HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Discussion
P-47 Bubble Top (41" wingspan) w/ Retracts & Scale 4-Bladed Prop from Hobby Lobby

Update on 11/7/2009:

Plane is now available for purchase! http://www.hobby-lobby.com/p_47_thun...60696_prd1.htm

Quote:
41" wingspan, 35" long, 258 sq. in. wing area, 27 oz. flying weight. Nearly everything is included in the box. Add your radio system (5 channel min.), Lipo battery charger and a small amount of 5-minute epoxy for gluing the tail feathers in place and you are ready to go. All pre-painted molded foam construction with the decals pre-installed and coated with a clear polyurethane spray for durability. The powerful outrunner brushless motor (1050kv) has plenty of power to swing the scale 11" 4-bladed propeller. The 25A speed control is pre-installed and connected using Genuine Dean's Ultra connectors, as does the supplied 3-cell 1650 mAh Lipo flight battery. Sturdy mechanical retracts are pre-installed in the wings and pre-connected to the retract servo. The gear legs have scale gear doors attached; tail wheel is steerable with rudder input. Includes a complete and set of illustrated instructions with all control throws and CG information clearly presented. Tips on Lipo battery care and flying are included as well. Charge the flight battery with your Lipo battery charger and you are ready to fly.
-----------------------------------------------
Original Post from April 11, 2009:

I stopped by Hobby Lobby today, and while I was checking out at the register, I saw a bubble top P-47 with retracts hanging behind the counter. It hasn't been officially announced yet, and I was asked not to post any pictures of it, but since it's hanging there for all to see I figured there shouldn't be any problem in at least mentioning it.

I noticed a good bit of scale molding on the fuse with little scoops and humps, gun barrels protruding from the wings, and what looked to be pretty substantial retracts and good sized wheels. It's a foam bird, but it's definitely bigger than the E-Flite P-47. Wingspan looked to be 40+ inches.

I still want E-Flite to bring back the Jug, but for those of us pining for another good looking P-47 and wanting retracts included, it looks like Hobby Lobby may have something for us very soon.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Last edited by PerlAddict; Nov 07, 2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Oh man....any other details? Does it come with a power plant? No power system? Will it be available from the online store? I gotta get one....really wanted that Eflite one but got into the hobby only a year ago.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,301 Posts
Um..its not this one is it?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/p-47_6902_prd1.htm
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Hmm. tag for answer.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:57 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
Too cool - can't wait to see it. Just flew my Alfa Jug last night the kids that were there though the retracts were ultra cool - so do I.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Definitely not the Alfa ... like I said, it's bigger than the E-Flite P-47 (or AS big, as least ... they might be close, but this appeared a little bit larger). The Alfa is quite a bit smaller. The foam on this looked more like your standard EPS foam, not the skinned depron Alfa uses. Although I have to say, the foam looked very nice and smooth.

No idea about the power plant ... my guess is that it would come as a RTF package from Hobby Lobby, knowing them, and maybe as an ARF minus the Tx and Rx. That's how they usually offer their birds. It had their new four-blade variable pitch prop on the front of it.

It was done up in the Hun Hunter scheme, tail wheel was in a scale location instead of being right under the rudder, and while it didn't have flaps installed, there were distinct lines for where to cut the flaps as well as additional pre-carved areas to install servos and control horns for them. The struts had strut covers on them, too, which looked a lot nicer than just the bare wire hanging down. Wheels actually looked very scale, too ... almost dead on match to the full size pictures, and not those weird skinny wheels with hubs that are too wide and smaller tire areas that you seem to see a lot.

It's definitely on my short list when it becomes available. =)

Edit: Just pulled out my E-Flite P-47 to refresh my memory. The one at Hobby Lobby was definitely bigger.
Last edited by PerlAddict; Apr 11, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:12 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Interesting...now go back and take a pic and post it here..
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
I took some pics, but they asked me point blank not to post them, and I don't want bite the hand that feeds me.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:14 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
As one of the many who missed out on the E-Flite version and currently involved with others in trying to get them to bring it back this is just to good to be true!! I don't even care that it's a bubble top version. It's the size and the fact that it has retracts, and also that it's made of foam (for those of us newer folk who still aren't sure of our abilities too build and repair balsa models) that has me excited!! I can not wait!! I will buy it for sure! So, no idea at all when it will be available or rough price range?

E-Flite/Horizon Hobby....you paying attention to this? LOL Now you'll see how many folks would have bought yours if you'd brought it back. And hwy....doesn't mean ya still can't! nothing wrong with a little friendly competition.
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:23 AM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
I have seen this one also, and it is a nice P-47. It really loks good with the scale 4blade prop they have.
FAR better than e-flights imo.

Travis
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
i am looking forward to this release too! i have the eflite jug......it was my first arf and i built it when i was just starting out. it still flys great but is nearing retirement status. this one might be the perfect replacement! bummer about the news/pics black out.........

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Are you sure you saw a foam model?

There is a new P-47D bubble canopy version with retract coming from world models that is about the same size as E-flite P47

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995284
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:33 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon

There is a new P-47D bubble canopy version with retract coming from world models that is about the same size as E-flite P47

Am I sure I saw a foam model????????
Are you really serious???
Does a bear in the woods???
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:03 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon

I took three pictures of it and was standing 8 inches away ... I am absolutely positive. Look at the picture of the P-47 you linked to. It doesn't come in the scheme I mentioned. The tail wheel is in a very non-scale location way back under the rudder. There are no molded humps and scoops. There are no pre-defined panel lines for cutting out and installing flaps, or pre-made moldings for the flap servos and control horns. And I failed to mention it before, but the cowl on the H/L P-47 has a molded motor face in it, versus the open design of the World Models one.

Completely different, and I wouldn't be the least bit excited about the World Models one if that's what I had seen. That thing looks ... toyish.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf nut
Am I sure I saw a foam model????????
Are you really serious???
Does a bear in the woods???

No offense but some foam models like those from Alfa and Flyingstyro kits are not easily recognized as foam models though they are actually made of foam. Alfa and Flying Styro kits 'foam' models look more like nice plastic display models due to the fact that they have a smooth hardened and painted skin over the internal depron foam. They also have hard plastic protection for key areas. No bare foam is visible like the E-flite P47 and GWS style EPS foam models.

shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon