer needed. In fact I got used to flying with the rudder from flying my helicopter.
That is exactly how I ended up using a gyro on rudder. My plane was fine on a grass runway but I joined a club with a paved runway. I would have tried moving the gear back or toe in but the gear is carbon and mounted through the sides of the fuselage.
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
From your description of how the plane flew when you tried to turn with HH on it sounded like it was cross controlled from lack of rudder input and the gyro was trying to maintain heading while you tried to turn with aileron. Oh well, that's why I don't go to Vegas
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Quote:
This is Melnic's site and it covers just about everything for setting up a gyro, on any of the 3 axis, including video how tos He explains the set up for the GY48 in detail.

http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Yep, spent hours there looking .... problem is, I'm a pea brained pin-head and it's tough for me to wrap my head around it.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:10 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
I need to get my planes more controllable in windy conditions. I am confused on what gyro should i get that will actually make them fly in wind better... My main problem is landing an is where i need the most help... The wind bounces my planes around an constantly on the rudder trying to keep it strait. Most of the time it takes 3-4 attempts before i can get it with the wind as it is now (narrow landing strip or disaster) after trying 3 times an having to pull back threw wind has caused me to stall when trying to throttle up an go for another round but the batteries just don't have the juice after several trys.... Costing me more money then what i care to keep repairing them... So, Am in need of some good gyro's that will work great in wind...

Any help?
schusterjo is online now Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Go to post #1, the link is there. I bought the same gyros listed there so that it will be easier to follow step by step. Going to try to hook them up today.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
OK, simple questions ..I have searched and found nothing specific. Remember that I am mech and tron challenged.

The gyro is the Detrum GY48V

#1 --- for just rate on the ailerons, I do NOT need to hook up the gain wire, right?

#2 --- The gain wire has ONE wire on it, does it go to the + or - side of the rcvr. Continue reading, expaination follows. I have a DX6i, using Spektrum rcvrs, so I have to shave off the little ridge/edge that auto aligns the plug to the rcvr that you "other" folks have.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
GY48V requires gain wire connected to a spare channel.
Gain wire will have the single wire on the S side. Your RX will have
- + S
- is ground (black or brown wire on a servo)
+ is power (red wire on a servo)
S is the signal wire (white or yellow or orange wire on a servo)

I typically grind/shave off the futaba key edge on my gyros
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
OK, did a lot of testing/checking and I have the gain wire acclimated to the + position, 99.999% sure that is correct. Also figured out that the gyro does NOTHING without that wire also plugged in, so make that 100% sure!

On my gear travel adjust, I have one set at 0% and the other set at 25%. Anything more and it just seemed like it would over control it. If I want rudder gyro also, I'll have to use the aux which then will require using another switch just for that I guess.

Melnic - looks like you posted as I was typing! Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Correction 30% seems good.

BUT, however, when I switch the gear switch to the other position to "disable" the gyro .... the trim is different on the ailerons. One position they are centered, the other position they are not. Jeeez I hate being stupid. OK, I'm not stupid, been an air traffic controller for 40+ years, BUT JEEEEZ why is this so far past my capabilities? I never saw anything here or on Melnics pages that addressed that issue.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
for the gy48v, adjust the subtrim on your gain channel till the LED is off in your zero position. that makes sure it's 0 gain in rate mode. That's in my videos.
So with my gear switch, one way is 0% travel adjust and the other is 30%. I set subtrim with switch in the 0% position till the light goes off. That should yeild the same trim setting.