HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:17 AM
Joined Jun 2003
676 Posts
Discussion
Videos of spad Gyroplane

In the 1st video:
Spad Electric Gyroplane (1 min 43 sec)

I have the rotor titled back about 15o. I was running a 9X4.7 gws prop The gyro did good like this.

The 2nd video :
Spad E Gyroplane (5 min 40 sec)

I moved the motor down and put a 7X6 gws prop on it. This put the motor right at the vertical cg. I also titled the rotor forward to about 5o. The gyroplane seems to fly much better like this. I tried to move the rotor more forward but the gyroplane would just nose in each time I launched it as the blades would stop rotating.

The 9 prop was more efficient but I think the high thrust line and high tilt made the gyro inefficient as it was balancing a strong nose down tendency with power by using more aft tilt and up trim on the elevator.

As you can see the gyro is very agile. It likes to turn either way. And best of all its stable. The T tail really helps with flying it as its like watching a wing on a fixed wing so its very easy to see what is going on. I took it up high and put it in a tight spiral then let go of the controls and the gyro straightened right out and went into a vertical autorotation.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:56 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
BRAVO! That thing flies great! So you went from 15 degrees to 5...wow! Looks great man!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:59 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,818 Posts
Very nice, have you got a build thread anywhere??
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Jun 2003
676 Posts
Thanks,
No I dont have plans or a build thread. This is something I whipped up with limited stuff on hand.

It is so simple you really dont need plans.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781