Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:35 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Fuse Templates

Printed out and glued my patterns for the fuse template. I will be making a single template with 2 sides. One side is the bottom/side profile and the other side will have the top profile with the wing saddle.

It was getting dark so the image didn't come out very well:
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:57 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Fuse Plug Progress

I finished my fuselage template and layed out the plug. The side profile cut is complete and will be sanded out tomorrow. Then I will do the top profile cut and sand that out. From there, it will be a lot of hand shaping. Since this plug is not turned, I will be shaping an extended wing fillet into the plug. If my 3D CAD skills were better, I could visualize the fillet and post a pdf of it.

Attached are progress photos showing the technique I am using for the plug. So far, everything is going smoothly. Because I predrilled jig/alignment holes on the plug before cutting it, it will be able to easily reassemble it for for the next cuts and hold the bones on for easy sanding on the edge sander. The PDF file is the design of the fuselage with the slightly shorter tail moment, slightly more vertical fin and slight longer nose.
Last edited by Aerogance; Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Looks like things are starting to get exciting! This part is when you can start seeing the fruits of your labor!! Good luck Aaron, and Ill be tuned in to see the model as progresses. Looks awesome so far. jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
715 Posts
Thats a simple clever jig you're using to have the bandsaw follow the templates, Aero.
I also like the idea of using the predrilled holes through the blank to realign the off cuts for cutting the top view.
This will certainly be different - good luck with it.
John
OZPAF is online now Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi View Post
Looks like things are starting to get exciting! This part is when you can start seeing the fruits of your labor!! Good luck Aaron, and Ill be tuned in to see the model as progresses. Looks awesome so far. jimmi
No doubt, Jimmi. And the SA's kicking in today really has me amped to git-r-done!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:32 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZPAF View Post
Thats a simple clever jig you're using to have the bandsaw follow the templates, Aero.
I also like the idea of using the predrilled holes through the blank to realign the off cuts for cutting the top view.
This will certainly be different - good luck with it.
John
The jig works like a charm, and I just needed to use a 4x24 belt sander to clean it up, it was that close to final. As for the holes, they can be filled with bondo or something after the plug is finished being shaped. Thanks for all your encouragement during this (lengthy) project!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:41 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Startin' to look like an airplane...

I finished cutting out the plug today and started rough shaping it. I should be able to finish shaping it tomorrow if my schedule allows. Ironically, the turned plug is due to arrive tomorrow per UPS tracking. I will make all my mistakes on the hand-shaped plug so I don't wreck the nice turned one

Some progress photos:
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
An early Christmas...

A box showed up today. Guess what was inside... The turned fuselage plug! It looks absolutely perfect. The precision turned plug puts my hand-carved one to shame. This thing looks absolutely gorgeous. It is made from very old growth Sequoia and has incredible color (see photos).I am jazzed about receiving the turned plug. It will certainly make for a much more professional looking finished product.

I also did some more work on the carved plug. I actually found another fantastic use for my aging multimaster: carve-sanding. A friend of mine who builds stairs used to borrow the multimaster to blend volutes whenever he could and always raved about how well it worked. I always thought that the sanding function was lame and slow. But for sanding and shaping a carved part, it is the best method I have ever tried.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:30 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Carved Plug Completed

I completed carving the fuselage plug today. I needed my small spoke shave to work the wing fillet extensions and after a lot of searching found the little spoke shave this afternoon. It made short work of the fillet transitions. Next step is to fill screw holes, dings and tear-out and do one more final sand before sealing.

I also took the tail off the DC60 foamie and mocked up the wing and tail. She looks really good and very beefy. The 3 1/4" wide fuselage fills the entire hand, but allows for plenty of grip.

I will be shortening the nose slightly to decrease the pointiness. Currenty the nose is 1/8" radius, but I plan to sand it to about a 1/4" radius for durability. I also need to splooge the wing bed and build up splooge fillets at the wing. In addition, I need to make a new vertical and blend it to the fuselage.

I took some photos:
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:34 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Wing Fillet and Primer

I made the wing fillet yesterday and got the first primer coats on the fuselage plug. The fillet and plug need filler and final sanding before being completed (and the tail needs to get bagged and installed too).

To make the fillet, I used 2-sided foam tape to mount the wing plug to the fuse plug and then mixed up a thick batch of epoxy with phonelic microspheres. I used a tongue depresser to get the radius on the fillet and then heaped the mixture at the leading and trailing edges to form the front and rear wing fairings. I used remaining mixture to fill screw holes in the plug.

To shape the fairings, I used an automotive body file, motorguard EVA block with 60 grit, then cleaned it up with 80 grit. The wing fillet was left as is and will be filled/color sanded after priming. The fairing and the maple plug have some nicks and scratches that will get filled with automotive acrylic-based putty after priming.

The primer I use is a 1-part automotive filler/primer that sticks tenaciously to wood and seals the wood while drying to the touch in about 2 minutes. I layed on 2 coats, did a quick sand with 220 grit to knock down any fuzz, then hit it again with another 2 coats of primer. The reason I primed the fuse plug before it was completely tuned in and filled is because the dull grey primer makes it easier to spot defects. Putty and sanding will take care of all the remaining issues.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:23 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,353 Posts
Looking good!
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:44 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Wing mounting platform

I filled in the wing platform area with splooge and then filled nearly all the defects in the fuse surface finish. Next I need to make and graft a vertical stabilizer onto the tail boom. I am finished handling the fuselage for now until the tail is ready. She looks like a Navy jet in the grey color! If I throw a few insignias on there, who would know any better
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:06 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Vertical Tail Experiment

I played around with the v-stab dimensions and made a quick core to mock up the tail. I am going to go with the previous design as it is larger. Some photos:
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:27 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Quickee Update:

New fin core has been cut and fit to the fuse. Mylars are cut and waxed, awaiting primer. All glass is cut and set aside. I should be able to get it in the bag tomorrow evening.