SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:01 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Guillows Spitfire/ Close ground Carnage

Ive been slacking on my building projects and after reading a few good threads on Guillows conversions.I finally got motivated to finally build the Guillows Spitfire. almost had photographic evidence of Carnage. But fortunetly I was able to snatch the plane away from the plane eating dog with a history of catching frisbees and slowflyers yikes!! Specs. are:
2 GWS pico servos. R/E
GWS 280 direct drive motor with a gunther prop.
Covered with Doculam with the exception of the top of the wing which is Nelsons lite film painted with Krylon olive drab.
Stringers replaced with 1/16 inch basswood
Extra 1/2 inch Dipthedrial on each wing
Battery either 370 & or 8 cell ninh or a 2 1020 Kokams.
Overall weight with 8 cell battery is exactly 9 oz.
Hopefully Ill have the finishing touches like decals done this week and if the weather is good first test flight by next weekend. Whether she flies or not Ill find out. Worse comes to worse it was a good building excercise considering the parts were die crushed.
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:19 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Nice work. Come and get me!
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:45 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
You better watch out DW Im just passing over the Tapenzee Bridge
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:50 PM
Hoppers Crossing Vic. Australia
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Dogfight?

Hmm You may have missunderstood the term Dogfight?

I have two dogs and forever have a haunting thought of what my aircraft would look like if the develop a taste. One of them is 40kg and capable of jumping onto tables, he also eats anything.

Your spit looks nice and light.

Benny
BennyLaird is offline Find More Posts by BennyLaird
Old May 01, 2003, 05:00 AM
Boise Gowen Fld, Idaho, United States
Joined Feb 2003
618 Posts
I just bought the Guillows Spitfire and am going to try a conversion.
My last experience with a Guillows kit was 20+ yrs ago and I am pretty new to building anything other than GWS kits.
I am looking forward to see how your Spitfire flys.
fixwingagain is offline Find More Posts by fixwingagain
Old May 01, 2003, 07:44 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D W

DW, how does the Stuka fly? I must have missed the maiden report.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old May 01, 2003, 12:39 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Fix I hadnt had a chance to fly my Spitifre yet hopefully next weekend, I also have the Guillows DR-1 that I got to try out. Yikes its going to be a rather stressfull day when I take them two birds out.
Old May 01, 2003, 03:44 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D W
Did you forget to pull elevator up on that stuka
Its a bit too low I think, hehe

nice looking plane though

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old May 01, 2003, 04:54 PM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Hey Rays89 ,

Sounds like you built your Spit similar to the way I made my ME109, basswood and doculam, you will find this combo to be very strong... I have nosed mine into asphalt already, aborting the flight before it flew into a parked car and she came out unscathed ...

Only thing I think you're going to find is that the GWS 280 might be alittle heavy for the wing surface area we have with these Guillows kits... you might want to do a switch up and try a GWS IPS motor first... believe me, the IPS has enough power to fly these guillows conversions... my ME109 cuts through the wind so fast that I find myself throttling down all the time.. I couldn't imagine trying to control her with a heavy 280 motor in it ! I'm used to flying high-wing aircraft, so this WWII conversion plane moves pretty quick in comparison.

My Guillows ME109 with GWS IPS motor, lithium battery, weighs in at 7 ounces and really moves.... I just finished a Guillows FolkWulf 190 too, also weighing in at 7 ounces ... haven't tested her outside yet but she promises to be a good flyer too....

Other tips I can give.... I had to put my throws on minimum, was amazed at how much the little rudder really turns the plane...
Also, I had to give her alittle up-trim on the elevator for level flight... be careful if you launch her with a heavy 280 motor, she'll be fast, quite a handful I'd imagine ! Don't forget to put washout in the tips!!

Guess my German conversion fighters are going to have to fly cover for DW so he doesn't end up shot down in a field again.. LOL
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old May 01, 2003, 05:35 PM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Guillows size comparison

Hey guys

Thought you might find this interesting.... I bought these two Guillows kits at the same time, the ME109 and the FockWulf 190...Now, by looking at the writing on the boxes I thought that the Me109 was going to be the smaller plane... well, guess what ?
The Me109 actually came out alittle bigger, quite a bit longer then the FW190 ! The Me109 's fuse is alot more narrow, harder to get the electronics into, but balances well and flies well..the FW190 is a wider fuse, easy to put the servos in side-by-side.... there's less fuse in front of the FW190's wing, so I had to shove as much weight forward as I could, and am still hoping that she isn't tail heavy... again, I hope to test fly the FW190 real soon to see if she flies as well as the ME109... both kits were enjoyable to build
edit : forgot to mention... the Me109 is on the left
FW 190 on the right
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Last edited by Feodosia Flyer; May 01, 2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 01, 2003, 07:03 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Feodosia
My plane seemed to come out a little more porkyer than yours being at 9 oz. I know I have an IPS S-2 sitting around I can try that. I can lose a little weight there and I also had to put 1/2 once of weight in the front to get the proper CG. But I figure I can correct that by redoing the battery mount and placing the battery farther forwards. Maybe use a couple of kokams instead. I do like the lines of the Me109 that might be my next kit or Ill might just be lazy and wait for the GWS ME109 to come out. As for DW's Stuka one of these days I gotta build one of them. I had the Cox Stuka hanging from my ceiling when I was a kid.