SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hot glue can fix ANYTHING :)
Western Ky
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Discussion
Printable Airplane Plans

This thread is where people can either tell some websites that have free printable airplane plans or if they have some scan them in and share them with every one.
beginnerRC-ist is offline Find More Posts by beginnerRC-ist
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:30 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Check out the 4th thread down in this forum called 'Useful Links For Modellers' - lots of free plan websites already listed, as well as a load of other good stuff for scale modelling.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:40 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,649 Posts
Just be sure the plans you scan in are not copyrighted. For example, if you have a Guillows kit do not scan in the plans and distribute them. It is not ethical and may not be legal. Even 'free' plans from magazines are not yours to distribute. They are not really free. The magazine has included them as part of the purchase price of the magazine.

If the person who owns the rights to the plans agrees to share, then that is fine. Like our distribution of the Peter Rake 24" EIII. We paid for the design and decided to share it with whoever wants it. All you have to do is go to the web site and download it.

'The Free Plan' page is the most commonly referred to site. But, I contacted the person who runs it and he did not obtain permission for posting any of those plans. Most will not be a problem since the original owner is out of business. Earl Stahl is not, so I contacted him. He is OK with distributing his plans.

Basically, if you have plans drawn by someone else, they are not yours to post on a site. If you really want to share them, contact the designer or publisher for permission. It isn't hard to do. These days the internet and email make it a one or two hour process. Sometimes a letter by snail mail. Almost always get a good response from the owner.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:28 AM
Western Ky
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Yeah i figured it was illegal to post copyrighted plans. I have a Guillows Spitfire and I was going to scan in the plans and share it but then I noticed it was copyrighted.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
The second something is written it is copyrighted. Copyright has nothing to do with any "registration". You design something on a cocktail napkin and it's copyrighted. there are lots of places the will charge you a fee to "register" a copyright,.. but that means really nothing. The second you drew it, it was copyrighted, so unless something states explicitly that it's OK to share,..it isn't.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:42 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,653 Posts
Okay, just to rock the boat, here is a downloadable plan for my Morane Saulnier type L at IPS size. This one has been around a while but the published version was not from this plan, it was a hand drawn effort. Consequently, I am the copyright holder and give the plan freely.
Should you want laser cut parts, contact Charlie at Manzanolaser.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:03 PM
Western Ky
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Thanks for the plans PETERRAKE.

If anyone has any more plans that they want to share please post them.

Nicholas
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Just be sure the plans you scan in are not copyrighted. For example, if you have a Guillows kit do not scan in the plans and distribute them. It is not ethical and may not be legal. Even 'free' plans from magazines are not yours to distribute. They are not really free. The magazine has included them as part of the purchase price of the magazine.

If the person who owns the rights to the plans agrees to share, then that is fine. Like our distribution of the Peter Rake 24" EIII. We paid for the design and decided to share it with whoever wants it. All you have to do is go to the web site and download it.

'The Free Plan' page is the most commonly referred to site. But, I contacted the person who runs it and he did not obtain permission for posting any of those plans. Most will not be a problem since the original owner is out of business. Earl Stahl is not, so I contacted him. He is OK with distributing his plans.

Basically, if you have plans drawn by someone else, they are not yours to post on a site. If you really want to share them, contact the designer or publisher for permission. It isn't hard to do. These days the internet and email make it a one or two hour process. Sometimes a letter by snail mail. Almost always get a good response from the owner.

charlie
Good points. I have resized plans for use in scratch builds, and then had requests for the plans. I would tell them to simply go where I did, get the plan, and resize their own. Out of laziness, they would still request mine. I wish folks understood the ethics of this. My little EDF30 262 was build using a resised plan, derived from a publically posted plan by PND. Being a novelty, I would get the spontaneous requests of the "gotta have that" types. Just becase it was publically posted, does not mean that I neither can, nor should distribute resized versions.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Very generous of you offering the Morane L, Pete - I've replaced my magazine version with this nice crisp CAD one

Nicholas - if you want to build one, I've added a pic of mine; thoroughly recommended if you like slow, scale flight. A bigger one is still on my 'to-do' list.

Steve
Last edited by Redbaron25; Apr 15, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
…and here's one in flight. Tissue and dope finish.
Milhafre is offline Find More Posts by Milhafre
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:53 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,079 Posts
http://www.airwar.ru/other/drawe.html
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Lovely BE2e drawings in there, Mike...almost a construction manual

Steve
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
beginnerRC-ist, just some thoughts here:

First, the rc building community loves to see new, motivated builders, especially given the foam RTF trend. In my case, I regret giving away plans in the past, since only 1 guy ever built from one. (No, other's did not build without my awareness either) Not a coincidence that the guy who actually built from one of my plans wanted to pay, although I sent it free. The dead requests are why I'm sure folks here don't get too exited about plan requests. I personally would be embarrassed to ask for plans, and never have, although I have wanted them. I have a plan I'd like to find now, but won't ask, since I personally would consider it spamming the forums, given all the dead requests.

All that said, Peter Rake enjoys seeing his designs built. Build what you like, but if you built the Moraine for example, the building community would take notice. After that, you would have folks take much more interest in any of your requests, including plans.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,649 Posts
I think he does have a good idea. There are a ton of folks in here who have designed their own planes and have no desire to kit them or have the plans published. They can post their designs in here and folks can download them.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
It would be nice if there was a place at the site to actually post the file types, besides just PDF. Otherwise the person has to have a site, or email them. I just saw the 182 thread the other day, with something like 30, 50 or whatever pages of people asking for plans to be sent via email.