SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Discussion
First post in five years!

Well I've been here nearly five years now and not posted anything in my blog spot so I thought I should do something!

Originally from London my parents settled in Oxfordshire (where you can smell the countryside!).

My dad and his younger brother were both keen modellers, RC was 'smoke and mirrors' to them though. 'Uncle Bob' had a double wardrobe stacked full of kits (mostly the KeilKraft scale range) and used to give me one every time we went back to London, like Christmas to me.

My dad liked to design and fly ambitious subjects, probably the most ambitious was a 1/12 scale Avro Lancaster for free flight that appeared briefly at Old Warden in the early 1970s. Only flew once as I remember, big wing over after take off and damaged but not too badly. It still survives and is kept locally.

Dad was a National Service engine fitter with the RAF about the time of the Berlin Airlift and worked on Avro York's, Ansons etc. I followed him in to the RAF, working on jets through the last stages of the Cold War and retired after 23 years service in 2002.

In my time in the RAF I took up full size gliding and eventually became a full category instructor and tug pilot, my last posting was at the RAFGSA Centre teaching Army, Navy and RAF personnel to glide. I don't instruct now due to work committments but I might get back to it.

I currently work for Brawn GP (formerly Honda F1 Racing) in the wind tunnel, knowing not much about F1 I apparently got the job because I knew the difference between static and dynamic pressure! Been there three years now.

I got involved in a Tiger Moth syndicate a few years ago, it's a very rewarding experience flying and maintaining a 65 year old aircraft, it can be a pain at times but the magical moments are worth it.

Work, life and the family budget often comes second to messing around with model aircraft, I must admit that I probably enjoy building more than flying. I have a loft full of models that have flown but I don't want to fly them again just in case they crash due to operator error!

Better post some photos.

Gary
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Oct 07, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:19 AM
aka - DaveW
UK, Hall Green, Birmingham
Joined Aug 2007
48 Posts
Go Brawn GP! Nice job you boys are doing, Jensen has got the widest smile in motorsport.

P.S. Your models look great.
Methusala is offline Find More Posts by Methusala
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:31 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Thanks, we had a 'dark' couple of years and a very hard uncertain winter but the work seems to have paid off. I can tell you that Jenson is not very smiley at 6 o'clock in the morning!

GB
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie