SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ty_horn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Discussion
Brushless Mini Super Cub

I went with the Blue Wonder motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
It will pull the Mini SC straight up forever with an 8 x 4 prop, but it will also fly for about 16 minutes at half throttle or less with a 460 mAh 3 cell lipo.
I used HS-55 servos. I put tires from the Original Super Cub on mine so the prop didn't hit the ground when landing. What a fun plane.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:53 AM
RIP THE BRING!
Rhode Island
Joined May 2004
880 Posts
got a video of the mini cub with the brushless for comparison? how does it handle wind now?
devilscries is offline Find More Posts by devilscries
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Nice work!! Which Blue Wonder did you go with?

Thanks for sharing your pics. Your installation looks very tidy and it sounds like the performance is excellent.

My buddy's HZMSC just went up in smoke yesterday when he plugged the battery in! It was shocking (no pun intended)... the electronics are toast but the airframe is okay so I'm going to convert it over for him.

I'm using a 2500kv cheapy Emax motor and 2s... thinking the stock prop should do and some 4g servos...
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:24 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
sorry, no video but it handles wind much better now because it has the power and a little extra weight to push through it!

Smoke,
the motor that I used it linked in the first post. The only thing that I wish I could do is add ailerons. I have tried and tried... they just don't work on this type of wing I guess.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:34 PM
New York
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
I'm a new flyer who wants to build a brushless mini super cub as a trainer for use with a new dsm2 radio. I'm hoping Ty or someone with experience can help me specify parts.

Does anyone know what comes in the fuselage Ch X versus Bare Fuse?:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...per_cub_parts/

What is the plan for purchasing plane parts and installing servos? What size is the battery box for an 11.1v battery for use with the Blue Wonder motor?

How do you pick the prop size on headsuprc?

These are my initial questions if anyone would offer feedback, thanks.
SystemTheory is offline Find More Posts by SystemTheory
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
29 Posts
what kind of servo and esc did you use?
Plane15 is offline Find More Posts by Plane15
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:05 PM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
Moding the MSC is a good idea. We need a small plane that performs kind of like a real rc plane (unlike the sukoi or 51 which are in a class by themselves). I'm going to try Horn's ideas with the 2712. Right now just trying to figure out how to put the angle in the prop.
The MSC was a great idea but the electronics are straight out of a box of crackerjacks
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:17 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I love your MSC! Im going to be doing something similar here over the next couple weeks as I get the parts.
Have you ever ran that motor on a 2C lipo? I have the stock 300mah and a bigger 900mah (still 2C) I would like to use. Im not looking for a ton of speed but I would like it to be faster then stock.

What do you think?
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Oh yeah, 2 cells work great. That is all my neighbor runs in his. Still has tons of power!