HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2003, 01:02 PM
Longview, Washington, USA
Joined Sep 2000
91 Posts
Slightly Confused: Triton and Li-Po Charging

I see in the Triton manual that it states Li-Po batteries should be charged at 3.6 volts per cell. I saw a post here that said it should be set @ 3.7 volt per cell to get a full charge of 4.2 volts per cell. Which is right?

It also seems very confusing that you set charger @ 3.6 - 3.7 volts per cell to get 4.1 Ė 4.2 volts at the end!!! I can see how people pouch batteries if they are not very careful and set the parameters properly. As part of the Tritonís menu I donít see why they did not ask for number of cells instead of voltage when setting Li-Po charge.

Thanks in advance

John
J R Purcell is offline Find More Posts by J R Purcell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:30 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
For Li-Ion use the 3.6 setting. For Lipolys use the 3.7 setting.
I've been using the Tritons for a few weeks now quite a bit, and despite the lacking manual I'm getting pretty familiar with it.
All in all it's a solid charger, and it's well protected from high and low voltage inputs. I tried using a 24 volt input, forgetting what the manual said was the max voltage input, and the charger was nice enough to let me know the input voltage was incorrect.

As far as the difference between the 3.6 and the 3.7 setting, I don't think there's much of a difference.
I use my small Wes Technik lithium chargers, which charge at 3.6 volts per cell, and when I put the Lipoly on the Triton to top it off, it shows full charge in about a minute or so. I guess this shows there's really not a lot of difference between the two settings.
This is for a 1020 Lipoly pack.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy