SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:20 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Dillzio,
I can see that there is writing on that chip but can't read it.
Do the instructions say anything about grounding the gain wire to put it into Rate mode? Some older gyros do that.
Having the gain controllable remotely is however a nice thing to have.
On your supercub are you going to put it on rudder or Aileron?

Ailerons, I want it to allow it to handle the windy conditions better
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:19 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Writing on the chip? I pasted image into photoshop and enhanced it and looks like something familiar.
Does it say INVENSENSE?
And if so, what other numbers?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Gyro Stabilization Unit for Rc Planes FY20A

Melnic,

What's you experience with the FY20A?

Hobbypartz has this video but doesn't seem to be selling it.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gystunforrcp.html

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Writing on the chip? I pasted image into photoshop and enhanced it and looks like something familiar.
Does it say INVENSENSE?
And if so, what other numbers?
INVENSENSE is about as close as I can make it out as well. This is literally not visible to the naked eye, at least not to my eyes.

For anyone else I'd say sorry I dunno, but since it's for you Melnic I'll take my gyro apart for the THIRD time now. I've taken some more pics with a camera that has a super macro lens, and played around with them in picasa to try and make the writing clearer.

Why is is particularly familiar to you? Does it have the same chip as a good gyro that you know of? I hope so!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Invensense is a chip technology that rivals the older more expensive MEMS modules that the higher end gyros used to use. Well, I say used to use cause that's what they were using in new designs a few years ago. Everyone is switching to the Invensense because they are 99% as good and only a few $ in cost. Most of the 3 axis heli flybarless systems are going to them (BeastX, Align 3GX) because you can get up to 3 axis in 1 chip for only $4 a chip instead of $20 each for 3 chips. The gyro MFG still has to write good firmware for it (the big chip on the other side of the board). The Assan GA-250 uses the same chip. Pretty soon, only the low grade and micro plane/heli boards will have the Piezo and everything else newly designed will be the Invensense until someone copies their technology. Invensense sells LOTS of these to game console hand held controllers and on phones like the droids and iphones.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:17 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
just got 3 esky 704 gyros from a dude on here
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Apr 2007
11 Posts
I am a relative new pilot having just soloed a couple of years ago. I wanted to try using a gyro as described in Dec. 2010 MA article. So I bought an eFlite G110 gyro and I installed it in my Electistar using a Futaba 7C system with a R617FS receiver and the standard S3003 servos that came with my Electristar. I was using channel 4 for rudder and channel 5 to control the gain. Upon initially turning the system on the rudder servo travelled all to way to one end point and stayed there. Using the transmitter's gear switch I switched the gyro to standard mode but there was no effect on the servo and I could not control the rudder with the stick. I shut the receiver off and then on again and the problem persisted. After powering the receiver on and off a few times the rudder finally responded and I was able to trim the gain. But the next time I turned the system on the problem reappeared. I reduced the gain incrementally until I reached zero in both standard and HH mode but at no time did I have control of the rudder nor could I effect the gyro. I went through the possible problems as described in various articles including making sure the gyro was set for an analog servo and that my receiver battery was fully charged.

I decided there might be a problem with either the gain control wire or the signal pin on channel 5 of the receiver. So I decided I would use channel 7 instead of channel 5 to control the gain and I plugged my battery into channel 5. When I made this switch I noticed that while the J plug of the gyro's control wire seats all the way onto the receiver pins it fits loosely, meaning it wiggles. The gyro appears to work correctly after this change but I worry about that plug coming loose if I try to use it to fly. The only solution I can think of is to get a servo extension wire and plug it into the receiver and then attach the gyro control wire to it and tape the connection so it cannot come apart. Then I will switch back to channel 5 for the gain control and assuming it tests out consistently use it that way.

I am wondering if this is the best solution or if any of you have a better one.
lokigrac is offline Find More Posts by lokigrac
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:11 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokigrac View Post
I am a relative new pilot having just soloed a couple of years ago. I wanted to try using a gyro as described in Dec. 2010 MA article. So I bought an eFlite G110 gyro and I installed it in my Electistar using a Futaba 7C system with a R617FS receiver and the standard S3003 servos that came with my Electristar. I was using channel 4 for rudder and channel 5 to control the gain. Upon initially turning the system on the rudder servo travelled all to way to one end point and stayed there. Using the transmitter's gear switch I switched the gyro to standard mode but there was no effect on the servo and I could not control the rudder with the stick. I shut the receiver off and then on again and the problem persisted. After powering the receiver on and off a few times the rudder finally responded and I was able to trim the gain. But the next time I turned the system on the problem reappeared. I reduced the gain incrementally until I reached zero in both standard and HH mode but at no time did I have control of the rudder nor could I effect the gyro. I went through the possible problems as described in various articles including making sure the gyro was set for an analog servo and that my receiver battery was fully charged.

I decided there might be a problem with either the gain control wire or the signal pin on channel 5 of the receiver. So I decided I would use channel 7 instead of channel 5 to control the gain and I plugged my battery into channel 5. When I made this switch I noticed that while the J plug of the gyro's control wire seats all the way onto the receiver pins it fits loosely, meaning it wiggles. The gyro appears to work correctly after this change but I worry about that plug coming loose if I try to use it to fly. The only solution I can think of is to get a servo extension wire and plug it into the receiver and then attach the gyro control wire to it and tape the connection so it cannot come apart. Then I will switch back to channel 5 for the gain control and assuming it tests out consistently use it that way.

I am wondering if this is the best solution or if any of you have a better one.
Sounds like a logical solution. Instead of taping your connection I'd suggest using heat shrink tubing, the connectors will never come apart unexpectedly.
I have read of others using hot glue on the connector where it plugs into the receiver to keep it from coming unplugged. Personally I think the servo extension is the better solution.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:06 PM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
413 Posts
With Gy48V gyro ,When I unplug the gain control from the RX
I still have control of that servo with the TX. If the gyro is off when I unplug it stays off, if on in rate mode it stays on in rate mode.
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Gyro location

Saw this thread and want to put a gyro in my PZ Stinson as it's always windy here. I am planning on using a Detrum GY48V. It is square and I understand it being parrelel to the wing. Am I correct in that it also has to be parrelel with the fusalage in pitch. Also can I mount it outside the plane to make adjustments easier? Also do I have to have all trims and subtrims at 0, having trimmed mechanicly? Thanks, Dave / PS.. I think I can put it in the battery box, way better...
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Nov 02, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:35 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
The axis of rotation is a single line comming out perpendicular to the plane of the label. So point the label directly forward or directly rearward for Aileron Axis. An easy reference is to get the label facing forward with the top surface as parallel to the horizontal stab as you can get it visually. It does not have to be absolutely perfect. visually is fine in my experiance. Yes, you can have it on the outside. Just don't let it fall off!

For Rudder, face label up and have label surface parallel with horizontal stab.

I recommend you mechanically trim it out so that you have your trim and subtrim at near 0. In Rate mode, you can have some trim and it's ok on the GY48V
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:54 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a PZ Stinson and am going to install a gyro in it. For access to it and any adjustments I would like to put it on the bottom side of the wing in the fusalage. I know that would have it aligned with the wing, will that be good for the horizontal stab axis? Thanks, Dave
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:36 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Hey Guys, I have a PZ Stinson and am going to install a gyro in it. For access to it and any adjustments I would like to put it on the bottom side of the wing in the fusalage. I know that would have it aligned with the wing, will that be good for the horizontal stab axis? Thanks, Dave
Which axis are you stabilizing? Aileron(roll), Elevator(pitch), or Rudder (Yaw)?
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I want to stabilize ailerons. Anything I need to be aware of at first flight with gyro? I want it in rate, correct? Can I adjust gain from my DX6i? I ordered the Detrum GY48V this a.m. Will my gear switch turn it on and off? Not that I want it off. It all seems so simple it has me worried, LOL..Dave
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:45 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Invensense is a chip technology that rivals the older more expensive MEMS modules that the higher end gyros used to use. Well, I say used to use cause that's what they were using in new designs a few years ago. Everyone is switching to the Invensense because they are 99% as good and only a few $ in cost. Most of the 3 axis heli flybarless systems are going to them (BeastX, Align 3GX) because you can get up to 3 axis in 1 chip for only $4 a chip instead of $20 each for 3 chips. The gyro MFG still has to write good firmware for it (the big chip on the other side of the board). The Assan GA-250 uses the same chip. Pretty soon, only the low grade and micro plane/heli boards will have the Piezo and everything else newly designed will be the Invensense until someone copies their technology. Invensense sells LOTS of these to game console hand held controllers and on phones like the droids and iphones.
Thanks for the info Melnic, you really are the gyro guru!