HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
Smyrna, TN
Joined Jan 2005
331 Posts
Hey Nathan,
Will you be offering a pre-order option for the Avitron? Depending on price I will be first in line.

Dave
DESIGN ENGNR is online now Find More Posts by DESIGN ENGNR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsalazar
I'm sort of new to ornithopters so maybe the controllers are very different but why not make it compatible with normal spread spectrum tx like bind-n-fly vapors, etc?
Because you'd have to sell Horizon on it and the price would go up. (Waaay up.) The traditional RC aircraft manufacturer/distributors in the US have always seemed to thumb their noses at ornithopters, although there are those that can be outfitted with hobby grade electronics aftermarket or sold without and are made to accept them. I fly my Cybirds PI and PII with my DX7 and the AR6100 RX.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2003
301 Posts
Sorry Dave. I do not offer any pre-ordering options, due to the experience I had with Hobbytechnik (Sean Kinkade), of ordering birds and never having them delivered. I know for a fact that de Ruymbeke is a much more reliable company. They have been supplying the Tim Bird for 40 years! But still, RC ornithopters are a complicated affair, and the release date cannot be certain. Unexpected delays can happen, and I don't want to leave customers waiting.
NChronister is offline Find More Posts by NChronister
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:04 PM
Smyrna, TN
Joined Jan 2005
331 Posts
I understand. Just be sure to save one for me once they are in stock.

Dave
DESIGN ENGNR is online now Find More Posts by DESIGN ENGNR
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
Jets are my drug of choice!
wellsville, ohio
Joined Mar 2007
595 Posts
nathan is there any rough estimate on the pricing i understand this could change but what is a ball park estimate. thanks
the_only_kris_20 is offline Find More Posts by the_only_kris_20
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2003
301 Posts
I think it's supposed to be around $70. I know that's a bit more than some of the other toy RC ornithopters, but it really is a much better model. It has a 2.4 GHz radio and more importantaly, it flies much better than any micro model I've flown.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
Joined Oct 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChronister
The Avitron is much smaller, and so it would be better for flying in your back yard. The Fenice/Eledove flies pretty fast all the time, but the Avitron can be adjusted for either fast or slow flying. You would adjust it for the slower speed for flying in smaller areas, and the higher speed for larger areas and more wind.
Sounds like the perfect ornithopter! Can't wait to see it available on your site...be sure to post on here also as soon as you have it...sounds like we are all very eager to get it!

(P.S. Thanks for the quick ship on the cybird body last week...saw your note...totally fine....great service Nathan...thanks!)
newflyer100 is offline Find More Posts by newflyer100
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:45 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Hi Nathan , when bird is about ready or close to selling; Can you post some detailed pics? I have saved footage of it from youtube. This is a beautiful little bird close up!
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
I wonder how well the glide factor is...on the youtube vids it seemed to spiral down everytime it stopped flapping.
OrniGuy2 is offline Find More Posts by OrniGuy2
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
126 Posts
X-TIM Avitron (4 min 3 sec)

Not a great shot of it, but from 2:10 through 2:21 on the video it seems to be gliding straight...
newflyer100 is offline Find More Posts by newflyer100
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:09 AM
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Thanks for the post...maybe the spiral was intent and or maybe just sometimes the glide is good...guess we'll see when we are able to purchase it
OrniGuy2 is offline Find More Posts by OrniGuy2
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2003
301 Posts
The glide depends on where the wings stop. Unlike some larger RC ornithopters, the force of lift on the wings does not seem to push the wings up into a V. Therefore the wings will stop at various angles when the motor shuts off. Sometimes the Avitron will glide quite well, and other times it will not glide well. I would say the likelihood of getting a good glide on any given attempt is about the same as with a ratchet-type glide device. I felt it was just like flying one of the larger, more expensive RC ornithopters.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:35 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Earth, System of Sol, Milky Way Galaxy
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
Any idea when these will be available? I'd order one in a heartbeat.
demisemiquaver is offline Find More Posts by demisemiquaver
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
"Ordering birds from HobbyTechnik ( Sean Kinkade) and *NEVER* having them delivered"...Nathan? Late yes, in fact very late, but NEVER? You said "never".
You clearly have them in stock now so obviously I delivered.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Last edited by Kinkade; Oct 02, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:09 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade
"I owe several people Pterodactyls from '06."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade
"Ordering birds from HobbyTechnik ( Sean Kinkade) and *NEVER* having them delivered"...Nathan? Late yes, in fact very late, but NEVER? You sad "never".
You clearly have them in stock now so who delivered them? The Easter Bunny? And you posted this when? 9-11?."

At least the easter bunny delivers once a year.

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
Last edited by swami; Oct 03, 2009 at 04:32 AM.