HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:42 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
At least you dont use o-rings...

My prop come off during a mid level harrier... , luckily there was enough height to get some speed to quickly fly it in, but it was definitely pretty exciting.

Id love to have a 260. Been looking ever since it came out, and even accidentally ordered on one the website (but promptly cancelled it). Now i wish i hadnt cancelled my order because on the PA site, the package is worth 780 or something, and my accidental order was 590 for the same setup.That difference in cost will get me another of my foamys complete. but yes, id love to see all the planes on sunday.

Weather seems pretty perfect in the mornings. right now its sunrise (doing assignments... GHAHHH) and the trees are all perfectly still.

Owen
osmium_192 is offline Find More Posts by osmium_192
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:12 AM
The Hippy
Perth - Australia
Joined Nov 2008
233 Posts
It was lovely weather this morning

Late night tonight, shall be building another plane - YAY !
ddoth is offline Find More Posts by ddoth
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:40 AM
Perth
Joined Jun 2007
163 Posts
Won't be able to make it tomorrow guys due to work commitments The radian maiden will have to wait till the following weekend
The Touch is offline Find More Posts by The Touch
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:56 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Flying 26/04/09

A small turnout this morning (only 3 flying - 2 watching) but almost perfect conditions.

Unfortunately we all made the 'least' of the conditions and all had incidents.

'First Timer' did a bit of damage to his profile , PA Extra and Mini Titan Helo. 3 out of 3. Is that a hat trick? But all intermingled with some good flying.

I snapped the nose off my Mini Delta for the 3rd time. Hopefully it will last long enough for it's upcoming brushless inrunner conversion!

Lastly we were treated to some nice 3D flying by 'Osmium 192' and his very nice scratch built foamie. One of the nicest foamies any of us had ever seen. Nice detail and quality right through to its cf landing gear.

Unfortunately Osmiuim to had a little crash. Luckily (for him) it was while he was flying my Electric Shock!!

All good though Owen and its right to go again already.

Anyway a little footage of Osmium flying his foamie below. You can see why I wanted him to try my Electric Shock!

ScaratchBuiltFoamieMurdoch1 (2 min 29 sec)

Cheers

Dave
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Last edited by Goody63; Apr 26, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:48 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Electric Shock Repairs

Owen just in case you were worrying about the Electric Shock - thought I'd show the repairs carried out today.

What did all the damage was the (very unforgiving) cf undercarriage catching on the ground. Its apparently quite common for a es to suffer this sort of damage due to the weak attachment area on the fuselage.

I know most people fly these without the undercarriage but I just prefer the look with the wheels on. No matter how impracticall it may be!

Anyway I ca'd all the splinters back together today then reinforced it with 1mm ply epoxied on both sides (looks abit like your profile now Jeff).

Also put in a faster elevator servo Owen

The result should be a much stronger nose and undercarriage mount area.
Last edited by Goody63; Apr 26, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:21 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Ah first off apologies to dave, the electric shock was a little harder to fly than I had expected, and it came down pretty quick... But good to hear is fixed, and hopefully less likely to break again in the undercarriage mount area. (just read your post, was writing my own) and DANG didnt remember it looking that bad. wow. But your repairs look pretty clean, so thats well done on your part. (good thing we dont need to deal with fuel and oil going everywhere)

SO today really was not the best of days with soo many "not so great" moments... But the weather was ok. I think we should try flying up the other side of the field. The sun really does get in the way of the flying. (somehow every field ends up being really difficult with the sun because parking is always on the southern end of the field.)

Jeff (and everyone else interested)
3DBatix.com really has dissapeared. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892655
Heres a link which has some recovered files from the site. The 330 extra is the one I based my foamy on. I just increased the fuse area below the wing to balance it out (KE stability? and lift), increased the wing area and reduced the aileron area (accidental), increased the tail surface area, especially the rudder, and then made the fuse a box to hide the electronics, oh and added the pseudo airfoil to the wing.

The funny thing is my first foamy scratchbuilt (second plane) a vertigooo from amjd.ch took me too long to build, from start to finish like over a 1 year) since it was a profile foamy with a built up fuse and I had to spend more of my time on my studies, so the extra was meant to be a quicker build with the cross fuselage. But I ended up doing up the fuse and everything anyway, so it still took me over half a year to complete it. I only build planes once every couple of years anyway, and the red extra is my third foamy since starting to fly foam 5 years ago. The really annoying part is how I lost my mini twinjet copy off the top of my car. That was my newest foamy that was soooooo fun to fly, Soo new I havent even got pictures of it, except a self filmed 30 second clip where I couldnt adjust throttle, and had some close calls. That plane was made up of hobbycity parts, and they worked fine.

http://www.amjd.ch/vertigo.php
Heres a link to the vertigo from the french site amjd.ch

And a picture of my recent loss.

Anyways.... Is anyone flying tomorrow?

Owen
Last edited by osmium_192; Apr 26, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:34 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
ACtually, just looking at the repairs dave, would nylon bolts be a good idea? maybe they can take the damage instead. So the UC would come off instead of breaking something else.

They look like M3 bolts, so nylon would be easy to get - check altronics.com.au
Its an electronics supplier for the trade, and they also have a pretty comprehensive stock for the store shopper. Given its not for "hobby" purposes, they tend to be more reasonable with prices. I buy my heatshink (and all other electronic parts) from here. its like $1-8 for a 1.2m length of heatshrink depending on diameter.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=H2927
there we go. $5.20 for a pack of 25 bolts and nuts.
(and its an australian company based in perth (for once))

Owen
Last edited by osmium_192; Apr 26, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium_192
ACtually, just looking at the repairs dave, would nylon bolts be a good idea? maybe they can take the damage instead. So the UC would come off instead of breaking something else.
Hey Owen.

Thanks for that.

Great idea about the nylon bolts and I'll follow it up.

I'm hoping that the new elevator servo may make a difference to its flying. Also a tamer prop might settle it back down too (I was running a borrowed 9 x 7.5 today after my 10x3.8 almost shook it to death).

I wont be able to make it tomorrow but hope to get down there sometime next weekend.

Oh and by the way; great foamie building!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
mmm monday might be too hard for me now.. too early in the morning to get enough sleep for a safe flight. Dang assignments, and treatment planning writeups (and looking for what kind of plane to build next. Tempted to rebuild my minijet, more fun than a stryker at a fraction of the cost. Might do that at the end of this year.

Owen
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:18 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Hi guys,
this is the damage report for sunday's flying events..well the profile haz a broken nose and a broken back so the verdict is ...RIP my ole' friend.

The mini titan came out pretty good considering it looked real bad ,I bent the main shaft and had a boom strike which demo'd the rotor's and what caused the crash was that bloody Ace Power battery.It had puffed like a muffin..
Verdict battery failure Bin it..KILL it,might try to blow it up by over charging or somethin' i've got an old charger..hehehehe soundes abit childish I know but I need closure in defence for a friend who never let's me down when called upon..DEATH TO THE BATTERY.

And the Extra well that is easy fixed only UC support..
Bad landing..must pactice landings,the approach looked OK at the time..I thought

Well it's time to build some foamies,I've downloaded a few plans yesterday including a 42" profile Edge 540 so that will be interesting to see the out come,first time building from plans and all

cheers an beers for now
Jeff

Ps...hope to see ya's next w/end with new creation..fingers crossed
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:16 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer
Hi guys,
this is the damage report for sunday's flying events..well the profile haz a broken nose and a broken back so the verdict is ...RIP my ole' friend.

The mini titan came out pretty good considering it looked real bad ,I bent the main shaft and had a boom strike which demo'd the rotor's and what caused the crash was that bloody Ace Power battery.It had puffed like a muffin..

And the Extra well that is easy fixed only UC support..
Bad landing..must pactice landings,the approach looked OK at the time..I thought

Well it's time to build some foamies,I've downloaded a few plans yesterday including a 42" profile Edge 540 so that will be interesting to see the out come,first time building from plans and all

cheers an beers for now
Jeff

Ps...hope to see ya's next w/end with new creation..fingers crossed
Hey Jeff

Sorry to hear about your profile (was a nice plane that) but good only minimal damage to the rest.

Im expecting that now that the Electric Shock has a 'reinforced' nose - the next crash will just result in damage further up the fuselage.

I'll be interested to see how you go with the foamie.

I've had a sheet of 3mm and 6mm depron for about a year but still haven't got around to building anything yet.

Give us some progress reports if you get a chance.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:24 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
What else can you use thats weaker than nylon bolts.. even they might be too strong.
Hot glue... through the bolt hole, and then squashed at the ends like a rivet. Technique sensitive, and too weak.. Smaller 2mm nylons + sleeves?

At least if its stronger, the forces WILL be spread over more of the existing fuse, so less likely to break again. Really want the UC bolts to break first. Maybe devise a way to hold them in with rubber bands (like the good old days)

Jeff,
Really sorry to hear that the profile isnt going to continue flying. Hows the flying surfaces? still good for another plane/rebuild? Ive always liked the way that wing looked, you should build another fuse for it.

What plans did you end up choosing for your foamy 42" is a decent sized foamy!. (mines 37" btw)

I didnt end up going flying today, luckily I remembered I had a group project meeting to attend this morning!

Owen
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:20 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium_192
What else can you use thats weaker than nylon bolts.. even they might be too strong.Owen
Was thinking I may even be able to thread a sparky tie through the holes?

However will probably go nylon bolts.

Anyway hoping to have the epp extra finished for the weekend (and give the es a well deserved rest).
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Look forward to seeing the progress. THis weekend could be good again!

(tis the season to be flying)

Owen
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:34 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Well you've heard of reserection,the profile has done it...Yaaah .With a little TLC it's back in the air..
still working on the shock flyer,4hrs making the templates and cutting out the foam,at this rate wont be seeing it fly this w/end still hav to get hinges,carbon,speedy,battery and a few other things.
Seeya sunday
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer