Thanks Laird,
joemach1 is offline Find More Posts by joemach1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:49 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
more pix

glassing the fuse with two layers of 9oz then brushed resin on it and let it sit for 12 hrs.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
The Truth is Not Forgotten
Hotchkiss Co.
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
Joe you make it look sooo easy. you seem to build a plane every 2 wks. I can't keep up barley.So is the glass a single piece or 2,and how do you deal with the seam or over lap ?
peteapilot is offline Find More Posts by peteapilot
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,645 Posts
Joe,

Dang, You work as fast as lightning. She looks like shes coming along real fast.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
glassing fuse

I use one piece of fiberglass starting at the top of the canopy and run it all the way down and under to the bottom . I trim the glass before it starts the radias so the bottom has four layers on it when you are done. Some spots are a little tricky but try to keep it clean as you can and the sanding is way easier. I like to keep an eye on the fuse when the epoxy is getting set so you can deal with troubled spots.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
wing pix

Finish layup and get the wings in the vac. Bag.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:36 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,333 Posts
So reading the pics, the process goes:

Prep core
Cut mylars to exact shape
Cut glass oversize
Wet-out and layer as needed
Place mylars onto core
Place taco into bag and remove air
Remove all wrinkles and bring vac up to required
Wait......
Remove flashing and sand to shape
??????

The bit I'm interested in is that you cut the mylars to exact shape and DON'T trim the glass before bagging. Maybe I've not been looking much but everyone else seems to cut the mylars slightly oversize at the TE and trims the glass to match the mylars after wet out.

Does having the glass overhanging at TE/LE reduce the accuracy of placing the mylars onto the cores? I've always taped the TE/LE together with a small gap to reduce handling problems, but I might have to give it a go your way.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:06 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
mylars

Steve, I always tape my trailing edge of mylars together but in this case of the shape of the wing you cant tape them together when they are closed and then open them to lay them up. The trailing edge of the mylars are 1/4 to3/8 oversize and the leading edge comes right to the front of the leading edge of the foam but not touching the mylars together this would create a air pocket you dont want. 1/16 back from the leading edge works really good when you have painted mylars because it brings the paint right to the front of the cores. These are primer but you get my point.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:20 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
I go camping for a couple of days and come back to see the guy has another one almost ready to fly.

Looks good Homer!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Got to work on the plane Monday and tue. some so later I will post some pics. It bench flying today.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Got to work on the plane Monday and tue. some so later I will post some pics. It bench flying
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Joe, you don't get points here for the number of post's.
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds