HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:02 AM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Anyone use Gus Morfis plans

I've got an urge to build up one of my gus morfis plans but am used to working with foam. All my plans come with the foam wing cores so the wings will build quick...that just leaves the fuse{s}. From the looks of it, all the fuses are sheeted...a process I'm not familiar with. How do you sheet the fuse correctly...where does one start and finish? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2003, 01:11 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Use light wood!

I finished off a Bugatti from Gus's plans. Gus doesn't necessarily build what he's drawn, so occasionally you need to be a little inventive. The Bugatti construction was based on a crutch, which is contructed over the plans. The top or bottom half of formers are added, along with some stringers- then the bottom/top half formers are added, along with stringers. Add the stringers alternating side to side i.e. top left stringer, top right stringer, or if possible add both, make sure everything is jigged, add CA.

Planning sheeting- Flat sections are easy, and should be sheeted first. When doing the sides- you should be gluing both simultaneously. Occasionally wetting the wood, use masking tape, pins, clothespins- whatever, to get stuff in place, then glue- or use Titebond- something which gives you setup time. Use flexible wood, and odds are you want it to be pretty light. Often a trick is to go thicker than you think you need, but very lightweight so it sands easily, and bends easily. Remember, a 3/32 inch piece of 6 lb/cu ft. wood weighs the same as a 1/16" piece of 9 lb/cu ft.

If you've got a major change in angle, don't be afraid to add some stringers- I found my Bugatti needed some half formers and extra stringers in the tail.

Don't be afraid to plank either- a very steeply curved surface is much easier to deal with planked than sheeted. Planking involves taking 1/4" (occasionally wider) wide pieces, and beveling the edges so they lie flush with their neighbors. It's time consuming, but not that hard. Use ambroid for the plank/plank joints- you can use CA or Titebond for the plank to former joints. If you don't use Ambroid or some type of modeling cement, you'll be a very unhappy camper- nothing sands easier.

Planking is lighter than block, but probably a bit heavier than sheeting. Again, use soft, light wood for planking with some extra thickness. Only use block when you've got steep, short curves, like a nose to deal with.

Have fun,

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe