Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Discussion
Right-wing extremists in the United States

As noted hereabouts:

Quote:
MIAMI (Reuters) - Right-wing extremists in the United States are gaining new recruits by exploiting fears about the economy and the election of the first black U.S. president, the Department of Homeland Security warned in a report to law enforcement officials.

The April 7 report, which Reuters and other news media obtained on Tuesday, said such fears were driving a resurgence in "recruitment and radicalization activity" by white supremacist groups, antigovernment extremists and militia movements. It did not identify any by name.

DHS had no specific information about pending violence and said threats had so far been "largely rhetorical."

But it warned that home foreclosures, unemployment and other consequences of the economic recession "could create a fertile recruiting environment for right-wing extremists."

"To the extent that these factors persist, right-wing extremism is likely to grow in strength," DHS said.

The report warned that military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with combat skills could be recruitment targets, especially those having trouble finding jobs or fitting back into civilian society.

The department "is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to boost their violent capabilities," the report said.

DHS spokeswoman Sara Kuban said on Tuesday the report was one of an ongoing series of threat assessments aimed at "a greater understanding of violent radicalization in the U.S." Continued...
http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopN...53D5SH20090414
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:36 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Ah, the vague fog of the article is about as focused as a fart.

This piece does show off the typical left view that individuals are shallow and simple things that groups can "recruit". Such as those weak willed, uneducated soldiers returning from service. A victim can be found just about anywhere if you are left leaning enough.

I certainly hope the damage Obama is doing to our economy and individual rights does get some people moving right though.

-steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Apr 15, 2009, 04:40 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
This piece does show off the typical left view that individuals are shallow and simple things that groups can "recruit". Such as those weak willed, uneducated soldiers returning from service. A victim can be found just about anywhere if you are left leaning enough.
Your attempt at sarcasm concerning your describing the soldiers as uneducated and weak willed are your words. The description from DHS used the word attempt, as in attempt to recruit. A soldier would be a coup for these groups which evidently you don't believe exist, to have in their war chest. Is it such a stretch that firstly, they would attempt to recruit and secondly that a returning vet might get disillusioned from many factors that have proven to be problems for combat vets in our society?
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Ah...
<snip>
-steve

Ah, the vague fart of the post is about as focused as fog.

This piece does show off the typical right view that individuals are shallow and simple things that groups can "recruit". Such as those weak willed, uneducated soldiers returning from service. A victim can be found just about anywhere if you are right leaning enough.

I certainly hope the damage BushCheneyRove has done to our economy and individual rights does get some people moving correctly though.

--b
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Yeah, those darn rightwing nutjobs... yelling and screaming, breaking property and throwing stuff, shutting down the ability of others to talk...

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=6761633

Oh wait, they are 'right' wing...
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Sidebar: Another conservative prevented from completing a presentation by protesters. A not-uncommon occurrence in our institutes of "higher learning".
Quote:
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- There are two questions following a rowdy student protest at UNC Chapel Hill Tuesday night.

Did the protest get out of line and did campus police go too far?

Dozens of protesters turned out to oppose a speech given by a former Colorado congressman, who was on campus to speak against illegal immigration.

Tom Tancredo didn't make it through his talk. In fact, he left campus early after protesters interrupted his speech and broke a window.

Protesters who weren't allowed into the room where the speech was being given gathered outside the door and chanted, "There's no debate, no space for hate."
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
I found it a little humorous that the champions of free speech kept someone with a different view from speaking. And this does seem to be a pretty common trait for them. Oh well, if the left does it, it is O.K.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:47 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Yesterday, Roger Hedgecock and the Liberty Papers posted an unclassified DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis report titled:

Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.

The “report” was one of the most embarrassingly shoddy pieces of propaganda I’d ever read out of DHS. I couldn’t believe it was real.

I spent the day chasing down DHS spokespeople, who have been tied up preparing for a very important homeland security event later today: The First Lady is coming to visit their Washington office. Priorities, you know.

Well, the press office got back to me and verified that the document is indeed for real.

They were very defensive — preemptively so — in asserting that it was not a politicized document and that DHS had done reports on “leftwing extremism” in the past. I have covered DHS for many years and am quite familiar with past assessments they and the FBI have done on animal rights terrorists and environmental terrorists. But those past reports have always been very specific in identifying the exact groups, causes, and targets of domestic terrorism, i.e., the ALF, ELF, and Stop Huntingdon wackos who have engaged in physical harassment, arson, vandalism, and worse against pharmaceutical companies, farms, labs, and university researchers.

By contrast, the piece of crap report issued on April 7 is a sweeping indictment of conservatives. And the intent is clear. As the two spokespeople I talked with on the phone today made clear: They both pinpointed the recent “economic downturn” and the “general state of the economy” for stoking “rightwing extremism.” One of the spokespeople said he was told that the report has been in the works for a year. My b.s. detector went off the chart, and yours will, too, if you read through the entire report — which asserts with no evidence that an unquantified “resurgence in rightwing extremist recruitment and radicalizations activity” is due to home foreclosures, job losses, and…the historical presidential election.

In Obama land, there are no coincidences. It is no coincidence that this report echoes Tea Party-bashing left-wing blogs (check this one out comparing the Tea Party movement to the Weather Underground!) and demonizes the very Americans who will be protesting in the thousands on Wednesday for the nationwide Tax Day Tea Party.

From the report, p.2:

Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

From the report. p. 3:

Rightwing extremists are harnessing this historical election as a recruitment tool. Many rightwing extremists are antagonistic toward the new presidential administration and its perceived stance on a range of issues, including immigration and citizenship, the expansion of social programs to minorities, and restrictions on firearms ownership and use. Rightwing extremists are increasingly galvanized by these concerns and leverage them as drivers for recruitment. From the 2008 election timeframe to the present, rightwing extremists have capitalized on related racial and political prejudices in expanded propaganda campaigns, thereby reaching out to a wider audience of potential sympathizers.

Exploiting Economic Downturn

Rightwing extremist chatter on the Internet continues to focus on the economy, the perceived loss of U.S. jobs in the manufacturing and construction sectors, and home foreclosures. Anti-Semitic extremists attribute these losses to a deliberate conspiracy conducted by a cabal of Jewish “financial elites.” These “accusatory” tactics are employed to draw new recruits into rightwing extremist groups and further radicalize those already subscribing to extremist beliefs. DHS/I&A assesses this trend is likely to accelerate if the economy is perceived to worsen.
From the report, p. 5:

Over the past five years, various rightwing extremists, including militias and white supremacists, have adopted the immigration issue as a call to action, rallying point,
and recruiting tool. Debates over appropriate immigration levels and enforcement policy generally fall within the realm of protected political speech under the First Amendment, but in some cases, anti-immigration or strident pro-enforcement fervor has been directed against specific groups and has the potential to turn violent.
And echoing the anti-military bigotry last seen in that disgusting Penn State University training video, there’s this on p. 7:

Disgruntled Military Veterans

DHS/I&A assesses that rightwing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat. These skills and knowledge have the potential to boost the capabilities of extremists—including lone wolves or small terrorist cells—to carry out violence. The willingness of a small percentage of military personnel to join extremist groups during the 1990s because they were disgruntled, disillusioned, or suffering from the psychological effects of war is being replicated today.
There’s no hackneyed left-wing stereotype of conservatives left behind in this DHS intelligence and analysis assessment. I asked both DHS spokespeople to tell me who, specifically, the report was accusing of “rightwing extremist chatter” and which “antigovernment” groups are being monitored as “extremists.” They say they’ll get back to me.

In the meantime, be aware of this from the report, p. 8:

DHS/I&A will be working with its state and local partners over the next several months to ascertain with greater regional specificity the rise in rightwing extremist activity in the United States, with a particular emphasis on the political, economic, and social factors that drive rightwing extremist radicalization.

Better make a few last-minute signs for the Tea Party. Obama’s DHS is watching:

Honk if you’re a radicalized rightwing extremist!

Guilty of rightwing extremist chatter

Anti-government, pro-freedom: Sue me
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast
I found it a little humorous that the champions of free speech kept someone with a different view from speaking. And this does seem to be a pretty common trait for them. Oh well, if the left does it, it is O.K.
Almost unanimous trait for them

The first words of the original post begin with the most incorrect statement of it all: They are not recruits. These are people with values joining out of their own accord.

Now which group, left or right, manages to get more recruits based on "recruiting", versus people joining of their own accord?
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast
Along those lines the OP, not long ago, got zinged three points for Obnoxious Reporting. Trying to silence someone were we?
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
Sidebar: Another conservative prevented from completing a presentation by protesters. A not-uncommon occurrence in our institutes of "higher learning".
"higher learning" = brain washing
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Extremist groups are enlisting in the military to get training:

Quote:
The racist skinhead logged on with exciting news: He'd just enlisted in the United States Army.

"Sieg Heil, I will do us proud," he wrote. It was a June 3 post to AryanWear Forum 14, a neo-Nazi online forum to which "Sobibor's SS," who identified himself as a skinhead living in Plantersville, Ala., had belonged since early 2004. (Sobibor was a Nazi death camp in Poland during World War II).

About a month after he announced his enlistment, Sobibor's SS bragged in another post to Forum 14 that he'd specifically requested and been assigned to MOS, or Military Occupational Specialty, 98D.

MOS98D soldiers are in high demand right now. That's because they're specially trained in disarming Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), the infamous roadside bombs that are killing and maiming so many U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Presumably, part of learning how to disarm an IED is learning how one is made.

"I have my own reasons for wanting this training but in fear of the government tracing me and me loosing [sic] my clearance I can't share them here," Sobibor's SS informed his fellow neo-Nazis.

One of his earlier posts indicated his reasons serve a darker purpose than defending America: "Once all the Jews are gone the world will start fixing itself."

more:

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=971
Link to the FBI report mentioned in the article in pdf form:

http://nazisinthemilitary.com/wp-con...personnel2.pdf
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Carnage in Pittsburgh: Deadliest Extremist Attack on Police Officers Since Oklahoma City

Posted By Sonia Scherr On April 6, 2009 @ 5:12 pm In Editor's Pick, Extremist Crime | 26 Comments

More law enforcement officers were killed in Saturday’s shooting rampage in Pennsylvania than in any other single violent incident perpetrated by a domestic political extremist since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

Three Pittsburgh police officers were fatally shot when they responded to a domestic dispute at the home of the alleged killer, Richard Poplawski, who had [1] posted numerous racist and anti-Semitic messages on the white supremacist website Stormfront and elsewhere. A fourth was wounded in the hand. The last time more than two police officers were murdered by a far-right extremist was in Oklahoma City, when five officers died in the attack that killed a total of 168 people, according to Mark Pitcavage, director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League.

In the 14 years since that bombing — which remains the worst act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history — 25 law enforcement officers have lost their lives to white supremacist violence. “We all know that white supremacists lash out violently against people of other races and religions and sexual orientations,” Pitcavage told Hatewatch. “We often forget that they also strike out against the people trying to protect us all. Sometimes spontaneously, sometimes planned, they regularly target law enforcement officers across the country.”

The officers who died in Pittsburgh were Paul Sciullo III, 37, Stephen Mayhle, 29, and Eric Kelly, 41. Sciullo and Mayhle were ambushed when they arrived at the house where Poplawski lived with his mother. Kelly was shot when he responded to help.

The Intelligence Report [2] profiled the 15 officers killed by extremists between 1997 and 2004. With help from Pitcavage, Hatewatch compiled a list, presented here in reverse chronological order, of the seven law enforcement officers who died between 2005 and the tragedy in Pittsburgh:

• Hillsborough County, Fla., Sheriff’s Sgt. Ron Harrison, 55, on Aug. 15, 2007, by a white supremacist.

• Bastrop, La., Police Detective Sgt. John Smith, 40, on Aug. 10, 2007, by a member of the racist prison gang Aryan Circle.

• Bastrop, La., Police Detective Sgt. Charles “Chuck” Wilson, 34, on Aug. 10, 2007, by a member of the racist prison gang Aryan Circle.

• Utah Department of Corrections Officer Stephen Anderson, 60, on June 25, 2007, by a Utah State Prison inmate with ties to the Aryan Brotherhood and other white supremacist prison gangs.

• Moscow, Idaho, Police Officer Lee Newbill, 48, on May 19, 2007, by a member of the neo-Nazi Aryan Nations.

• Gassville, Ark., Police Officer James W. Sell, 63, on Feb. 4, 2006, by a neo-Nazi who also attacked two people at a gay bar.

• Fort Worth, Texas, Police Officer Henry “Hank” Nava Jr., 39, on Dec. 1, 2005, after being shot by a member of the Aryan Brotherhood prison gang.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2009/0...oklahoma-city/
Profiles of the 15 officers killed between '97 and '04 at this link
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:43 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
That looks like a remarkably high number, except that it isn't. 15 died in 2007 alone due to being hit by cars.
Quote:
Of the 81 traffic deaths this year, 60 officers died in car crashes, 15 were hit by cars and six died in motorcycle crashes.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:48 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Extremist groups are enlisting in the military to get training:

Link to the FBI report mentioned in the article in pdf form:

http://nazisinthemilitary.com/wp-con...personnel2.pdf
Google "gangs in military", the issue is more widespread than right wingers, yet remarkably no other "extremist groups" were mentioned in the DHS report.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E