HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Discussion
More progress on the big old Slow Poke!

Finally got back on this one. Im trying to have it done before a local fun fly on Sat. Gonna be tough! With work, trips to Memphis and all, its gonna be tough. Anyway, its getting there.

Power will be a big Venom V50/400 outrunner, a 13x6.5 prop with a CC Ph 60 and CC BEC on 6S 5000mah lipos. Yeah, thats waaaay overkill, but with over 1000 sq in of wing, it will do fine Im sure.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2009
8 Posts
Converting my Saber to electric

I like the plane you are building, it will be worth the work! I have a similar project I want to tackle. I have an older, but perfect condition, Dodgson Design Saber Sailplane I want to turn into an electric. I don't have any experience building an electric and I have been out of the hobby for many years. I need help sizing motors and picking gear. How do I determine the motor size and type, speed control, prop size, battery? Is there any specific mounting information - angles etc?? I appreciate any help and advice.

Todd S.
Todd S. is offline Find More Posts by Todd S.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:01 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks Todd. Basically the power system for your plane depends on what type of plane it is, what type of flying you want to do, and the wieght of the plane. Those things will give us a good start on a power system for ya. Me and many others around here will be happy to help you figure it all out. E power is the way to go these days. Clean, powerful, quiet and efficient.

Laine.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2009
8 Posts
Electric conversion

Sounds good. I am in Los Angeles this week and home this weekend. I don't have the plane details with me. Not sure how to get the weight, I'll have to bring home a scale from work and weigh it. It's a Bob Dodgson Design Saber Sailplane. Ailerons, flaps on the the wings, horizontal stab and rudder. It's a fast plane with about 10' of wing. I will be thermal flying and only need the motor to "get it up", and fast! I know the newer planes are much lighter but this plane use to fly great and should still be flying! I am a little concerned about the covering. I used what I think was called coverrite, or somthing like that. It's a polyester type material I applied like monacoat (spelling??). Its very strong but I always have to hit it with a heat gun to remove the wrinkles before I fly. Recovering adds a lot of work, but it may be worth it. I can take photos of it and send them to you when I get home. What other details do we need to pull together?

I also have the Airtronics Vision radio. Batteries are dead, but back in the day it was a nice radio. I can get a new six channel for a few hundred bucks, but if I can find new batteries, maybe this one will work for a while? Not sure how much a battery is, or if I should just make one up, or just suck it up and get a new radio. My radio is already programmed for the plane, money is one thing and programming a new radio is another bit of fun!!

Thanks again for the help. Do you prefer e-mail or talking on the phone?

Todd
Todd S. is offline Find More Posts by Todd S.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Im sure we can get it all fixed up for you Todd. Feel free to give me a call. I'll PM my phone number to you. I will be in Memphis for a day or two, but of course, I'll have my phone with me.

Laine.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,110 Posts
Nice colors Laine. I bet your Slo Poke will really fly great with your set up. Are you going to get it ready for SEFF or are you going to wait longer.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thank you, thank you. Im trying to have it flying by Saturday! We have a local fun fly that I would like to have it at. As long as it survives, yup, it will be at SEFF along with a bunch more planes (including the SRT/10)

Laine.