HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:33 AM
Great Lake State
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
Discussion
Eagle 63 Float Plane

I've got the subject un-built kit (probably from the 70's or 80's) that was given to me around 15 years ago. I'm planning on making a float plane out of it and have a couple weeks into the building now. I'll show pictures soon. I've reduced the dihedral in the wings to even less than the "A" configuration. It will have roughly 8" flaps in board of the ailerons which will take up the rest of the trailing edge (except an inch & a half or so at the wingtips, which will be solid trailing edge). I've built 2 servo trays into each wing. It'll have an O.S. 46 AX on it. I've got the Great Planes .40 size floats kit (need to build from pieces). I fashioned some custom wing tips from balsa structure so I can cover them as opposed to those plastic tips that come with the kit as I've heard they're hard to keep on. I'm bolting the wing on with (4) 1/4-20 nylon bolts (that's where I am right now, constructing my mounting scheme). All major components are basically roughed out. Has anyone made one of these Eagles into a float plane, does it fly okay? Any pictures to show me? Advice?

Thanks.
nnonname is offline Find More Posts by nnonname
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Not the Eagle 63, but the GP floats ... toss the plywood bottom pieces and use balsa with 3/4 fiberglass ... saves a LOT of weight!
PJ
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Pictures??
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:40 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
I've flown CG Eagle 40's on OS .40s, but only from the ground. With the .46, I bet it will work pretty good with the floats.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
Dothan, AL
Joined Mar 2003
216 Posts
That looks like the Eaglet 50 box. Never even heard of the Eagle 63. I built one back in 91 as my very first radio control model and still have it. I've not tried floats or anything, but the OS.25 FP pulls it around the sky with plenty of authority. Good mod on your balsa wingtips. The plastic ones are crap. My plastic tips have never come off, but the low temp covering has all kinds of nasty bubbles in it. It's sort of fast (heavy plywood) for a first trainer (compared to my Kadet Senior) but it doesn't have any bad handling traits. Looking forward to seeing the results.
RollingR6 is offline Find More Posts by RollingR6
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:56 PM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2009
206 Posts
Eagle float plane

I did that a couple of years ago, used GeeBee floats. With a Magnun .46 it flew great. I think I had more fun flying it off of snow then I ever did on water! I think the added flaps are a great idea, I used one servo per wing and set it up as a flaperon and that helped. I have one picture of it but the file is two big, I will try to email it to you.
Good luck!
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingR6
That looks like the Eaglet 50 box. Never even heard of the Eagle 63. I built one back in 91 as my very first radio control model and still have it. I've not tried floats or anything, but the OS.25 FP pulls it around the sky with plenty of authority. Good mod on your balsa wingtips. The plastic ones are crap. My plastic tips have never come off, but the low temp covering has all kinds of nasty bubbles in it. It's sort of fast (heavy plywood) for a first trainer (compared to my Kadet Senior) but it doesn't have any bad handling traits. Looking forward to seeing the results.
The boxes of the Eaglet and the Eagle look very similar and both models were very nice trainers in their day. Carl Goldberg and his crew designed the Eaglet about 1980 -- I know because we corresponded extensively on trainer design, I sent him my Canada Goose design and he used my basic dimensions almost exactly (though his structure was quite different). The Eagle came a year or so later. Carl sent me kits for both models to test and I found them to be easy to build and good for training.

I always intended to convert the Eagle to floats with an OS40 but never did. It should make an excellent flier with the right floats.

The Eaglet with an OS25 might be a bit on the fast side (we generally used OS 15 or 20), but the Eagle should be reasonably light. OS46 is more than enough power.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:22 PM
Great Lake State
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
I've made a little progress in the last few days. The Main servo tray is in place. I pinned the cross-supports through the fuse wall with 1/8" dowels. Hope that holds, hard to get epoxy down those holes, or at least feel good that it got down there when you push the dowels in. The trays are all constructed of basswood. Should that be sufficient for mounting servos?
Tonight I made the fuel tank carriage and the battery/receiver tray. The latter was almost a total failure, it conflicts with my throttle pushrod and must be re-engineered. The fuel tank carriage, after some rasping, seems to drop in nicely and should provide a good anchor point for the tank. (Should be careful mentioning 'anchor' when I'm describing a floatplane) ) haha.
It's becoming clear that I may not be able to situate the wing mounting apparutus on the top of the fuse until I get the side windows in. Which means
maybe not until the fuse sides are mono-coated. Also, all these interior trays needed to be placed first so I wasn't fighting stuff in my way.
More to follow, as time allows.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
The servo mounting rails look fine to me. If the wood is a bit soft you can always harden it up a bit with thin CA. The dowels are a nice touch, but probably overkill.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:23 PM
Great Lake State
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
I have a few more pictures here before my camera batteries failed. The fuel tank carriage is in place. Now the 10 oz Sullivan tank can be velcro-ed in place. The pic is a little deceiving, there are actually two rails at the bottom. The battery & receiver platform are amidship and the servo mounting tray (3 abreast) can be seen in the rear. You can see how I had to move the front float strut mount quite aways forward, up against the windshield former. I determined this location by using some of the float-kit pieces and assuming my CG will be close to the plane's plan. This should put the "step" of the float very near the CG. The rear float strut mounting base can be seen through the 3 abreast servo tray on the bottom of the fuse. (it's base actually straddles the former just behind the tray). The base seen by the tray is an added block I put in for for more secure mounting. The rear strut doesn't "key" in place, but rather mounts merely to the bottom of the fuse with hump-type straps, so I want to use a little longer screws to mount these straps. The wing bolting scheme is now all epoxied in place, drilled, tapped, & doweled. 1/4" dia. dowels locate the wing to the mounting plates. 1/8" dowels were used in securing the mounting base to the fuselage and epoxied through the sidewalls. The last picture shows the wing temporarily mounted to the fuse. Wingtip measurements from each tip back to the tail center are within 1/16" of each other, and to fuselage sides are also within 1/16" of each other for an honest attempt at symmetry. This photo also shows some stand-offs I made to support the sheating around the 4 mounting bolt holes. I fashioned them from some CPVC plumbing couplers cut on an angle. Medium CA adheres CPVC & balsa very securely and does not melt this plastic. You can barely see just behind the spar some framework and an opening in the bottom of the wing where the aileron & flap servo leads will pass into the fuselage. I would estimate at least 40 hours into this build now. This stuff takes a lot longer than one might think.