SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
13 Posts
Discussion
Flightpower Eon vs Eon-X

Saw a post somewhere about new Flightpower Eon-x batteries
are these newer than "Eon"
does anyone have any idea about the difference between them ?
thanks
Allan
Seahawk82 is offline Find More Posts by Seahawk82
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:57 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Maybe there was a problem with the EON and now they bring out the EON-X. I know there are some EON batteries that where already discontinued some time ago. Reason?
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:02 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
I have been testing the EON-X for some time now, its quite a big uppgrade from EON and current Lipo batterys on the market today. The resone why they bring out EON-X now already is becas there have been production problem with the EON, to fix this and have full production we get EON-X, first out will be the 30C, and its much more powerfull than the EON33 for example and other 30-35c rated packs on the market, in fact the 25c EON-X is up with same power as todays 30-33c rated packs, testing in 3D heli a prototype version that is not even perfectly matched, it holds up to 3,75v/cell avg and other packs in same size and spec holds 3,5-3,6v/cell. Maby the most importand aspects of the EON-X will be the fast charge and sycle life even at high C loads.
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:48 PM
Glassy waters to all
California
Joined Jul 2006
49 Posts
Do you have a discharge chart?
UbHauled is offline Find More Posts by UbHauled
Last edited by UbHauled; Apr 24, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
What kind of fast charge rates are permitted? Is this another 5C charge rate cell? I want some 10C charges on LiPos! It'd be nice to apply 20A from the iCharger 208B on my 2200mAh cells to get a full charge from 80% depletion in ~6-7 minutes.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:21 PM
Glassy waters to all
California
Joined Jul 2006
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
What kind of fast charge rates are permitted? Is this another 5C charge rate cell? I want some 10C charges on LiPos! It'd be nice to apply 20A from the iCharger 208B on my 2200mAh cells to get a full charge from 80% depletion in ~6-7 minutes.

- David
That would be awesome David I am with you, BUT keep in mind that the higher the Charge rate, the shorter lipo life you'll have...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:31 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Not necessarily. New cells are claiming little to no impact on cycle life from high C charging. Time (not marketing) will tell. I often charge at 2-3C using quality cells and have experienced no impact on cycle life.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:40 PM
Glassy waters to all
California
Joined Jul 2006
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Not necessarily. New cells are claiming little to no impact on cycle life from high C charging. Time (not marketing) will tell. I often charge at 2-3C using quality cells and have experienced no impact on cycle life.
Hi David, Jan here...

how long have you charged them at this rate?
I wish I could remember where I read that it shortens cells life.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Hey Jan! I've been using 2C-3C on some test packs for ~1 1/2 years. I keep detailed logs and 1C charge other identical packs for a control sample. I've experienced no demonstrable effect on capacity charging at these rates and many others have reported similar results.

Note : this should only be done with newer high C rated packs (15C-40C cont. rated, manuf. in last 1-2 years) or those packs rated for such. And ONLY when using a quality charger with integrated balancing to allow for individual cell monitoring and charge current tapering to prevent cells from exceeding max. permissible voltage of 4.20V/cell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:03 PM
Glassy waters to all
California
Joined Jul 2006
49 Posts
Interesting, I am assuming that the packs are holding up voltage as well as the holding charge when sitting on the shelf, right?
Well, I'll try to find the article I've read and post a link or file here...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:14 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Oh yeah, no problems whatsoever with that. The only impact/risk I've heard associated with high charge rates is decreased cycle life, which I have not experienced.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:32 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Yes i have grafs and some data, but letts whait untill FlightPower makes these new cells official first.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Aight.

Are there any official info. releases from FP on the new EON-X line?

The Eon line has to be the shortest lived product line in battery history. How long were they available, ~2 months?

- David
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:33 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
No i dont think there are any official info of the EON-X yet, but there will be soon.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:57 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Quote:
I have been testing the EON-X for some time now, its quite a big uppgrade from EON and current Lipo batterys on the market today. The resone why they bring out EON-X now already is becas there have been production problem with the EON, to fix this and have full production we get EON-X, first out will be the 30C, and its much more powerfull than the EON33 for example and other 30-35c rated packs on the market, in fact the 25c EON-X is up with same power as todays 30-33c rated packs, testing in 3D heli a prototype version that is not even perfectly matched, it holds up to 3,75v/cell avg and other packs in same size and spec holds 3,5-3,6v/cell. Maby the most importand aspects of the EON-X will be the fast charge and sycle life even at high C loads.
Jocke, the problem with this information is that you are connected to FP and as seen in other threads you will say anything to let them look good. As indicated by others as well, only independent information will be believed.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Last edited by rebell; Apr 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM.