SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:06 PM
Bill Cartwright
Biloxi MS
Joined Feb 2001
47 Posts
new computer=no game port

I just purchased a new computer and it has no game port, Have Serial, Paralell, USB and Firewire. What Can I do to be able to use my flight sim controller? It is a Dave Brown system.
rcnut65 is offline Find More Posts by rcnut65
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2003, 03:34 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
New computers nowadays don't really cater to flight sim controllers. It is assumed that you use USB for gaming ports.
What you may have to do is to find a 15 pin to 9 pin adapter or,
get an older audio card that has a 15 pin game port (also called a midi port) on it and use it. Generally, alot of boards have audio built into them but they will have a 15 pin port in the back.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Mar 30, 2003, 06:10 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and spend $10 on a USB to Game Adapter cable. That's what I did.
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Mar 31, 2003, 06:12 PM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
OR, if now you've got an onbord AC '97 sound processor, shell out a few bucks and buy an old Sound Blaster Live! Audio card. It'll have the joystick port on it. Probably this is the best bet.
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old Mar 31, 2003, 06:48 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Yup, look for a sound card. They usually have the game port on them, because game controllers are still being made with that type of connector.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Apr 01, 2003, 02:49 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Hi,

My work PC is in the same position - sound port but no game port so I got the USB-JSIM from www.rc-electronics.co.uk which turns your Transmitter into a multi-axis joystick as far as any PC software is concerened. I've found this works for all the R/C sims I have (FMS, PreFlight, CMBE, Aerofly, Piccofly). Also lets you use things like MS FS2002 and other "games" via the Tx!

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2 Posts
This is my first post here. My new mb has sound onboard. It also has a 15 pin game port. I need a f game plug and a cable with the small f jacks to the mb. The kind that the power switch etc on the case use. This plug is on most new mb. Any one know were to get one? Got to this site looking for one. Onboard sound runs much better then a pci sound card imho. The cable could be made but buying one would save alot of time and work.
RCSpin is offline Find More Posts by RCSpin
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:38 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
I've never seen an f plug, unless you are talking about the 2-pin connectors that the power switch/led lead type, and those can be had easily at RS. Not sure what you are talking about, but I think the easiest would be to get one of the usb adaptors for your regular tx. Unless you are able to find the adaptor you are looking for, you might have to make one yourself. The game port is almost being phased out, although they are still being made on game controllers. USB allows for digital, and I'm pretty sure that the game port is analog only. Also, you mention pci doesn't work as good as onboard, it does if it's a better sound processor. I have 6 channel built-in on mine, so wouldn't move to a pci, but if all there is on yours is ac97 (2ch) any other card would perform better. Sorry I can't help much.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
you can buy game port to usb adapters

Matt
littleport2003 is offline Find More Posts by littleport2003
Old Dec 01, 2005, 01:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2 Posts
sorry Todd f = female and yes that is the type of plug I'm talking about.
Keith
RCSpin is offline Find More Posts by RCSpin
Old Dec 01, 2005, 09:20 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnut65
I just purchased a new computer and it has no game port, Have Serial, Paralell, USB and Firewire. What Can I do to be able to use my flight sim controller? It is a Dave Brown system.
ou

RC, I just went outand purchased a Serial to USB. From $10 to $20 bucks depending on what you get. Mine is three way in that it will handle joystick, Steering wheel and heck I can remember. Look around and you can find them at Radio Shack, Frys Electric, Best Buy etc.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad