Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
Hi, thanks for your excellent article, I, newbie and started to learn with my hand made Mickey rc trainer, I did some short flyes and always broke something, the plane seems to be stable but I m rokiee!! so I was considering to install a cheap gyro I bought for my 450 heli that not work as I would want on it (Colco 401 or something like) this night will prepare it to the week end, but, if need to buy a new gyro for the foamy, wich cheap gyro do you recommends? Esky silver and blue? what about installing on 3 axis? I mean on aile, elev and rudder??? I have a 7 CAP Futaba

your comments will be apreciatted so much, thanks
alex_rozzi is offline Find More Posts by alex_rozzi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
The cheap esky silver does not require a seperate channel to control gain.
Some gyros need the seperate channel, some gyros allow you to use the gain dial on the gyro. I don't recall which work without the gain channel.
I think the Esky 704A works without it. I know the Esky silver is usable but larger in size.
I have a Colco GY400 and I"ve used it on a foamie and it was fine in rate mode. I have a friend who saw my plane this week and wants to try it so I should be able to test an Esky 704A or Colco and report back.

One advantage of the Esky 704A and MKS292 is they lie flat parallel with the ailerons, so it's easy to mount.
Melnic is online now Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:12 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
405 Posts
Question about mounting tape for gyro

I have successfully used the PG-03 gyro in several airplanes, but I have a concern. I worry about the mounting tape giving way after UV exposure, heating and cooling, vibration, etc. I have hot glued the gyro in place, but I think I have given up the dampening effect that the tape solution provides.

So, what kind of mounting tape have we found infallible?

Thanks!
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:25 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
I use the 3M indoor/outdoor tape. 2 layers typically.
It's gray in color and has red release paper.
I got it from Home Depot.

BTW, a buddy of mine commented on how to mount the gyros. I'm gonna see if I can put some more pictures on my website pages showing examples of mounting different brands of gyros for different axis. I will try to categorize the gyros by how they are mounted in helicopters, that way people can look at a heli example of how the gyro is mounted, then understand how to translate that to airplane mounting.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hmm, I wonder If this will fly
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I use the 3M indoor/outdoor tape. 2 layers typically.
It's gray in color and has red release paper.
I got it from Home Depot.

BTW, a buddy of mine commented on how to mount the gyros. I'm gonna see if I can put some more pictures on my website pages showing examples of mounting different brands of gyros for different axis. I will try to categorize the gyros by how they are mounted in helicopters, that way people can look at a heli example of how the gyro is mounted, then understand how to translate that to airplane mounting.

I'll second that tape, it doesn't feel all that sticky but it shure holds on tight...
you can also get it in a 1/2" wide roll for automotive weatherstriping at your local auto parts store...
killerproblem is offline Find More Posts by killerproblem
Old May 02, 2010, 01:09 AM
new zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,038 Posts
I use double sided tape as well but then a 3mm plastic zip tie just tight enough to ensure the gyro stays in contact with the tape at all times.
glen is offline Find More Posts by glen
Old May 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
turnigy tg 380 gyros

I just put two turnigy tg 380 rate gyros on the pz t-28 trojan....at factory setting of 50% gain both tail and wings(aile) were wagging. cut back the gain by turning the pots and she flew great! Im estimating at about 25-30% gain in rate mode. Flew it perpendicular to a 15mph wind and was able to watch it track straight with no yaw....hands off the tx!....took it up high and came down into a long shallow turn...took my hands off the sticks and she just held her lines...locked in! You will be amazed at how slow you will be able to land without a wing tipping over....i can practically land it at my feet....can you say who needs flaps!.....Anyways one setup tip....hook up gyro to servos...power everything up....servos will move to a new position and you will need to unscrew the horns and reset them to 90 degrees....use your pushrod clevis to make fine tune adjustments if needed. this way if you turn the gyro off using your gear switch you will have the same trim settings as in rate mode. i set the gear switch up so i can use it to turn off the gyro...using travel adjustment on my dx6i....set one position at 90 and the other to 40 for the switch....you can toggle between the two and test to see if you have retrimmed your servo arms correctly....try to get them exactly the same...or as close as you can. im going to get 4 more of these add one to the elevator and use the other three for my p-38 im building...i'll see if i can hover the t-28!
leadtongue is offline Find More Posts by leadtongue
Old May 14, 2010, 03:00 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
I installed a spare Esky 704A into a combat (SSC) plane today. Our contest is tomorrow and they are forcasting 10-15MPH winds. I could not feel any wind with the gyro installed. One other thing is that the plane will snap if you pull too much elevator. I was able to open up my elevator throw a little more with the gyro without any snapping.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Oława
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Hello,

I've just bought two Esky EK2-0704B gyros and I can't get it to work with control cable unconnected. It even won't initialize - LED stays dim, but I have control of aileron connected through it. I'm wondering whether someone of you uses this gyro in rate mode without spare channel to control it from TX - just adjusted with potentiometers. When I connect control cable to RX then everything is OK - gyro reacts for slightest movements and I can set gain and mode (rate or HH) from TX. My problem is that I don't have this spare channel in my TX..
darzur is offline Find More Posts by darzur
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darzur View Post
Hello,

I've just bought two Esky EK2-0704B gyros and I can't get it to work with control cable unconnected. It even won't initialize - LED stays dim, but I have control of aileron connected through it. I'm wondering whether someone of you uses this gyro in rate mode without spare channel to control it from TX - just adjusted with potentiometers. When I connect control cable to RX then everything is OK - gyro reacts for slightest movements and I can set gain and mode (rate or HH) from TX. My problem is that I don't have this spare channel in my TX..
I think there is a way to set it to HH or Rate mode by tying the control signal to GND or 5V. You can try this with a Y splitter for another channel. Then plug the Control signal into the splitter backwards (so the Signal ties to GND). I think either the 704A or the 704B allows this. Then the gain dial is adjustable, I think then 50% is zero gain and CCW is rate and CW is HH (or visa versa). IF it does not do this with GND tied to the control, try removing the control wire from the servo connector and moving it to the center and try again.

You can also try this w/ the gain wire disconnected. I think the key is that 50% on the dial is neutral(zero) gain and one way is HH and the other is rate mode.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Quote:
I think there is a way to set it to HH or Rate mode by tying the control signal to GND or 5V. You can try this with a Y splitter for another channel. Then plug the Control signal into the splitter backwards (so the Signal ties to GND). I think either the 704A or the 704B allows this. Then the gain dial is adjustable, I think then 50% is zero gain and CCW is rate and CW is HH (or visa versa). IF it does not do this with GND tied to the control, try removing the control wire from the servo connector and moving it to the center and try again.
I tried to tie control signal to GND in my RX, but it didn't help. I'll try again with control wire connected to +5V as you suggested, but I'm close to giving up..

Quote:
You can also try this w/ the gain wire disconnected. I think the key is that 50% on the dial is neutral(zero) gain and one way is HH and the other is rate mode.
With control (gain) wire disconnected it doesn't work. I tried it without any success. No matter what position of gain dial is set gyro doesn't react for movements.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darzur View Post
I tried to tie control signal to GND in my RX, but it didn't help. I'll try again with control wire connected to +5V as you suggested, but I'm close to giving up..

With control (gain) wire disconnected it doesn't work. I tried it without any success. No matter what position of gain dial is set gyro doesn't react for movements.
Sure you have the axis right? FOr the 704B, the label is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. So for aileron, the label faces nose or tail. I have a spare 704B. I may try it myself tonight or tomorrow.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Quote:
Sure you have the axis right? FOr the 704B, the label is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. So for aileron, the label faces nose or tail. I have a spare 704B. I may try it myself tonight or tomorrow.
Yes, axis is right. It works perfectly with control wire connected to one channel. I tried to connect control wire to GND, +Vcc and leave it disconnected - and unfortunately it doesn't work. It looks like "delay" pot have no effect and gyro can be only controlled through control wire.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
No Joy,
I tried the 704A, 704B and the Colco. I could not get any of them working in Rate mode w/o the control line connected. If you connect the control line to GND for the 704A or B, it would work in HH mode. the Colco worked in HH if disconnected.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:05 PM
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Quote:
No Joy,
I tried the 704A, 704B and the Colco. I could not get any of them working in Rate mode w/o the control line connected. If you connect the control line to GND for the 704A or B, it would work in HH mode. the Colco worked in HH if disconnected.
Unfortunately mine is not working even with control cable connected to GND. It's most probably not genuine ESky (I bought it for 10$ on Ebay) so there are some differences between them. I tried everything and it only works with control cable connected to some channel.