SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
I didnt think James had mentioned a beefier joiner, just a beefy Typhoon which to me would suggest a stronger lay up. As for DS lite, what Waz put would be right. Good for moderate speeds and lots of fun but its not designed to be a 300mph plane.

I am sure we will find out the specs soon.
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:53 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Any video yet dude?
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
198 Posts
Yes, I maybe wanted to hear "beefy joiner", but right it is said only beefy Typhoon.

But a more beefy airframe would that add to the better for DS'ing?

As you guys and other has pointed out at this forum, it is joiner that is the limit on the Typhoon it seems.

I think this video attached here shows it clearly:

劉主任 DS Typhoon 1 (1 min 4 sec)

While picking up speed, you can see a more specific dihedral becoming appearant on the main wing section.

This will not be different on a more beefy Typhoon airframe, that is my opinion, only a reinforced wing joiner would help this to occur higher up in the speed scale.
krvedaa is online now Find More Posts by krvedaa
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:24 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Nice vid krvedaa.

Yes I agree, its pointless strengthening the airframe without upgrading to a larger and stronger joiner as well.

Waz
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
198 Posts
Note! This is not a video of me or made by me. I picked it from youtube.

This is from some of our asian compadres loving flying the Typhoon.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hambone the Impaler
Taiwan
Joined Nov 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
Nice vid krvedaa.

Yes I agree, its pointless strengthening the airframe without upgrading to a larger and stronger joiner as well.

Waz
To end all the speculation here...

It has a completely new 32mm x 14mm solid carbon wing joiner that can of course be replaced by a 1.3M long metal bar through the wings...it also has a bolt on tailplane...

Come on guys...do you seriously think I would just make a heavier version knowing as well as I do the limitations - whatever they are - of the present airframe?

Oh ye of little faith!

Hambone the wiser than you think...
Hambonetw is offline Find More Posts by Hambonetw
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
Joined Sep 2007
198 Posts
We believe now, that you shown whom the Father of the Typhoon is!

Shame on us!! This is good news. But never meant the Father were lacking wisdom!!

Regarding the SST joiner, could this be made for the "old thin" version?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:59 AM
Midwest
Joined Jul 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjameswhit View Post
Many thanks for the wing area - am sure that fourth decimal place is critical!

Anyway, have now managed to work out that the wing loading of my glass 'phoon is 13.8 oz/sq ft unballasted, and 20.6 ballasted.
You're welcome, Peter...

Units & decimals: A mm in 1 order of magnitude smaller than an inch, so a sq-mm is 2 orders smaller than a sq-in; likewise, a sq-ft is 2 orders of magnitude larger than a sq-in.

Therefore, if the sq-mm has no decimal places, the sq-in should have 2, and the sq-ft should have 4. There you go!
chaush is offline Find More Posts by chaush
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonetw View Post

It has a completely new 32mm x 14mm solid carbon wing joiner that can of course be replaced by a 1.3M long metal bar through the wings...it also has a bolt on tailplane...

Come on guys...do you seriously think I would just make a heavier version knowing as well as I do the limitations - whatever they are - of the present airframe?

Oh ye of little faith!

Sounds very promising James. The replacement 1.3m metal bar through the wings sounds interesting.....sort of a 'span loading' joiner I guess. Great idea!

Assuming the wing dimensions are going to be the same, a heavier layup will mean even less room for servos so raised servo covers would be required.

If I was to comment on what are the current limitations (other than the joiner) of the standard carbon Typhoon regarding DSing, it would be the very thin section that it uses which makes it harder to make the wings strong, and the narrow boom which makes it difficult to prevent fuse flex. Lastly the flying tailplane is not as strong as a fixed one, but it sounds like thats already being looked at.

This is by no means criticism, as the Typhoon is a beautfiul plane as it is, and it certainly does what it was designed to do, and well (its my new favourite plane!). It wasnt designed for DS, but with the right enhancements, it could make a fantastic intermediate DS plane capable of doing speeds of up to 200mph.

We look forward to seeing what you come up with James.

Waz
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:14 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,464 Posts
I love my Typhoon for what it is--a strong and nimble frontside weapon, as fast and agile as the any of them. It's versatile, with a surprising light wind capacity, yet fleet and speedy when the wind and the weight is up. This plane has a huge fun factor which is truly hard to measure, and that makes it one of my favorite go-to planes for a little rippin' and flippin' and spinnin'.

Plus, it's gotta be one of the best values in the 2M moldie market--Superior quality at an affordable price. I like the concept.
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Feb 20, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
Midwest
Joined Jul 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Furcolow View Post
I love my Typhoon for what it is--a strong and nimble frontside weapon, as fast and agile as the any of them. It's versatile, with a surprising light wind capacity, yet fleet and speedy when the wind and the weight is up. This plane has a huge fun factor which is truly hard to measure, and that makes it one of my favorite go-to planes for a little rippin' and flippin' and spinnin'.

Plus, it's gotta be one of the best values in the 2M moldie market--Superior quality at an affordable price. I like the concept.
Yeah! Where else can you get a 2M Carbon beauty for $499!

http://avianautica.com/default.aspx
chaush is offline Find More Posts by chaush
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Furcolow View Post

I couldnt agree more!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,219 Posts
Forgive my ignorance again. I see the carbon weave in the wing but where is it in the fuselage?

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:50 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
The fuse is carbon from behind the inner nose piece (servo tray) join all the way to the tail.

Waz
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:38 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonetw View Post

Oh ye of little faith!

can we have a solid wing joiner for the existing typhoon?

I use my current one as a colander if I can't find the one in the kitchen. It's a bit x-modelly tbh (i.e bendy).
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet