HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:00 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Discussion
Fiberglass/Blue Foam Flying Wing Plans

Hi everybody,

This is the first time that I have posted to this board before and I was looking to find plans to build a delta wing style Sloper, like a fiberglass zagi or ritewing. I would also be interested in any exotic style sloper (eg. canard wing, etc), but I really like the inverted flying of the delta wings.

I just finished a fiberglass Jart and was looking to create a little milder sloper for the cliffs that are here in Northern California. The Jart is cool (thanks Reed) but I need something that I don't have to worry about killing me if I flyby too closely (dang PNFs). I am looking to build from plans, since I have been out of modeling for the last 10 years and with it I lost most of my knowledge of aerodynamics. So a scratch build is a little intimidating for me right now. I did notice that in one of my airfoil databases that two airfoils seemed to match the zagi profile, but somebody told me that I would have to cut a washout(?) to make it work. My foam cutting equipment at hand is, a pretty good rip off feather cut (eg. a board with some pulleys connect to it), and some various length homemade bows. I also have a pretty amazing vacuum setup so vacuum forming wings is preferable to me because I have finally gotten the hang of it. So far I have been using the blue dow foam at the local building supply store that comes in 1" or 2" thickness and it appears to work very well. Any ideas would be appreciated.
alexhaben is offline Find More Posts by alexhaben
Last edited by alexhaben; Apr 17, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Paul Jannsen (don't have a link) sells plans for a bunch of different home-brew lost-foam PSS planes, so you might find something interesting there, though they would probably take the same amount of lift the Jart does.

If you're getting good at cutting and bagging, why not build a composite DLG? A light lift sloper is never a bad idea.

Hey, what about a Toons? or a Madslide? They are very aerobatic VTPR ships. You could pretty easily cut and bag one. Stuff like that flies slower, and pretty much fly the same upright or inverted, which is fun. I have a CR Turbo with 8020 wings, and it's really fun to be able to just shift over to flying inverted with no change in performance.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Last edited by slopemeno; Apr 17, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...ga0wvEgdw5Y9G6
PLAN pl-843 cat. 5
Always liked this guy

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:18 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Thanks for the responses, not to sound stupid, but what is a DLG or for that matter a VTPR? The reason I really want a light sloper is that we have two cliffs here in Nor Cal that we fly on and it is pretty much consistently 5-10 mph, sometimes 20+ but not usually. I have been flying my zagi 3c on light days, but it has become a dog of a plane over the last year, so something a little more aerodynamic is wanted. . Oh yea if anybody knows of any FREE plans that would be preferable to me.
Last edited by alexhaben; Apr 17, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhaben
Thanks for the responses, not to sound stupid, but what is a DLG or for that matter a VTPR? The reason I really want a light sloper is that we have two cliffs here in Nor Cal that we fly on and it is pretty much consistently 5-10 mph, sometimes 20+ but not usually. I have been flying my zagi 3c on light days, but it has become a dog of a plane over the last year, so something a little more aerodynamic is wanted. . Oh yea if anybody knows of any FREE plans that would be preferable to me.

http://alain.zutter.free.fr/Ailes/index.html
DT56 is online now Find More Posts by DT56
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Sorry...Discus Launch Glider. You grab it by the wingtip and spin around and release, and you get some amazing launch heights.

VTPR..I can't recall what the French acronym was, but it means: aerobatics flown slow and close to the ground. The Madslide's plans are available, and would be an easy bagged-wing project. If you were to buy a moldie it would be the Wasabi (Soaringusa.com), or the bagged/molded Voltij (www.f3x.com),
or the gargantuan, not imported as far as I know "Toons"
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Toons goodness.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
WOW, I really like the look of all the planes. rcairnut, that stormfighter looks like a fun light wind kind of plane I might just have to invest the 15 dollars in the plans. slopemeno, those toons are just awesome looking and look like the next project after the light sloper to increase my fiberglass skills. Do you know any website that I can learn more about how to build them? Thanks DT56 for the french link I can't understand much of the language, but the pictures give me some good ideas. The modeling bug has hit me again I can't wait to start my next build. Is it just me or is building the planes sometimes more fun than flying them?

That mudslide is very Jartish in character, how does it fly compared to the Jart?
Last edited by alexhaben; Apr 18, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhaben
WOW, I really like the look of all the planes. rcairnut, that stormfighter looks like a fun light wind kind of plane I might just have to invest the 15 dollars in the plans. slopemeno, those toons are just awesome looking and look like the next project after the light sloper to increase my fiberglass skills. Do you know any website that I can learn more about how to build them? Thanks DT56 for the french link I can't understand much of the language, but the pictures give me some good ideas. The modeling bug has hit me again I can't wait to start my next build. Is it just me or is building the planes sometimes more fun than flying them?
That mudslide is very Jartish in character, how does it fly compared to the Jart?
The folks flying only ARF's are really missing out on a great part of the hobby.

(I can't speak French either, but the site does provide dimensions for building the models)
DT56 is online now Find More Posts by DT56
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Um.....

We have more than just 2 cliffs around here

Building planes is all part of the experience, and something we can do when its raining too hard to surf, fish or kayak!

Nice to see some Humboldt guys showing up on the Forums!

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Hi Steelhead, what cliffs do you fly at? So far the only worthwhile cliff that seems to be in the right direction for the coastal breeze (SW) is at table bluff. Since I live in south eureka I rarely go north too much because of the gas and the flaky wind conditions north of Arcata. Sometimes the wind can be good at big lagoon and the north end of macville but usually not.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:54 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
DT56, I agree wholeheartedly ARF seems like a boring idea to me, too bad DIY'ers are becoming fewer and fewer. Remember the good old days when radio shack was a haven for parts, not the sad A/V cable store it has become.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Give yourself credit for building a Jart. In my opinion the best part of the whole Jart experience is the scratch building, as the skills you learn pay a lifetime of benefits.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement slopemeno, true the Jart was a fun project to start on after not modeling for many years. When I used to model a lot, years ago I was mainly a balsa man; balsa and cyano, balsa and dope, balsa and epoxy, etc. The jart threw me out of any perceptible level of comfort with new and strange materials, blue foam, fiberglass, thin laminate templates, lots of epoxy, etc. But all the knowledge that I learned from the jart experience has allowed me to expand the learned skills to other realms (Right now I am contemplating a fiberglass speaker box and fixing the damage to my vehicle and that doesn't even phase me (No body shop fees for me). The composite world is amazing and even though I was pretty good at balsa, I think all my new projects are going to me mainly composite based (what can I say I just love the smell of epoxy in the morning). Now if I could only afford some carbon fiber, but s glass is pretty cool too.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Don't you guys have a Tap Plastics in Eureka? It's not always the cheapest but talk about convenient...it's right on my way home, and they pretty much have everything I need.

If you ever make it down this way bring your Jart. We'll take you to some slopes that'll blow your socks off. That spot Reed launches from in "Rip the Lip" for starters...