HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:38 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Build Log
Spitfire Fr MK XIVe fest 09 build

I want to do a 1/4 scale of one of these but dont have the nadds right now or the time so a teaser to start with 1/9 scale.
joemach1 is offline Find More Posts by joemach1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:18 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Very nice Joe how did you do the wings.Will be watching this tread with intrest.

Shane:Who loves PSS models
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:25 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Shane, Funny you should ask that. It started with the wings waiting for some epoxy to set up I grabbed these cores that had no project on them. I drew some lines on them and cut them out. Started sanding on them and it looked like they might just work. 20 min. later I talked myself into doing the other one and the spitfire had to get built. I post a few pics. of the wings.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:39 AM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
wings from single taper cores

I didnt want to use pink foam but they were on the self so off I went.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:44 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Very good move.I didnt know if you cut them eliptical of just cut and sanded the plan form.Keep going dont let me distract you from your work.

Shane:Who should be out working on my F4U
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:02 AM
Composites Kid
Lima, Peru
Joined Jul 2008
3,122 Posts
Wow!

I envy your skill and speed!

PS how did you get the elliptical planform?
Alex.Schweig is offline Find More Posts by Alex.Schweig
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:11 AM
powered by caffine
Akron, New York
Joined May 2004
935 Posts
looks awesome already,cant wait to see how it looks when you are finished
FredM is online now Find More Posts by FredM
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:59 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Schweig
Wow!

I envy your skill and speed!

PS how did you get the elliptical planform?

You can see from the wing blanks that he cut a standard wing and sawed out the elliptical wing from that. I bet he then spent a few minutes with a sanding block tapering the trailing edge back down and rounding off the Leading edge. That's sorta similar to what I do on my spit wings. It works like a charm!

He did make one small error though. You need to start out with a wider core than you think because in order to get a proper looking ellipse you also need to whack a little leading and trailing edge off at the tip.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Apr 11, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Your right TFLG but the cores were only 10" and i wish the were 12 it would have been much easier to get the real look. Did what I could with it and it will look ok. By the time I get the trailing edge wing faring put on it will look a lot better too. Not to perfect scale but a fun project. I wish I had your skills on scale stuff Laird.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Man, it took me like 6 spit wings before I got one to look right. I wish I would have busted my hump on my new spit. I'm working on a new larger 1/10th scale plug. Well, working on it might be an exaggeration. I've started laying it out and drawing it up. At the speed I work at I'll be lucky to have it done for the 2011 PSS Fest.... I wish I had your energy Joe!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:59 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
Laird, with a 60" wing what size tail would be right for the wing size? I was thinking 14" on the stab.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
Laird, with a 60" wing what size tail would be right for the wing size? I was thinking 14" on the stab.

You want scale?

A scale horizontal would be 17" for a 60" wing on that model spit. For gliders I always bump that up since you don't have a big engine blowing air across it.

Here is a scale tail for a 60" span
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ramona Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
1,211 Posts
If you have the info for the fin and rudder to with the stab at least the tail group would be TFLG approved. Where do you come up with this stuff Laird. I was hoping that it would be bigger than what I had on paper and pleased to see the size. Your help is greatly appreciated. The fuse for a 60" wing seamed to be around 53" also but that just didnt look right to me unless the root of the wing would be 13-14" then maybe so. My fuse nose to tail will be 43-44". Hopefully this effort will do it justice when finished. Also I was thinking 3/8 thick on the stab with a foil shaped into it. Same for the fin unless you think its too much but 1/4 seemed to thin to me.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:01 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Here's the fin I have for a Mk XIV at 60" span. remember though this is for a scale fuse of 53". It might be a skosh big on a smaller fuse. For a 44" long fuse the dimensions of the vertical should be 8.25" tall and 9.38 long

TFLG