HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:16 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboz
Very nice looking so cool to see new plans for planes...

Cool lines! Have you thought about making the fuse a little fatter? (Sorry if I mised it ) I'm just a fan of fatter fuses for DS planes; durability, ballast, strength, wider at the joins.
The fuse is 4 inches wide at the wing. I agree about making it fat. I want to increase the fuse diameter at the tail, but I am going to finish the VStab first so I can blend it all together.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza
Very nice. Great thread.

What software are you using?

Eric
Inventor
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,229 Posts
Cad drawings are fun to play with,,I'll be waiting for the build thread before I get too excited about it,,have fun ,,fly fast.

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Awesome. I've been trying to get aircraft design sorted out in Inventor myself... care to elaborate on the processes you used to create the fuselage / wing?
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:07 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosta
Awesome. I've been trying to get aircraft design sorted out in Inventor myself... care to elaborate on the processes you used to create the fuselage / wing?
Trial and error. If you can visualize what you want to draw, all you need to do is convert that creative inspiration into a mathematical representation. Inventor has lightly documented ambiguities that you need to work out as you go along or you will get hung up.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I know that you have commented that your nose is long, but it isn't. It is actually pretty short. Take the time to add a few more inches to you nose length. I have yet to see a plane with too long a nose, but have seen many where there isnt enough room for lead to ballance the heavy tail. This is 10X more important on a DS plane with a heavy boom and tail.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,858 Posts
Also, you could possibly shorten the tail boom a little; from my understanding, the amount you raise the tail above the wings is added to the tail moment....

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
I know that you have commented that your nose is long, but it isn't. It is actually pretty short. Take the time to add a few more inches to you nose length. I have yet to see a plane with too long a nose, but have seen many where there isnt enough room for lead to ballance the heavy tail. This is 10X more important on a DS plane with a heavy boom and tail.
Agreed. The current nose is 20 inches long. That is at least 6 inches longer than many planes with 120-130 inch spans. A Pike Giant has 15" nose and 2" fuse diameter and 130" span. The Daisy Cutter has a 20" nose, 4" fuse and 110" span for comparison. The long nose is for ballast considerations. I would prefer to have structural weight than dead weight stuffed in a short nose.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Also, you could possibly shorten the tail boom a little; from my understanding, the amount you raise the tail above the wings is added to the tail moment....

T
In my haste to lay out the tail profile I had in mind, the total length of the plane grew by 3 1/4". I could just make the wingspan longer. I want a wider root wing chord for strength and Reynolds# but a decent taper at the tips to so the plane will be more yaw stable. The wider wing chord commands more HStab area, so it is a tradeoff. The elevator cannot be too small or it won't be up to task in a heavy DS plane. For a thermal plane, this baby would suck. For DS, she will rock.

Now I just need to decide between silkspan or monokote Just kidding of course!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:48 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Minor tweeks

Minor tweeks: shortened the fuse to allow for vstab rake; reduced area of hstab and refined outline slightly; slight change to vstab outline. thin spot in fusealage at front of stabilizer is 2 3/8"
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:24 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Lots-o-progress

Increased the wingspan to 75 feet, here is the almost completed fuselage
Old May 11, 2009, 01:07 AM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Update

Ordering cores this week for prototype. Not having a plane to fly sure helps motivate one to build.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:35 PM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Prototype #1

Here is the wing planform and section for the first bagged prototype.

I am calling this the "Ghetto Blaster" because it is not the planform nor the section the Daisy Cutter will use. It will use the fuse and stab of the Daisy Cutter, though. I need a strong and easy-to-build bagged wing so I had to modify the planform substantially to that end.

This particular wing will have a straight spar as viewed from above. The center panel is flat without dihedral. There will be polyhedral at the outboard panels. Wingtips will be handshaped (ugh) unless I spring for cnc-cut wood ones. I am considering removable tips with outboard ballast tubes.

The Ghetto Blaster will be a proof-of-concept for the fuselage layout and will allow me to make the call on whether or not to increase the Daisy Cutter's wingspan to 132" and root chord to 12". This is to be a 1-piece wing.

Cores will be ready in 2 weeks.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:00 AM
Get your build on!
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
Larger variant

Here is sketch of the potential 132" span. Going with the 110 for now.