1,220 Posts
Which markings would be best for this sled? British, french, usa, can
joemach1 is offline Find More Posts by joemach1
Old May 06, 2009, 01:27 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Dude, we all know you build fast but come on.....You've got at least three days before you have to worry about paint!

Dan. (loosing sight of this guy)
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old May 06, 2009, 01:37 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,220 Posts
Dan, I am talking about the silver and red one.
joemach1 is offline Find More Posts by joemach1
Old May 06, 2009, 01:50 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old May 06, 2009, 04:45 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
I have the plans somewhere for the Paul Janssens Mk24 Spit (maybe one day I'll get round to building it!)...

From memory, he gets round the issues you've been talking about by cutting two panels (with different tapers) per wing half, joining them, then sanding away the smaller amount of excess foam at the tip and panel joins. Slightly more work at the panel cutting stage, but it should give a more accurate airfoil overall. Certainly if I was going for a 1/4 scale version as you are in the long term, I'd investigate this option. What you've got still looks awesome though!
Matty,

Do you know where I can obtain a copy of this plan? I have lots of projects running, but would like to build one in the fullness of time. (I hope it is full!)
What airfoil is used on PSS planes like this one? I have heard of RG 14/15. Is a MH42 suitable?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; May 06, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old May 06, 2009, 04:57 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,127 Posts
Jim,

QFI 46 Aug/Sept 2000 has the Paul Janssens Spitty. Traplet might be able to help. Or PM me for further options.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old May 06, 2009, 06:23 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,146 Posts
Chris,

Pardon my ignorance, but what is QFI?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.
Old May 06, 2009, 06:36 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello
Matty,

Do you know where I can obtain a copy of this plan? I have lots of projects running, but would like to build one in the fullness of time. (I hope it is full!)
Sorry Jim, the link I posted was a dud when it came to ordering wasn't it! Here's one to Paul's full site, which explains how to order from him:

http://www.pjmodelclassics.be/

I'm not sure whether or not plans are still available via this route, but Paul is a very helpful chap, so I'm sure he can dig one out for you. Failing that you can buy the plan online for 8 squid from Traplet here. Do get it though - you'll be rewarded with a delightful model (I was lucky enough to acquire Paul's original Macchi 202 prototype, and it's one of my most prized possessions!).

Quote:
What airfoil is used on PSS planes like this one? I have heard of RG 14/15. Is a MH42 suitable?
An interesting question - there seems to be a split between the US and the rest of the world. The US guys generally use thinner, faster sections on their PSS ships like those you list whilst stretching the planforms and slimming the fuses subtly to gain and exciting flight performance (having amazing slopes like Cajon and Fermin also helps!). In Europe our PSS models are generally more accurate in scale terms, but with slower liftier sections to make up for the lack of wing area and higher drag. This leads to excellent, scale-like flight in good lift, but not much flight at all in low-med conditions (a generalisation, but often true especially of the piston fighters and swept wing jets)!

Who's right? Well, it's a matter of choice, but I side with those who optimise for flight performance over scale accuracy - after all, most of us build to fly, not for the joy of building. I plan to scratch build of my own PSS models over the next few years, and they're going to err in that direction, with faster more slippery sections. Having said all of that, I believe Paul used S3021 on most of his PSS models, and they all fly great even in low lift...

Star, Hawk and Macchi over Cilan (4 min 11 sec)

PS - I suspect all of your original sections would be fine for a fast PSS bird for med-high lift conditions. What wouldn't is Clark Y - that's what the PJ Models Hawk in the vid is sporting, and you can see it's not a good choice! (to be fair though, this was one of the very first PSS kits made available in the UK in the 80s)

PPS...
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is QFI?
Quiet Flight International (now Quiet and Electric Flight International) - a UK comic for soarers (well, it used to be before it was taken over by reviews for electric park fliers... ).
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; May 06, 2009 at 06:47 AM.