SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:08 AM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts
Lunch hours with my BP 50-E

I've been flying my new BP 50-E at lunch hours at a park near my employer.

I've been having a blast.

It is a simple airplane. It is merely a 1/2 sized version of my BP 100 (MAN article earlier in spring), with a thinner fuselage, no struts, and strip, rather than barn-door ailerons. 50" span, 500 sq in, ~ 3 lbs, 7 X 1700 SCR, Futaba 112b buggy ESC with BEC, Trinity speedworks 350 motor, M/A 2.5:1 gearbox, and APC 10 X 8 sport prop.

I'm getting decent performance (loop at 1/2 throttle) and good duration, even when I push the plane a bit. It's nice to be able to just raid the left-overs from a Kyosho Raider car, and come up with something that is actually a satisfying e-plane. I have to admit, though I'm, upgrading the ESC to something way more efficient, and about 1 1/3 ounces lighter.

I use 2 GWS Naro Max servos for the ailerons, and this allows flapperons, which come in handy on a rough field with 2 1/2" wheels.

It is the Teal airplane on the slide-show on my web-site.

Does anyone else have a "favorite" E-plane that they like to get out to fly with at lunch?

I can't get oil on me (I work with paint, and it would ruin the products), and really appreciate the simplicity and cleanliness of E-flying when I can sneak out in such a short time and have a nice relaxing flight.

Ron Daniels
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:15 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
May favorite lunchtime plane was my Ikarus Rumpler Taube (R.I.P.) That was great fun, loved that plane (sigh)That was one fun touch and go plane.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 08, 2001, 09:51 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
It used to be my skyscooter. I just left it in the car and when a time window would open up, (I'm a realtor), I would just stop over by the park and put in a few flights. My wife could'nt quite understand why I had to charge up the batts EVERY night. (honey, they lose charge just by sitting there.)

Unfortunatly for skyscooter my skill level has progressed to where I just have gotten kinda bored with it. I hot rodded it, decorated it and learned to fly and lots of tricks with it, but eventually you gotta move on.
Now I do this with foamie tumblewatt. It definately has the perf to keep me interested, but just is'nt a parkflyer due to its speed. That mean I have to go to the real flying field which is kinda far away so I just don't get as much airtime anymore.

I guess that any electric that can easily be kept in the car and can handle reasonable wind could qualify for a "go to " plane.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee