How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy77 View Post
Cheers Goody
Thanks for getting back to me.

That's great. Will try to get down this weekend weather permitting.
Hope to meet up soon.

Wattsy
Had another thought; if you like to fly in clubs, WARMS or KAMS are both down our way.

I believe WARMS in particular has a strong Helo membership.

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Yeah did think of the WARMS. but with the winds that can blow from the coast shy's me away.
I take it that they have finally surcome to the Heli side of things.
A few years ago there wasn't many down there and they didn't care too much for them.

To be honest... Just to fly with other like minded is all I'm after. Weather it is club bound or not. I understand the insurance side of things is fantastic.

Is anyone still flying at the park near Murdock?
My wife works Saturday and I spend time with the kidlets and get the house jobs done. Sunday is the best time to get free.

Hope you have a good fly tomorrow if you are going down.
Wattsy77 is offline Find More Posts by Wattsy77
Old May 18, 2012, 05:52 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy77 View Post
Yeah did think of the WARMS. but with the winds that can blow from the coast shy's me away.
I take it that they have finally surcome to the Heli side of things.
A few years ago there wasn't many down there and they didn't care too much for them.

To be honest... Just to fly with other like minded is all I'm after. Weather it is club bound or not. I understand the insurance side of things is fantastic.

Is anyone still flying at the park near Murdock?
My wife works Saturday and I spend time with the kidlets and get the house jobs done. Sunday is the best time to get free.

Hope you have a good fly tomorrow if you are going down.
Things have become fairly restrictive down at Murdoch since the WACA took over.

We've been going gently, gently down there (e.g. no EDFs or pushers etc) but I did fly a glider there today whilst Bill flew his Addiction.

I'm sure an electric helo wouldn't be an issue either (I've flown my 500 down there recently).

Sorry you can't make it tomorrow and most of us will be heading to Pearce on Sunday.

Probably be there on a Sunday over the next couple of weeks though.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2012
60 Posts
Hi everyone,

Im a newby getting into RC, live down at South Lake, so looking for some people to go flying with and also a place to fly where e-flyers can without the hassels (Rangers, animals and people) any advice would be good ?

Not sure if Murdoch is ok anymore or if Sutherlands Park (Southern River) would be a better choice ?

Anyone formed an electric club/park flyers south of Perth yet ??
stretch_h is offline Find More Posts by stretch_h
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
I fly several times a week at Sutherland Park - no hassles so far, but you would need to be a competent pilot, as it is definately a shared park, lots of dog walkers and the occasional footy training session. I only fly e-gliders here, as I try to respect the other users of the park. FWIW

I'm also a member of KAMS (an awesome club BTW) but Sutherlands is closer and just a whole lot easier to get to after work, mid-week.
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch_h View Post
Hi everyone,

Im a newby getting into RC, live down at South Lake, so looking for some people to go flying with and also a place to fly where e-flyers can without the hassels (Rangers, animals and people) any advice would be good ?

Not sure if Murdoch is ok anymore or if Sutherlands Park (Southern River) would be a better choice ?

Hi there Stretch

A few of us still occasionally fly at Murdoch but only small and very quiet stuff.

Most of us now also go to Sutherlands Park. Mainly on a Sat morning from around 07:00. Generally speaking we try and leave before the footy starts to get going around 09:30.

As mentioned; its a great set of ovals but there is a lot of users (hence why we get there early and leave early).

Most of us are still MAAA members but still like to fly at Sutherland.

Also speaking of Sutherland Park, here's a video of my A-10 'maiden' from Saturday morning.

See you there sometime.

Cheers

LX A-10 Warthog (4 min 32 sec)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:14 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
sutherland park

Ha Dave,hows it been?
About sutherland,are you guys flying there every w/end? as I'm in forrestfield still flying at Hartfield,but as always by myself which is starting to loss its appeal,so I'm find myself flying less an less.
Jeff
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
478 Posts
Murdoch ...um, not so RC friendly anymore

Hiya Guys,
I've been sitting on this info for a while not knowing whether to list it here so you had "denability" ...but I figure you may have forgotten that you read this if it doesn;t suit your needs.

Ok, as a few of you know, I work at Murdoch uni. In the past I have had a good semi-formal agreement from the powers that be we could all use the oval freely for rc flying. Since the surface rebuild I went to get an updated agreement. Needless to say the scene has changed. I'll spare you the details but they said that after spending millions of $$ and now that the ovals are the official WACA training space, they don't want anyone fromt the public using it for anything. Aparently after this investment they are patrolling it and fining people. They instead forwarded me the price list for hiring the "venue" if we were really keen ...It costs hundreds per hour
I tried a range of gentle diplomatic negotiations none of which made traction.

So thats the latest - sorry guys. But as I say, feel free to forget you ever read this.
Cheers,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch_h View Post
Hi everyone,

pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
A10 flys real good ,at 1 stage it looked like it was going to stall seems like it floats along.
Did you buy that off Rob(JetA1)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Thanks Matt for the update.....scrape 1 flying venue
Jeff
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,910 Posts
Firstly 'thanks' Matt for that update. No more flying at Murdoch

Jeff, yep we're generally at Southern River every Sat morning.....early.

It does get pretty busy as the morning progresses (kids footy) so we generally move to a quiet corner or leave by 09:30.

And yep that's Rob's old A-10. I got it 4th hand!! 2nd and 3rd ones lost interest after a few issues that were stopping it getting airborne.

I was a smidgen off a stall whilst I was playing with the flaps at low throttle. It was 2 mistakes high at the time!! I believe they do have a very nasty stall if pushed!!

Hope to see you soon.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:21 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
887 Posts
1st timer - I'm across the highway in Wattle Grove. Flown at Hartfield a few times but also pop down the highway to Gosnells sports fields, between the fields and the Tonkin is a large open park area, very few trees and not many people around.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Cool must catch up sometimeIve seen the park your talking about but never though of going as the few times Ive accually wanted to check it out its blowing like a whore.

Dave .....with it as cold as it is atm,I'm still thinking about getting outta bed when your ready ta go,anyway I'd like ta hav a fly this w/end so I hope ta make it
Cheers
Jeff
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:35 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
887 Posts
Here is quick map.
Les.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:49 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Here is quick map.
Les.
Hey Les - thanks for that. I regularly fly at Sutherlands mid-week and fly at KAMS on the weekends. My father-in-law (who flies a Radian in-between crashing it into things ) lives just down the road from this park in Gosnells. Tried flying on this sporting field a couple of times and it got crowded really quick. I'll be keen to give this spot a go. Never thought that you could go over to the bit you highlighted... Thanks for the heads up!

Tim
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography