Added some paint...
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Looks like it would make a great F3F wing planform; plenty of chord in the tips, you should be able to pull really hard on it! I'm sure that's the plan, anyway....

Good luck with the design.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:46 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Looks like it would make a great F3F wing planform; plenty of chord in the tips, you should be able to pull really hard on it! I'm sure that's the plan, anyway....

Good luck with the design.

Target
I plan to reduce the forward sweep in the T.E. and shooting for 1000 square inches even. Nothing like nice round numbers. I may need to thicken the foil or widen the chord on the outboard panels to fit normal servos. If any of you airfoil/tailfoil wizards have any suggestions on a spankin' foil in your library, I am open to suggestions.

Meanwhile, I am working on a fuselage shape. I want keep the tailboom round in cross-section for torsional rigidity, but may have to ovalize it in front of the V-Stab to have enough girth to handle tail-slaps on hard landings. Here is an image of the latest revision:
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
I would take a hard look at the foils that Dirk Pflug designed specifically for DS...after flying my Ceres for F3F for a while with one of his foils, I am a 100% believer.
I forgot his RC groups handle, but do a search and drop him a line to see if he has anything new. They are very similar to what JW designed that was used on the Dynamic, very fat, so servos will fit.

Good luck,
Target
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
A few people have been working on DS-specific foils. The classic airfoils work for DS but DS specific ones designed for very high speeds and g-forces seem few and far between. I will check into what Dirk has going on. If all else fails, I will have to go with an old standard foil for a bagged prototype, but this whole exercise would be a waste to build another plane with a foil whose limits are known backwards and forwards already. Thanks again Target.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:35 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Wing and fuse, with color. Going to start on the tail feathers in the next few days to have a basic layout to start massaging.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:49 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance
I plan to reduce the forward sweep in the T.E. ......
Why do you plan on reducing the forward sweep? The forward sweep can improve control while landing, and delay stalling. There is a only a small destabilizing effect that can be overcome with a little dihedral.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:03 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Pflug

Here you go....

Target
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:09 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks
Why do you plan on reducing the forward sweep? The forward sweep can improve control while landing, and delay stalling. There is a only a small destabilizing effect that can be overcome with a little dihedral.

Adam
The current sweep is extreme. I modelled the wing with a straight T.E. and an extremely swept one figuring I would settle somewhere in the middle. My main motivation for adjusting it again would be to increase the chord length towards the outboard panels and hence the thickness at the outboard servo bays, and to possibly increase the visibility of the wing at speed due to being wider overall. I intend to settle on an airfoil before I do anything since I am concerned with fitting radio equipment and foil/thickness will be a factor. I will post any changes I make. They can always be revised again.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:14 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Sweet
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:51 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
There are a couple JM foils you could try. JM3, JM6 or even the JM26 that I use on my big plane. Mr. Wurts made a few different ones when we started the D-160 project. They might be good for your reynolds #'s.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
There are a couple JM foils you could try. JM3, JM6 or even the JM26 that I use on my big plane. Mr. Wurts made a few different ones when we started the D-160 project. They might be good for your reynolds #'s.
Thank you Joe.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Progress on the basic planform...
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:20 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Very nice looking so cool to see new plans for planes...

Cool lines! Have you thought about making the fuse a little fatter? (Sorry if I mised it ) I'm just a fan of fatter fuses for DS planes; durability, ballast, strength, wider at the joins.
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:48 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,066 Posts
Very nice. Great thread.

What software are you using?

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza