HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2008
124 Posts
Discussion
NEW Turnigy 2.4Ghz FHSS and DSSS - 9 channel radio under $80.00

NEW Turnigy 2.4Ghz FHSS and DSSS - 9 channel radio under $80.00
8 Channel 2.4 RX under $20.00.............

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/f...ts.asp?TID=284

Available in 2.4Ghz FHSS and DSSS
On sale in around 3 weeks.
Estimated Street Price: (About $79.95)
RoadKingAl is offline Find More Posts by RoadKingAl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
This was supposed to be on sale last Monday, April 13th, but was delayed due to a box printing error. I hope it isn't another three weeks before they are on the HK web site!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/f...&PID=4538#4538

HK is also going to offer the Turnigy 6 ch 2.4 GHz radio, with drivers for Windows Vista, at around the same time.

The nice thing is that the 4 ch, 6 ch, and the 9x (8 ch with 2.4 GHz module) all can use the same 6 channel $15 receivers.

So for those of you who have bought those inexpensive 4 ch and 6 ch transmitters, you should be able to upgrade to this transmitter and keep using your existing receivers.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Last edited by F-111 John; Apr 17, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
This was supposed to be on sale last Monday, April 13th, but was delayed due to a box printing error. I hope it isn't another three weeks before they are on the HK web site!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/f...&PID=4538#4538

HK is also going to offer the Turnigy 6 ch 2.4 GHz radio, with drivers for Windows Vista, at around the same time.

The nice thing is that the 4 ch, 6 ch, and the 9x (8 ch with 2.4 GHz module) all can use the same 6 channel $15 receivers.

So for those of you who have bought those inexpensive 4 ch and 6 ch transmitters, you should be able to upgrade to this transmitter and keep using your existing receivers.
Thanks John for the update;

Sweet, Should be a new world a big plus for both the New pilots, as well as our Seasoned Pro's.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
This is another version of the iMax 9X (Reviewed here) but I'm planning to review the HK version to see if they've made any significant changes.

If they haven't updated the manual (really bad Chinglish) then I'll post a far more readable version that I've written for the iMax, once I've got my hands on a set from HK.

Assuming no major changes from the iMax...

Pro's:
* Low cost
* 8-channels (9 in PCM mode on 35/72MHz)
* Nice feel for a budget radio
* Receivers include satellite unit
* Some of the programming is great

Con's:
* No failsafe when used with the 2.4GHz modules (only with PCM)
* Physical construction (of the iMax version) could have been better
* QC not up to scratch -- of three units purchased, only one was acceptable.
* Manual almost incomprehensible
* Relatively low power and unsophisticated RF sections
* Some of the programming is awful

However, in a year's worth of flying I've never had any issues with my iMax9X and it's my radio of choice for profile 3D flying (.46-1.00 sized engines)

If the factory has sorted out its lack of QC (the 4-channel does seem better) then this will be a good radio for small/medium electric/glow fliers. It's not a radio for jets or gasers though!

Note: I've also reviewed the HK 4-channel 2.4GHz system and shares the same basic RF systems.

A reminder that all the comments in respect to the 9-channel system assume that it is simply another OEM version of the FlySky 9-channel like the iMax. Until I get my hands on a Turnigy unit I won't be able to positively confirm that.

One of the first "hacks" worth trying on this set is to modify it to work with a 2S LiFePO4 or LiPo battery pack instead of the conventional 9.6V NiMH/NiCd one. Since the electronics work on a mix of 5V and 3.3V, there's little point in feeding this thing with twice the voltage it needs -- all that does is waste half your battery's capacity as heat.

In an FM/PCM radio, the extra voltage is useful to get adequate power from the transmitter module but in the 2.4GHz world, the vast majority of modules run on much lower voltages. If the 9X didn't also offer a 35/72MHz module they could have easily shifted to a 6.6-7.2V battery and provided twice the life per charge.

Clearly the Chinese need to think a bit harder about some of this stuff.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
116 Posts
would you guys recomend this as first radio cause the price just really grabs me?
4567 is offline Find More Posts by 4567
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
This is another version of the iMax 9X (Reviewed here) but I'm planning to review the HK version to see if they've made any significant changes.

If they haven't updated the manual (really bad Chinglish) then I'll post a far more readable version that I've written for the iMax, once I've got my hands on a set from HK.

Assuming no major changes from the iMax...

Pro's:
* Low cost
* 8-channels (9 in PCM mode on 35/72MHz)
* Nice feel for a budget radio
* Receivers include satellite unit
* Some of the programming is great

Con's:
* No failsafe when used with the 2.4GHz modules (only with PCM)
* Physical construction (of the iMax version) could have been better
* QC not up to scratch -- of three units purchased, only one was acceptable.
* Manual almost incomprehensible
* Relatively low power and unsophisticated RF sections
* Some of the programming is awful

However, in a year's worth of flying I've never had any issues with my iMax9X and it's my radio of choice for profile 3D flying (.46-1.00 sized engines)

If the factory has sorted out its lack of QC (the 4-channel does seem better) then this will be a good radio for small/medium electric/glow fliers. It's not a radio for jets or gasers though!

Note: I've also reviewed the HK 4-channel 2.4GHz system and shares the same basic RF systems.

A reminder that all the comments in respect to the 9-channel system assume that it is simply another OEM version of the FlySky 9-channel like the iMax. Until I get my hands on a Turnigy unit I won't be able to positively confirm that.

One of the first "hacks" worth trying on this set is to modify it to work with a 2S LiFePO4 or LiPo battery pack instead of the conventional 9.6V NiMH/NiCd one. Since the electronics work on a mix of 5V and 3.3V, there's little point in feeding this thing with twice the voltage it needs -- all that does is waste half your battery's capacity as heat.

In an FM/PCM radio, the extra voltage is useful to get adequate power from the transmitter module but in the 2.4GHz world, the vast majority of modules run on much lower voltages. If the 9X didn't also offer a 35/72MHz module they could have easily shifted to a 6.6-7.2V battery and provided twice the life per charge.

Clearly the Chinese need to think a bit harder about some of this stuff.
Thank You very Much for this update;

Great Information, Super Job. I will be following awaiting your final results.
Please keep us updated, seems like you will be the best in knowledge and information.

Many Thanks again;
Al
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Jul 2004
103 Posts
Once we buy at Servo 9 gram $ 20-30, today we buy at good Servo 3-4 $ (HXT900), that will happen with this transmitter.... and receiver costs $ 12 compared to other receiver(2.4ghz) cost $ 50-100.
dav12 is offline Find More Posts by dav12
Last edited by dav12; Apr 17, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
That is cheap. I'm guessing that this will not work with the likes of an ar500, ar6200, ar6100, etc? Do all 2.4 have the DSM2 builtin?

All of my planes have the ARxxxx Rx and I have 2 DX5e and 1 DX6i, so I'm probably sticking with them for now.

WOW $15 Rx!!!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
No, just like other 2.4GHz systems, the products from FlySky are only compatible with themselves.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:49 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
There in
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8992
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:22 AM
LAN
Sweden, Östergötland, Valdemarsvik
Joined Oct 2003
457 Posts
Interesting, it's sold without TX module and any JR-compatible module will fit (which would include Spektrum or Robbe FASST modules). If you add a Corona module + receiver, the total price is $120.
LAN is offline Find More Posts by LAN
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:48 AM
Electro Addict
Joined Aug 2007
71 Posts
I acn hardly wait for someone with some radio analyzing equipment will take this one under the scope. If it's a well designed and operating system, I would be a bit surprised, but very happy

One thing I could notice from the picture is that the use the el-cheapo PCB type, which say much to durability, but then again - no Tx should be dropped or get abused. Let's hope the software and radio specs are of better quality

pqt_bach is offline Find More Posts by pqt_bach
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined May 2007
596 Posts
was just looking at hobbycity. seems pretty interesting
airheli1201 is offline Find More Posts by airheli1201
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:04 PM
Conover, NC
Joined Jun 2005
126 Posts
If they are still in stock next Friday, I plan on ordering one with a Assan JR module (also going to get a Assan hack module for my 6102).
heffe2001 is offline Find More Posts by heffe2001
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
According to Jason at Hobby King, this will be sold bundled with the Turnigy 2.4 module for about $80 beginning some time next week. The Turnigy 2.4 module will be compatible with the same $15 Hobby King 6 channel receivers that are also compatible with the 4 and 6 channel Hobby King/Turnigy transmitters.

The real question is will there be an 8 channel version of the Turnigy 2.4 receiver available at some point in the future, or are you stuck with only 6 channels?

Update: The Radio and Turnigy module will be $85, and 8 channel receiver will be $20.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Last edited by F-111 John; Apr 24, 2009 at 02:16 PM.