SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
I have a HK 401b Gyro. Experimenting with it on my STM Blaze "Hotliner", try to use it on the Ailerons. The Gyro have two switches: one "Delay", ranging from 0 to 100. And one "Limit" going from 60 to 140.
Any idea where to set those switches? Or do I have to try, until I get it right. Never tried a Gyro before, so sorry for newbie questions, but the instructions I have found on the net. Only explain the set up. Not the adjustment.
The downside of using the gyro on the Ailerons, is that I can't use the Spoilerons iI have programmed for the model on my DX6i. Looks like I need one Gyro for each Aileron if i want dual operating Ailerons. Or is it a way around?
digital servos? delay "0" limit "100"

poor servos? delay "20 to 40" limit "100"
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:34 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hmmmmm

O.K. I flew her. Everything is working per video, but does not seem to really do alot. I'm in rate mode and when I turned it on and rocked my wings you could see it push the down wing up, but it didn't get it level. If I bank it will continue to bank. If I want the plane to hold level, then would HH be the mode I would want? For instance, coming in for a landing. I have my servo adjustment at 40% and any higher the wings want to flutter. It was a nice day here so no wind to speak of, go fiqure, so could not test that. Quess I'll keep at it, keeps me involed, and it was only a $16.00 experiment, but still, it's got to do more than that otherwise this thread wouldn't exist...WTH??? Extra hour to fly tomorrow!!!!! Stay High...Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:01 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
O.K. I flew her. Everything is working per video, but does not seem to really do alot. I'm in rate mode and when I turned it on and rocked my wings you could see it push the down wing up, but it didn't get it level. If I bank it will continue to bank. If I want the plane to hold level, then would HH be the mode I would want? For instance, coming in for a landing. I have my servo adjustment at 40% and any higher the wings want to flutter. It was a nice day here so no wind to speak of, go fiqure, so could not test that. Quess I'll keep at it, keeps me involed, and it was only a $16.00 experiment, but still, it's got to do more than that otherwise this thread wouldn't exist...WTH??? Extra hour to fly tomorrow!!!!! Stay High...Dave
A $16 gyro does not seek to "level" your plane's wings, especially in rate mode. What it does should become obvious once you're flying in significant wind - it dampens unwanted motion which is not induced through the servo being controlled by the gyro.

Rate mode: the gyro exhibits no particular preference for any orientation. It merely senses all control inputs which come through the radio signal on the channel it's attached to, and seeks to dampen everything else by short and bursts of opposing servo movement.

HH mode: the gyro "remembers" whatever orientation the plane was in the last time the relevant control stick was left alone. For example, if the gyro is on the ailerons and you go into (vertical) knife-edge, the gyro will resist any tendency by the plane to roll away from KE - unless it comes from your aileron stick in which case the definition of "heading" being "held" is adjusted accordingly. Since it's controlling the ailerons only, the HH gyro won't care whether the plane is pointing West or East, as long as its roll orientation remains in upright KE or wherever you last left the roll axis controls.

Be careful with HH. It can have unintended consequences which are difficult to deal with in flight. For example, HH on the ailerons will seek to counteract any roll induced by the rudder, and the more roll the stronger the aileron opposition. A HH gyro on the rudder would greatly interfere with bank-and-yank style flying.

If you want full self-leveling capabilities of the sort where the plane automagically goes into straight and level flight when you say press a button, that's doable but it costs a lot more than $16
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Last edited by H2SO4; Nov 05, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thanks, now I know what to expect. Where is the wind when you need it? So your saying it just sorta takes the edge off, cool!! I had fun doing it and will still enjoy monkeying with it...
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:16 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, now I know what to expect. Where is the wind when you need it? So your saying it just sorta takes the edge off, cool!! I had fun doing it and will still enjoy monkeying with it...
Yes, it is fun, and it's definitely worthwhile. Rate mode can be thought of as a wind turbulence reducer. If the plane behaves skittishly in say 20km/h winds, putting one or more gyros on it (in rate mode) might make it fun to fly again.

At 30 km/h the plane behaves like the wind is blowing 20 km/h.
In 20 km/h winds the gyro makes it seem like 10-15 km/h.
10 km/h wind with gyro feels like 5 km/h without it.
In zero wind.... it has no effect at all.

That's a vast generalisation of course and the amount of benefit depends on many factors... airframe, gyro quality and the number of surfaces which are under gyro control, the way everything has been configured...
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey, that was the original plan anywho.. Normally it is windy out here daily and I manage to fly anyhow though I have lost a few, on T.O. Now I am hoping for a windy day tomorrow, whats up with that?? Now I really can't lose, Ha, Ha.........sweet!!! Dave
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:55 AM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
661 Posts
OK here's a probably stupid question but I am new to gyros. I just assumed that gyros would only function when the stick is centered on that particular axis.

Do you guys mean to tell me that they are active all the time, and are therefore always fighting your inputs? Crazy. I mean we put a man on the moon (supposedly) and all that.

Seems really lame, tell me I am wrong, but if I am right (and the gyro is always "active" regardless of the pilot's input)... what sort of compensation is done for this allowing the pilot to turn, etc? Do you just keep the gain low? and how is it done electronically, at the servos end, just a simple subtraction ?
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:16 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
OK here's a probably stupid question but I am new to gyros. I just assumed that gyros would only function when the stick is centered on that particular axis.

Do you guys mean to tell me that they are active all the time, and are therefore always fighting your inputs? Crazy. I mean we put a man on the moon (supposedly) and all that.

Seems really lame, tell me I am wrong, but if I am right (and the gyro is always "active" regardless of the pilot's input)... what sort of compensation is done for this allowing the pilot to turn, etc? Do you just keep the gain low? and how is it done electronically, at the servos end, just a simple subtraction ?
HAHA, he's catching on fellas. We've got another convert to the gyro following
No, it doesn't just work when the stick is centred, it's active ALLLLL the time. It doesn't fight your inputs either, but it does regulate them... Ever wonder why they call it "rate mode"? It's because it controls the rate at which you rotate. You basically tell the gyro how quickly you want the plane to roll from your stick input, and the gyro moves the ailerons however much it takes to achieve that roll rate. You may have a cross wind for example, that makes the plane want to bank hard as soon as you begin to roll that way - the gyro would automatically reduce the amount of aileron movement so you could roll that way at the normal speed.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:14 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Hey, that was the original plan anywho.. Normally it is windy out here daily and I manage to fly anyhow though I have lost a few, on T.O. Now I am hoping for a windy day tomorrow, whats up with that?? Now I really can't lose, Ha, Ha.........sweet!!! Dave
How much wind?

Crasher Five Video 6 (1 min 5 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:19 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
digital servos? delay "0" limit "100"

poor servos? delay "20 to 40" limit "100"
Doing this just for the fun. But maybe a little better Gyro will do it more fun.
Thanks! Dillzio too, informative for me too.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Walking out to the strip to test those settings. It's a little wind today which I'm happy to see for once. Tried yesterday at 30% travel and trying 45% today, let's see...captndave BTW..LSU!!!!!
Last edited by zeezee; Nov 06, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
That type of cross wind seems like more than a plane, with or without gyros, should be attempting take offs or landings. I like the one where the warbird got blown into the woods. That's a heck of a cross wind.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:40 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
silver, I chalk those up to pilot error. One of the common mistaks on warbirds is to take off with too little airspeed. You can't do that with them. Warbirds are not typically designed for light wingloading. He pulled up too soon.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:13 AM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
I sounds like when using a gyro it activates the ailerons to flatten the plane out.
How does the plane turn then? With the rudder?
Why even have a gyro if that's the case and just use the rudder alone to turn??
Use the gyro on the rudder?
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Last edited by Dakine48; Nov 07, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:53 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine48 View Post
I sounds like when using a gyro it activates the ailerons to flatten the plane out.
How does the plane turn then? With the rudder?
Why even have a gyro if that's the case and just use the rudder alone to turn??
Use the gyro on the rudder?
Look, all the gyro does is resist uncommanded movement such as you might get from turbulence in the axis it's on. The amount of resistance (the amount the gyro can move the control surface by its own accord) can be controlled via the gain dial.

You will, however, be able to defeat the gyro's resistance with your own inputs.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Nov 07, 2011 at 02:45 AM.