SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:50 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,641 Posts
Discussion
Andraeson BA4-B

After many years of threatening to draw up this neat little biplane, I'm finally getting to it.
I have the Peck plan, and the 3 view, but would like to know the dimensions of the original, and as much info as I can find out. I've tried searching the net but all roads seem to lead back to the Peck model. Anyone have any more useful info on the type?
I think maybe 1/4 scale would be good for this one, but that, of course, rather depends on the size of the original. At that size, a better 3 view would be a big help too. Otherwise, it may just have to be my usual 36" sort of size.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:13 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
After many years of threatening to draw up this neat little biplane, I'm finally getting to it.
I have the Peck plan, and the 3 view, but would like to know the dimensions of the original, and as much info as I can find out. I've tried searching the net but all roads seem to lead back to the Peck model. Anyone have any more useful info on the type?
I think maybe 1/4 scale would be good for this one, but that, of course, rather depends on the size of the original. At that size, a better 3 view would be a big help too. Otherwise, it may just have to be my usual 36" sort of size.

Pete
Pete,

I found this link: http://web.telia.com/~u38106414/SFFF/BA-4.htm though it appears to be in Dutch/Swedish(?), I believe the dimensions are mentioned just before the photo. Not completely sure, but this may be for the "4" not the "4B." Again, I don't know if there was any difference in dimensia (hehe!). From this clip from the site: Lite siffror - spännvidd: 5 m, längd: 4,6 m, I'm reading a span of 5m and length of 4.6m.

BTW, I found this by searching with "Andreasson" (two s's, not one) BA-4B.

Another link, with pic and performance specs, is: http://www.pilotmix.com/index.php?pg...en&maxInfo=226 Oh, this link also mentions the BA-4B is the "homebuilt version of the BA-4."

I also note the plethora of links to the Peck model!

James

P.S. The BA-7 is also a neat airplane, thought maybe not "Rakey" enough? According to Wikipedia, it is now manufactured commercially by both Malmö and Bolkow. Still would make a neat model...
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:59 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,224 Posts
Wikipedia (grain of salt)

Wikipedia claims the following:

Specifications (Crosby-built BA-4B)

General characteristics
  • Crew: one pilot
  • Length: 4.67 m (15 ft 4 in)
  • Wingspan: 5.64 m (18 ft 6 in)
  • Empty weight: 295 kg (650 lb)
  • Gross weight: 460 kg (1,014 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Continental O-200, 75 kW (100 hp)
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 240 km/h (150 mph)
  • Range: 523 km (325 miles)
  • Rate of climb: 6.1 m/s (1,200 ft/min)
References
Quote:

Pete
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:10 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,224 Posts
Also found...

Janes http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-...4B-Sweden.html

Also http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...BA-4B&offset=0

More photos here (including a good instrument panel shot): http://indooraero.homeunix.net/andreasson_fs.shtml

Quote:

Pete
Old Apr 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,641 Posts
Okay guys, I admit it, I am an idiot. Remember me saying that I had the plan and 3 view from the Peck kit? I guess I was seeing but not taking in the 3 view. There, quite clearly, for all with eyes even halfway open, are the span and length, printed on the 3 view.
However, and I suppose this is always a possibility with homebuilt types, the Peck dimensions are somewhat smaller than those anyone else seems to quote. They show a span of 17' 7" and length of 15'. Equally however, the photos I've found do definitely show a different tip shape on some variants. Therefore, I'll assume that the dimensions I have are correct for this variant. Afterall, 'proof of scale' with inaccurate measurments is pretty useless.

Since it was the ellegant simplicity (Rakeyness?) of the Peck model that attracted me to the type, that is the version I'll draw up. Slightly more angular than some, and with ailerons on the lower wings only, it just cries out to be built.
Now we come to the nitty gritty decisions - size, power and construction. Although I was talking about the possibility of a 1/4 scale model, that puts the span at 52.75". Nicely manageable as a one-piece model, but with a fuselage some 45" long and on the chunky side, somewhat less easily manageable. Also, of course, powering a model of that size is somewhat more costly than, for example, a 1/5 scale version at a mere 42.2" span. So, since I fully expect to be seeking volunteers to build the prototype, it would be nice to hear what you have to say about size and power set-up. To my mind, 1/5 better suits free plan format, but I probably won't be building the model. So, while I write this month's FSM column, I'll hand things over to you guys.

Pete
Old Apr 16, 2009, 03:48 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,641 Posts
Hoffboy,
You are a saint. I just checked your Jane's link and the dimensions match exactly. You can't get better confirmation than Jane's. Many thanks.

Pete
Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:09 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
200-300W is about right. So size it for something like a 2500mAh 3s pack.

Any brushless around 1000kv that will do 25A-30A is probably good.

Not sure we haven't got something coming from china..TYurnigy 3536 or maybe 3548 for full vertical

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=7075

that's the sort of thing to use, cheap but good. 10-12" prop.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,224 Posts
Glances side to side...takes one step forward.

Quote:
So, since I fully expect to be seeking volunteers to build the prototype, it would be nice to hear what you have to say about size and power set-up.
If no better qualified volunteers step forward, I'd be honored to have a go at the prototype. I have a scratch bipe coming off the build board in the next few weeks (build thread forthcoming) and would welcome the chance to start on another. My aforementioned bipe in progress has a top wing span of 39" and will most likely haul around a 3S LiPo in the 2100mAh range, which seems to translate into easily transportable planes.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:38 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,641 Posts
Hoffboy,
Does that mean you'd actually like a model of less than 1/5 scale? If so, I'm quite happy to draw one up at around 36" span. 1/6 scale comes out at around 35.2". My only concern is that, at that size, I'd like to make it simpler and possibly just rudder, elevator and throttle control. Not as aerobatic as some models you have been building, but ideally suited to a non film finish. Let me know if you're interested and we can discuss what's involved.

Skyking has already claimed the 1/5 scale model so that's the one I'll draw up first. After the stunning job he did on the little SPAD, I'm looking forward to seeing what he makes of this one.

Pete
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:39 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,633 Posts
Hey Pete! Go back to your micro stuff!

We were just getting caught up with all the ones you had sent us for kitting and now you start a drawing 'boom' again. Heck, it'll be years before we catch up at this rate.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,641 Posts
Nope, I'm having too much fun not having to count each decimal point of a gram. Besides, I think you need an 18" SE5A to go with that little EIII. By some strange coincidence........

Pete
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:21 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Nope, I'm having too much fun not having to count each decimal point of a gram. Besides, I think you need an 18" SE5A to go with that little EIII. By some strange coincidence........

Pete
I think you ought to publish an anthology of your plans for those of us who live in small apartments and can't find room for all the magazines, let alone planes.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:26 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,633 Posts
So, another full run model eh? Se5's and EIII's. Pick your size.

Pete S. If Peter published the entire list we'd just get that many more requests for cuts of old drawings.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:35 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,518 Posts
Always liked the registration/colour scheme on this particular one

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:24 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
So, another full run model eh? Se5's and EIII's. Pick your size.

Pete S. If Peter published the entire list we'd just get that many more requests for cuts of old drawings.

charlie
Many of them from me, even though I don't have room to build right now.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying